Seat Counters - 2023/24

When we used to get the scoreboard end standing we always used to get a strip of seats level with the edge of the penalty box in the main stand there. It went from front to back, right next to where the away end is now. My memory tells me it was 850 seats but I don't know where I've got that from. I remember being at Anfield around the same time and we got a similar allocation.
Did we never get seats above the Scoreboard paddock back in the day?, as i kid i was perched on the front of the stand with my legs dangling through the fences but i was never sure where our seated fans were sat there.

I remember Man United/ARsenal semi final replay being half empty on the telly and I remember thinking "It must have been hard work sorting tickets out at short notice because that game would normally sell out". And that was that. I swear that's how it used to be.
10000 below Capacity, never mentioned by them funnily enough!!

I didn't know about the reduced capacity due to Hillsborough but they still got crowds over 47k. There was definitely no further reduction for the derby so I believe my point still stands
No they didnt. The reduced capacity (following the All seater requirement) was 43k so 47k as you quote was impossible. Their capacity at certain periods was down to 30/35k around that time.

There were 100% reductions for Derby’s. One year, 93/94 (pre all seater) United were given the standing away end (Scoreboard Paddock) due to redevelopment for most of that season and late on City were given a small number of tickets (400/500 tickets possibly) in the corner of the Scoreboard paddock, under the current away end. I remember as i got a ticket. Also Richard Edghill was stood with us.

Last edited:
No they didnt. The reduced capacity (following the All seater requirement) was 43k so 47k as you quote was impossible.

There were reductions for Derby’s. One year, either 93/94 (pre all seater) United were given the standing away end (Scoreboard Paddock) due to redevelopment for most of theat season and late on City were given a small number of tickets (400/500 tickets possibly) in the corner of the Scoreboard paddock, under the current away end. I remember as i got a ticket.
Old Trafford definitely wasn't all seater in 89/90. They got over 47k against Arsenal for the opening game of the season. They got over 46k for the Liverpool match a couple of weeks after the Brightwell Derby. There was definitely no extra restrictions for the derby, they just couldn't be arsed.

Did we never get seats above the Scoreboard paddock back in the day?, as i kid i was perched on the front of the stand with my legs dangling through the fences but i was never sure where our seated fans were sat there.
Cup game i think

Old Trafford definitely wasn't all seater in 89/90. They got over 47k against Arsenal for the opening game of the season. They got over 46k for the Liverpool match a couple of weeks after the Brightwell Derby. There was definitely no extra restrictions for the derby, they just couldn't be arsed.
I never said it was…. It took years (5) following Hillsborough for full all seater stadiums to arrive…

A couple of mates were outside in that lot and they said they got in with about 10 minutes to go when they opened the entrances to let fans out. Unfortunately for them, they ended up in K Stand but made their way to the front and got helped down onto the Scoreboard Paddock by the blues below!

Yeah, so little was made back then of games that weren't full to capacity. I think the McCarthy derby attendance was purely down to it being live on TV though. Back in those days, attendances were hugely affected by live TV coverage. There were instances of games being selected for live TV that would have attendances that were 15,000-20,000 below the corresponding fixture the season before that wasn't on TV.
I seem to recall that if a crowd was below the season's average when a live game was broadcast the club would be recompensed.

I never said it was…. It took years (5) following Hillsborough for full all seater stadiums to arrive…
No they didnt. The reduced capacity (following the All seater requirement) was 43k so 47k as you quote was impossible. Their capacity at certain periods was down to 30/35k around that time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.