Serbia v England - Sun 16th June, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lack options centre midfield? Are you kidding? The two centres should be Bellingham and Foden, both playing behind Kane who should have been up front and not spending most of his time in the second half hanging around midfield. Alexander Arnold does play the odd good pass but he gives the ball away just as much. No, Foden and Bellingham in midfield and go from there.

Alexander Arnold can deliver Hollywood quarterback passes from deep. However, when was there a situation for him to do that last night? England slowly move up the pitch and we’re coming up against stubborn two banks of five. If England were inviting teams to come into them it might work, however the patterns of play seem to be touch and pass not moving the ball quick enough.

I've said it before the tournament started that this is a tournament too far for Phil to shine. The lad must be running on complete empty and he'll not improve against Denmark and Slovenia if picked unfortunately. Walker and Stones should be fine as they'll not have loads to do in this group stage
It's more to do with the he's playing in a system which just doesn't suit him. Time and again especially in the second half he was finding pockets of space but his teammates either didn't see him or ignored to pass to him and he increasingly got more and more frustrated. Foden needs to player under a manager like Pep rather than Mr Beige to flourish

You mean as he's offers absolutely fuck all.

He did nothing going forward apart from a couple of Hollywood passes. Defensively he hasnt got a clue. To play in that midfield role you need spatial awareness and read situations and anticipate what's going to happen. He hasn't got that. At All. Rice was constantly covering him.

His set pieces were absolutely shite as well

Bellingham isn't going to suddenly be moved position after his performances for club and country in that role he is now and also scoring and being MOM last night. however much everyone harps on about it.

so, that leaves the position next to Rice either being Arnold, Gallagher, Wharton or Mainoo - out of them options i would still rather stick with Arnold just because of his shooting, passing, set piece ability and he's more exciting to watch. IMO.

Not sure there is such a clique (in fairness, Southgate has done well to stop factions within the group, which was previously, a big problem) ?
If there is a clique, Phil has his City pals to team up with.
Kane seems the major influence in the squad, as captain.
He should be ensuring the team are fully together...
Good comment

The big irony is that if Foden doesn't play against Denmark, we'll look just as limited with the same flaws, and he'll suddenly be the obvious answer.

Foden has been educated by Guardiola into always looking five passes ahead and drifting almost unnoticed into goal scoring positions.

His first goal against United in the 6-3 provides the perfect example of a patient City move that drags opponents out of position.

This doesn't work for England,.not necessarily because Foden is surrounded by poor players, but more that they offer something completely different.

Even the Walker chance (where he should have taken the shot himself) Kane and Foden made the same run, when Haaland would have peeled-off to the far post

Similarly City don't have a Saka type so whereas City preach patience, England charge down the right wing and hope for the best.

Bellingham is a great talent, but he also appears irritatingly ring fenced from criticism, as do Rice, Saka, and Alexander-Arnold, who all mixed moments of brilliance with sloppy casual mistakes.

Compare that with Shearer's eagerness to pounce when Foden lost the ball cheaply midway through the Second Half.

As for the defence I fear for us the moment we face a more potent strike force.
I think Foden will get another start against Denmark. If he does nothing again he’ll probably lose his place. I actually think the side would look more balanced with Gordon there.

That’s not me thinking Foden shouldn’t be in this England team. Obviously anyone with half an idea about football can see that him and Bellingham are by far the most gifted players and should have this team built around them playing together in the centre. Boregate has got Phil playing in his worst position for this side.

Seems Bellingham and Trent can play anywhere they want! Foden is to nice as in doing what Southgate wants him to do that fine when it's Pep he knows what he is doing Southgate is a shite manager! So Foden next game play where you want and when you get the ball head for goal don't pass it and your only intention should be to score!

Not sure there is such a clique (in fairness, Southgate has done well to stop factions within the group, which was previously, a big problem) ?
If there is a clique, Phil has his City pals to team up with.
Kane seems the major influence in the squad, as captain.
He should be ensuring the team are fully together...
Not so sure. But who knows. Bellingham and Arnold clearly love themselves and each other.

If you wanted him at City this is how you cure yourself. Watch how hard he works when he loses possession or goes down and doesn’t get a free kick.

Clue: he doesn’t. He simply doesn’t work hard enough for a Pep team. He loses the ball and lies on the deck for 10 seconds before getting up, dusting himself down and then jogging on towards the action. Obviously Southgate is prepared to give him more leeway than Pep would.

He is a phenomenal talent, but - my judgment- lacks humility.
Pep wouldn’t allow it though, he’d bench him, he reminds me of Yaya/Viera, unfortunately he’s selfish as well, theres was a bit last night where he tried to take someone on three times on the left when all he had to do was knock it back to Tripper to cross in and got nowhere with it.

Summed up by a mate on a Whatsap football group: I prefer England to win, but I prefer not to watch it.
Thas how i feel mate, that match of hoofball was terrible. Most of them players can play from the back so why southgate cant use there strength's i dont know. Watching pickford just blast it down the middle is painful.
I think we passed it back to our keeper more than we actually attacked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.