Sergio Aguero.

Tricky_Trev said:
Thing is (and don't take this the wrong way), i don't even feel he's contributed all that much to our general play, compared to some of the other players. He's still adapting, still wanting a little too much time on the ball, still getting dispossessed quite easily - a bit like Silva when he first signed. Yet he has 11 goals in 10 games.

He only going to get better. Frightening.

I think you have a real point. Silva took time to settle, Dzeko did, Zola did, even Cantona did. Just because Aguero is doing brilliantly in terms of scoring goals doesn't mean we are at present seeing him at his best, and fantastic though Aguero is, I don't think we have got the finished article.

And if you think about his goals, there was that thunderbolt against Swansea, but everything else has been a tap-in or a one-on-one with the goalkeeper. (Maybe not his first against Wigan, but you get the point). His positional sense is obviously brilliant, and his finishing is obviously first rate, but those aren't things which I think are quite so likely to vary much from league to league. What makes our league different from Spain is not so much what happens when you are put clean through on goal, but the pace at which everything else happens. That is where Aguero is IMO still finding his feet.

In other words, what we have at present is a goalscorer, a finisher, but not yet someone who will create a lot of chances out of nothing, or who adds that much to our general team or link play. That I think will come and when it does he will be just awesome.

Well done Mancini. We have a monster of a player on our hands and he will only become better. Hopefully he balo and silva will all stay fit if they do we have a real chance at the prem title!

Tricky_Trev said:
Thing is (and don't take this the wrong way), i don't even feel he's contributed all that much to our general play, compared to some of the other players. He's still adapting, still wanting a little too much time on the ball, still getting dispossessed quite easily - a bit like Silva when he first signed. Yet he has 11 goals in 10 games.

Same with Nasri. Isn't he the top assister in the Prem, yet he hasn't really played too well yet. Just wait until they have both settled in properly!

Chris in London said:
Tricky_Trev said:

I think you have a real point. Silva took time to settle, Dzeko did, Zola did, even Cantona did. Just because Aguero is doing brilliantly in terms of scoring goals doesn't mean we are at present seeing him at his best, and fantastic though Aguero is, I don't think we have got the finished article.

And if you think about his goals, there was that thunderbolt against Swansea, but everything else has been a tap-in or a one-on-one with the goalkeeper. (Maybe not his first against Wigan, but you get the point). His positional sense is obviously brilliant, and his finishing is obviously first rate, but those aren't things which I think are quite so likely to vary much from league to league. What makes our league different from Spain is not so much what happens when you are put clean through on goal, but the pace at which everything else happens. That is where Aguero is IMO still finding his feet.

In other words, what we have at present is a goalscorer, a finisher, but not yet someone who will create a lot of chances out of nothing, or who adds that much to our general team or link play. That I think will come and when it does he will be just awesome.

Agree with most but I just feel he is just that type of player who will be a poacher and he isn't one that will make his own chances. Also Don't forget Fulham ( 2nd goal) he does have the ability to score goals that aren't tap ins. I believe he will be our Ruud Vanistelrooy in the sense he will score bucket loads of goals. But in a year I think you will see his all-round game.

Gingers Dad said:
Jumanji said:
His workrate isn't low though because he's lazy. He isn't.

He's very much like Torres in that he expects his team mates to put him through on goal and spends a lot of time high up the pitch finding space and riding on the shoulder of defenders.

Gerrard allowed Torres to do this at pool and now Mata is accomodating Torres' playing style at Chelsea.

Thing though with Aguero, this is why he's always been a second striker. Playing with two different types of strikers is beneficial because you can reap all the offensive rewards. Right now we have a striker that stays high up the pitch creating space for others, giving defenders something to worry about, while the other striker contribute more in the build up.

We're used to Tevez and we've not really had a striker of Aguero's playing style, so as fans we miss that workrate. But Aguero ain't no headless chicken as his off the ball movement is very intelligent. His game will really improve even more, at 23 years old, it just has to, and it will.
Correct, you don't want your marksman out on the wing chasing down lost causes. You what him timing his 6 to 8 yard bursts in front of goal, just like Aguero did for his goal on Sunday.

To quote Cloughie, "You need 3 pianists and 7 piano shifters in a team". Although I think that has changed a bit in this era, Aguero is definitely one of the pianists.
Not sure if he's a pianist, but it's just how he plays. There are many types of strikers, and he's more like Torres to be honest in playing style. Not surprising as they're both Ahtletico formed.

reminds me of david villa to be honest.

think the more fit he gets , and the more he gets used to the league, we will see more sides to his game that we currently aren't seeing at the moment.

class player

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.