Sergio Gomez | Joins City on a four year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m talking about opportunity. We have an incredibly successful Academy and have produced a number of very talented players - most of whom have been moved on to other clubs.
Chelsea have also been a conveyer belt of talent - again many for other clubs. The top clubs always seem to prefer to ‘buy in‘ players.
I just find it disappointing that the opportunities for Academy players at EPL clubs are so limited.
This documentary on C4 - “Football Dreams: The Academy” about Crystal Palace should be a very interesting watch.
Said it years ago, it's very unlikely we will see an eleven starting at City with 5 or 6 home grown players. When they are trying to break through they have got to be better that what's already in the first team squad, but also better than what is available to buy in. We are a top club competing for top prizes and only the very best will make the first team, it's just the way it is. If we can get 2 or 3 first team players from the academy it has been a success.

I feel that “home grown talent “ have a real struggle to make it at City with Pep as manager. Apart from Phil Foden it’s not exactly been a conveyer belt of continuous Academy talent forcing themselves into the first team.
Nothing annoys me more than bringing a “kid” on for about 2 minutes before the end of a match. Progression seems to be a few minutes in the early rounds of the Cup competitions - loan deal - and bye bye.
I would love our Academy players to be given more opportunities but I can’t see Pep changing his stance. How many of our current players out on loan can you see being recalled??
Always find it a bit embarrassing the growing number of players who are described as “ex-Manchester City” and never played a first team match for us.
Remember the old adage “If you’re good enough, you’re old enough”? Well, “if you’re good enough, you’re good enough!”

THAT is the business of football at the apex teams, where EVERY SQUAD PLAYER is an international and could walk into any mid-table team in the country/Europe.

Pep has a philosophy that REQUIRES TRUST, but it has to be earned ON THE TRAINING GROUND. We don’t see how they do in rondo, the training games, etc… The ones that show, get to travel and try to gel with the big boys. You’d be amazed at the experience gained from traveling with the first team squad, sitting on the bench listening to the coaches, talking about the game amongst the subs, listening to team talks, learning how to “be.” I know, I’ve seen it firsthand.

From there, ANY minutes on the field are a sign that you’re literally being rewarded for your efforts AND because you need to gain the experience of the speed and physicality of the “adult” game. It is just different, and that’s from yesteryear. Today, the game is faster, more technical, and yet still as physically demanding as ever.

And, you can DOUBLE that at City!

As West Han’s Antonio attests in his BBC podcast, City are just a different breed at the moment. Full backs are midfielders, midfielder are attackers and the press smothers you so much you have zero ability to transition, even with City’s high line!

His words…City are like liquid, they just go through you in possession, and you can’t get near them because the ball is gone before you get there.

That requires a certain level of player. We try to teach it from a young age, as per La Masia, and one either get there or they don’t…and that’s upto the player!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.