Serial Killer at large in Manchester?

Can't understand why,when these people get pushed or fall into a canal they don't just stand up instead of drowning, they are only about 3ft deep.
The bottom of the canal isnt tiled. Its made of stuff you sink into. Also, falling in is an involuntary action leading to shock, gasping for air, scrambling about etc. Hard to get footing I should I think. Its also dark, alcohol possibly involved and other factors. It is far from as easy as just standing up, otherwise nobody would die even if it was a shallow part. People also dont realise the effect cold water has on the body especially at night. People cant get out, unfortunately its as simple as that

The bottom of the canal isnt tiled. Its made of stuff you sink into. Also, falling in is an involuntary action leading to shock, gasping for air, scrambling about etc. Hard to get footing I should I think. Its also dark, alcohol possibly involved and other factors. It is far from as easy as just standing up, otherwise nobody would die even if it was a shallow part. People also dont realise the effect cold water has on the body especially at night. People cant get out, unfortunately its as simple as that
I think there probably are some people who fall into canals and drown because of a combination of cold and intoxication. But in general, and I speak from experience having fallen into a canal myself, they're about 3 feet deep and the bottom is a few inches of mud and silt with a rock bed underneath, so it's not too hard to just stand up.

Has anyone asked this annoying prick of Eggheads where he was at the time of the incidents..?

getimage.aspx

I think there probably are some people who fall into canals and drown because of a combination of cold and intoxication. But in general, and I speak from experience having fallen into a canal myself, they're about 3 feet deep and the bottom is a few inches of mud and silt with a rock bed underneath, so it's not too hard to just stand up.
Your a trained climber though mate :-)

If a serial killer is at large pushing people into canals they are not very successful, the number of canal drownings in the Manchester area is less than the national average given the population/miles of canals

Of course it might just mean that other areas have more successful canal pushing serial killers than we have
There is a national average for canal drownings based on population/miles of canal. Is that a published figure? Who gets paid to work that out?

There is a national average for canal drownings based on population/miles of canal. Is that a published figure? Who gets paid to work that out?
If you do it right, you can cheat the stats, Week 1 Ashton Under Lyne, week 2, Dukinfield Week 3, Glossop
That's one each for, Lancs,Cheshire,Derbyshire

The BBC do! The always excellent 'More or Less' team on Radio 4 did the analysis, not sure if the podcast is still available but if you search for 'More or Less Manchester Canal Pusher' you will find plenty of info

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.