Settle an argument...

bluenova said:
It was onside - I was deffo wrong earlier.

Fifa laws of the game:

A player is in an offside position if:
• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

So, if he was behind the ball he was onside.
Incorrect,offside as they were goalside of the last defender,therefore as there was only the goalkeeper between them the ref was correct,no goal!

east2 said:
bluenova said:

Fifa laws of the game:

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf

Incorrect,offside as they were goalside of the last defender,therefore as there was only the goalkeeper between them the ref was correct,no goal!

Read it again.

And that is from the Laws of the Game. The official and indisputable source.

east2 said:
bluenova said:

Fifa laws of the game:

No, as long as the striker was onside when he received the ball originally the position of the last defenders doesn't matter after that. The midfielder remains onside as long as he doesn't get ahead of the ball before it's passed to him.

east2 said:
bluenova said:

Fifa laws of the game:

The goalkeeper is the last defender, but that is another point.

How can you watch football and not have a clue about the laws?

Corky said:
east2 said:

You should sit near me, I have a great view looking along the last line of defence at one end of CoMS. It amazes me how many people around me are up shouting "offside" when a player clearly isn't and vice versa. I've even seen a few appealing for offside direct from a throw-in!!

The spirit of the offside law is to prevent play ground type goal hanging (we all did it), by cutting out long passes to someone stood well ahead of the play. The marginal stuff is only important because the rule had to be kept simple, ie hard and fast. Read it that way and you soon see why any player moving onto the ball from behind the play is not able to be offside. Theres no advantage gained, unless the scorer is just able to run faster than the recovering defenders (which is of course entirely legal).

Corky said:
east2 said:

Of which there has to be two defenders one being the goalkeeper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.