Shakes after drinking.

MikeBlue

As some of you may know I play a lot of snooker and golf. I play to a pretty decent standard at both, I say this not to blow my own trumpet but to emphasise my noticing of it. Its not like I hack around at either as I don't think it would be so noticable to those that don't play to a good/reasonable standard.

Anyways in the last 4/5 years I have noticed after a session on the ale the following day I have become an absolute jibbering wreck and cannot play either at all. My putting and chipping goes to peices and at snooker my arm is like I'm playing in a hurricane. To be honest it takes me 3 days to feel properly normal again as even the 2nd day after drinking I am still not right.

I just wondered if anyone else struggles with this as it concerns me a bit as it never used to happen at all. I don't know whether its age or that I just drink a lot more on a session these days. Also are there any secret tips that I don't know about that might be of use. I hydrate a plenty after a sesh too btw.

I'm playing golf today in a few hours and had plenty to drink on Wednesday night and I still feel like a bumbling wreck. As you can imagine this is very frustrating which leaves me with 3 options as I see it.......

1) If I want to play to a decent standard still then really curb my drinking habbits.

2) Live with it and accept I'm just not as good as I was.

3) Give up and concentrate on drinking.

By the way I'm 28

MikeBlue said:
As some of you may know I play a lot of snooker and golf. I play to a pretty decent standard at both, I say this not to blow my own trumpet but to emphasise my noticing of it. Its not like I hack around at either as I don't think it would be so noticable to those that don't play to a good/reasonable standard.

Anyways in the last 4/5 years I have noticed after a session on the ale the following day I have become an absolute jibbering wreck and cannot play either at all. My putting and chipping goes to peices and at snooker my arm is like I'm playing in a hurricane. To be honest it takes me 3 days to feel properly normal again as even the 2nd day after drinking I am still not right.

I just wondered if anyone else struggles with this as it concerns me a bit as it never used to happen at all. I don't know whether its age or that I just drink a lot more on a session these days. Also are there any secret tips that I don't know about that might be of use. I hydrate a plenty after a sesh too btw.

I'm playing golf today in a few hours and had plenty to drink on Wednesday night and I still feel like a bumbling wreck. As you can imagine this is very frustrating which leaves me with 3 options as I see it.......

1) If I want to play to a decent standard still then really curb my drinking habbits.

Have a drink before you play.

well i didnt know about your sporting prowess so thanks for that.as for your shakes.how much do you drink.i was a heavy heavy drinker and it would take at least 3 days before i got the shakes.

Hmm, from what I read this only seems to occur the day after a session, so it could be related to the drink.

How do you feel after having food, and drink (such as Water) ?

I'm 27, so similar aged to you. I have started to shake the day after an heavybag session, but I've put this down to shock on my hands and after a few days the shakes go.

Golf and snooker, just like darts (don't bloody laugh) require a lot of mental toughness, particularly as they are sports where you are out on your own, so to speak.

One of the toughest things in sports like these is overthinking. You get an idea into your head about something that is wrong, and then it becomes psychosomatic, ie you notice it more and more and even imagine it's there when it may well not be knocking you completely off your game.

Of course, that is not to be dismissive and say you don't get the shakes after a session, but it is worth considering nonetheless. Might be worth looking up some relaxation techniques (there are many quick fixes you can do during a game and there are also longer term strategies too).

SteWadda said:
MikeBlue said:

Have a drink before you play.

You laugh but sometimes this is the only way I can play snooker. Wouldn't do it before golf though as I just wouldn't play as I couldn't be assed with the walk. I would just end up getting leathered again!<br /><br />-- Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:53 am --<br /><br />
exileindevon said:
well i didnt know about your sporting prowess so thanks for that.as for your shakes.how much do you drink.i was a heavy heavy drinker and it would take at least 3 days before i got the shakes.

Didn't take long for the first sarky comment. I stated why I mentioned it and was not meant like that at all. If I gou out I will probably consume a 70cl bottle of vodka over the night. Only drink Vodka diet coke and they are always doubles. Easily have 10-14 over the course of an evening.

Why Always Ste said:
Hmm, from what I read this only seems to occur the day after a session, so it could be related to the drink.

I'm 27, so similar aged to you. I have started to shake the day after an heavybag session, but I've put this down to shock on my hands and after a few days the shakes go.

Trust me its only after I drink alcohol. Like I said yeah after 3 days I'm fine but that means I tend not to bother with golf or snooker for the following 2 days after drinking. It turns into a bit of a vicious circle though as I will end up on the piss again within those 2 days as I know there is no point playing either and have nothing to do. lol.

Why Always Ste said:

I'm 27, so similar aged to you. I have started to shake the day after an heavybag session, but I've put this down to shock on my hands and after a few days the shakes go

I always get the shakes after a heavybag session, it's perfectly normal and (as you rightly say) to do with the shock and absorbtion of your body. It's not exactly a normal behaviour to continually punch something with so much resistance, so you don't get a normal response from your body.

I used to have terrible tendonitus in my forearms due to the way I wrapped my hands, it was agony and I couldnt even grip my gym bag or anything!

Ignore my previous post. FUCK ME!!! A full bottle of voddy on a night out? that's rough son. I hope you only go out once a fortnight?!

strongbowholic said:
Golf and snooker, just like darts (don't bloody laugh) require a lot of mental toughness, particularly as they are sports where you are out on your own, so to speak.

One of the toughest things in sports like these is overthinking. You get an idea into your head about something that is wrong, and then it becomes psychosomatic, ie you notice it more and more and even imagine it's there when it may well not be knocking you completely off your game.

Of course, that is not to be dismissive and say you don't get the shakes after a session, but it is worth considering nonetheless. Might be worth looking up some relaxation techniques (there are many quick fixes you can do during a game and there are also longer term strategies too).

I see your point to an extent but trust me its not like that for me. You can visibly see my shakes even when I try and write and stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.