Shamima Begum

Her citizenship should have been revoked when she left to go there, then she wouldn’t have been able to come back.

As a dual national (Bangladesh, I believe it was said), is she an immigrant to the UK or born there?

I hate to say it, but she made a choice and it has literally blown up in her face, but she is an adult and has to live with the consequences of that.

Her citizenship should have been revoked when she left to go there, then she wouldn’t have been able to come back.

As a dual national (Bangladesh, I believe it was said), is she an immigrant to the UK or born there?

I hate to say it, but she made a choice and it has literally blown up in her face, but she is an adult and has to live with the consequences of that.

It's contested as to whether she has Bangladeshi citizenship - Bangladesh says she doesn't.
If Bangladesh are right, it's illegal to remove her citizenship.

I fear she will win her appeals eventually.
She'll probably have to be allowed back to the UK as international law stops us from making anyone stateless. There is a rarely used royal prerogative that allows us to rip up a person's UK passport though. I'm guessing there are enough terrorist related offences that can be pinned on her to put her in prison for a long time, but the problem may be that she was still a minor when she committed them. If so, stand by for her claiming to be the victim of isis grooming and living a fairly pleasant state funded life back here.

It's contested as to whether she has Bangladeshi citizenship - Bangladesh says she doesn't.
She is entitled through her parents, but being entitled to a citizenship and actually applying for/holding it are not the same thing. Unless she holds another citizenship we can't remove her UK one sadly.

She is entitled through her parents, but being entitled to a citizenship and actually applying for/holding it are not the same thing. Unless she holds another citizenship we can't remove her UK one sadly.

Precisely, and this argument hasn't changed since the original removal.

Slightly curious that there is still no definitive answer to it. however I don't see a way for the UK to get round Bangladesh's position (if accurate) on this.

Absolutely, which is why I had the caveat. The only question then is “has she committed a crime and, if so, what’s the reasonable punishment for it?” It appears those may be the only legal consequences for her to have to live with.

Absolutely, which is why I had the caveat. The only question then is “has she committed a crime and, if so, what’s the reasonable punishment for it?” It appears those may be the only legal consequences for her to have to live with.

Sounds about right.
It makes it all the more odd that the citizenship thing is trundling onward, so maybe it's turned into some arcane legal argument.

The BBC have this (excerpts):
The Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC), a semi-secret court which hears national security cases, said she could instead turn to Bangladesh for citizenship.
Under international law, it is illegal to deprive nationals of citizenship if to do so would leave them stateless.
Rejecting the 20-year-old's case that she had been left stateless, the Commission concluded that Ms Begum was "a citizen of Bangladesh by descent".
Ms Begum is understood to have a claim to Bangladeshi nationality through her mother.
However, in February 2019, Bangladesh's ministry of foreign affairs said Ms Begum was not a Bangladeshi citizen and there was "no question" of her being allowed into the country.
The case will now move on to consider whether the government had legitimate national security grounds to bar Ms Begum from coming back to the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51413040

That's just what the Bangladeshi government says. They may be right but we know from our own Gov that people in power don't always tell the truth.

Whether or not she's a Bangladeshi citizen though, I suspect the Home Sec's decision will be quashed on HR grounds above all else which will probably lead to Brexit 2 and the UK deciding to turns its back on the ECHR.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.