Shamima Begum

If what he suggested had happened in 1921 then the history of Ireland, the UK and the province may have been very different.
You can say that again. We’d still be fighting but the Unionists would be the enemy as well as Sinn Fein..
”By the way lads, the Irish in Dublin are being a bit of a nuisance, so we have decided to dissolve the whole union with Ireland.”

In answer to your question, yes I do, although one of them has since proved he should probably be retained indefinitely.

I find it astonishing that anyone can support the execution of a child. Even in late Victorian times this didn’t occur because there was a recognition that young people are far more capable of redemption, and are less responsible for their actions than an adult who should bear far more responsibility for them and is (most likely) much less capable of changing their behaviour.

Given you support it, would you be happy to be part of the firing squad that executed her as a 15 year old?
There's posters on here who wanted the Bulger Murderers executed at the age they committed the act. Funnily enough though if it was their child who did the wicked thing they refused to answer if He/She should warrant the same fate. I guess @Paul1970 would be the same.

I know 1801 ratified by the british and Irish parliament and repealed in 1922 along with partition andnalso a caviat that 3 new staes were from, Gb, The irish free state and NI which tbf made Northern Island no different to Jersey, Geurnsey or IoM as not mainland Britain

That is why I quiried why it was not , at tge time made a crown dependancy like other off shore memebrs of the british Islands territories.

Just wondered, not suggesting a political opinion that it should be one, just seems it fits the bill

Did any of those other territories have strong separatist movements?

Seems the obvious reason is that they weren't given greater autonomy because Britain wanted to ensure that NI stayed part of the UK.

What I can't quite get my head around is that 499 others did what she did (or worse) and are living here among us with few, if any, consequences. While I have no real sympathy for this stupid woman, I don't see what makes her worse than the rest.

Maybe the law needs to change so that British citizens who go abroad to take part in terrorism and support illegal regimes commit a definite offence just by going, and face heavy penalties.

Neither the Statute of Treason (1352) nor The Foreign Enlistment Act (1870) appear to be effective in these cases. However, to my mind, a clearer case of 'adhering to the King's enemies without the realm' can scarcely be imagined.
I saw one girl who was jailed on her return on this morning last year, so there are consequences for some

Did any of those other territories have strong separatist movements?

Seems the obvious reason is that they weren't given greater autonomy because Britain wanted to ensure that NI stayed part of the UK.
yeah for a long while whenn orriginally occupied Jersey objected and were happy to become french imstead of british rule

s I said ot was a musing, not a statement of belief on my part, just wondered why NI which are not part of the british islands (but part of the british isles like ilreland) were not treated like other overseas assets and therefore a crown dependency

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.