Should Alan Hansen be sacked for racism?

malg said:
I knew as soon as he said 'coloured' on MOTD that the usual Twatter/Facebook generation would be up in arms. Utter shite. Maybe we all know that black people are now called black, and that Asians are now called Asian. Hansen's generation use the word 'coloured'. If you take offence, then fuck off and grow a thicker skin. All that needs to happen is that Hansen needs to be told that it's OK to call black people black - I'll bet he thought calling someone black would be racial.
Exactly.
And it's now getting pathetic these days how the bored mob get indignant about anything and everything.

SWP's back said:
Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot said:
gaudinho's stolen car said:
Who said you can't say black?

Well I clearly don't understand how racism works then?

Calling someone black is fine but if the word black is before any insulting word i.e ****, bastard, knob head... then this is deemed racist? Have I got that right?
Yes, it the use of the word in the pejorative as an adjective that is the problem.

Call someone a ****, no need to reference their colour.

But to call someone a fat **** or an ugly **** or a ginger **** or a bald **** is fine? I know there is a fine line between standard insulting and generalizing someones skin colour but there is also a fine line between racism and insulting...

the use of the N word along with the other terminologies are what I would deem a racial slur which should be acted on but to call someone coloured or black WTF?!?! If a black man called me coloured I'd be like OK I can accept that to you I'm of colour..

SWP's back said:
Well I clearly don't understand how racism works then?

Calling someone black is fine but if the word black is before any insulting word i.e ****, bastard, knob head... then this is deemed racist? Have I got that right?
Yes, it the use of the word in the pejorative as an adjective that is the problem.

But to call someone a fat **** or an ugly **** or a ginger **** or a bald **** is fine? I know there is a fine line between standard insulting and generalizing someones skin colour but there is also a fine line between racism and insulting...

the use of the N word along with the other terminologies are what I would deem a racial slur which should be acted on but to call someone coloured or black WTF?!?! If a black man called me coloured I'd be like OK I can accept that to you I'm of colour..

Yes, calling someone a fat ****, ugly **** or ginger **** is fine.

There is a huge difference between that and calling them a black ****. See the CPS's verdict on whether Terry should go to court. One is an insult, one would get you arrested potentially.

The Goat 10 said:
Ridiculously blown out of proportion.
Not really, he was ignorant, a few people complained, he apologised.

No one died, was sacked etc, so what is blown out of proportion?

SWP's back said:
The Goat 10 said:

The reaction in the first place, he comes from a generation which will have referred to black people as 'coloured' for years, so therefore he intended no racism what's so ever. Admittedly today it's not as acceptable but Hansen as I said wasn't to know that therefore calling for him to be sacked for racism is blown out of proportion.

SWP's back said:
SWP's back said:

There is a huge difference between that and calling them a black ****. See the CPS's verdict on whether Terry should go to court. One is an insult, one would get you arrested potentially.

I understand that but I really don't see the difference calling someone a ugly/fat **** oppose to a black **** they both are offensive and refer to ones appearance..... If I said "what a good looking black **** that guy is" whats the difference to me saying "what a good looking black guy he is" are these both racist or just the one with the word **** in it? Or are neither racist because it was posed as a compliment and not an insult??

(I'm litrally not wumming or taking the piss here I just want to understand the rights and wrongs of using the word black when describing someones skin colour as I don't want to come off as racist/offensive)

The Goat 10 said:
SWP's back said:
The Goat 10 said:

The reaction in the first place, he comes from a generation which will have referred to black people as 'coloured' for years, so therefore he intended no racism what's so ever. Admittedly today it's not as acceptable but Hansen as I said wasn't to know that therefore calling for him to be sacked for racism is blown out of proportion.
Very few called for him to be sacked. The OP of this thread is a WUM and wanted to start an argument (and succeeded).

My Dad's no racist but calls black people coloured and won't change. However Hansen should probably know better as he is paid 7 figures to give his opinions on a weekly basis.<br /><br />-- Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm --<br /><br />
SWP's back said:

I understand that but I really don't see the difference calling someone a ugly/fat **** oppose to a black **** they both are offensive and refer to ones appearance..... If I said "what a good looking black **** that guy is" whats the difference to me saying "what a good looking black guy he is" are these both racist or just the one with the word **** in it? Or are neither racist because it was posed as a compliment and not an insult??

(I'm litrally not wumming or taking the piss here I just want to understand the rights and wrongs of using the word black when describing someones skin colour as I don't want to come off as racist/offensive)
You can't use skin colour in the pejorative in the UK.

Whether right or wrong, someone else decide. I am just saying what the law states (see Suarez and Terry for very recent high profile examples).

Saying a "good looking black guy" is not in the pejorative and so would not be construed as being racist. Calling someone "an ugly black ****" would. If this upsets, please don't blame me, but society/the lawmakers.

SWP's back said:
The Goat 10 said:
SWP's back said:

Very few called for him to be sacked. The OP of this thread is a WUM and wanted to start an argument (and succeeded).

My Dad's no racist but calls black people coloured and won't change. However Hansen should probably know better as he is paid 7 figures to give his opinions on a weekly basis.

Ahh then my analysis of the situation was wrong in that case, I didn't read what the OP said and just assumed the national media atm was calling for him to be sacked.

The Goat 10 said:
SWP's back said:
The Goat 10 said:

My Dad's no racist but calls black people coloured and won't change. However Hansen should probably know better as he is paid 7 figures to give his opinions on a weekly basis.

Ahh then my analysis of the situation was wrong in that case, I didn't read what the OP said and just assumed the national media atm was calling for him to be sacked.

No, just some loons on twitter that don't like him.

90% on this thread just see it as a generational thing mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.