Should jobs like police officer have fitness levels?

The standards of the police have fallen because of their pay? The starting wage of £20k at training level isn't too bad and a constable can earn nearly £39k as a basic salary, that's comparable with starting pay from other services. There was a time not long ago that most coppers came from the community they served and a university degree was unheard of for those in service the force was professionalised and from that point it has gone down the pan IMO.
Getting paid less doesn't make you unfit it doesn't make you wince at the thought of exersize. This isn't to say that it's not a difficult job it probably is but let's not accept bad policing just because they believe themselves to be underpaid.

The starting wage is shite.Few cops achieve 39k,unless they have been in 20 years or so.

There is no probably,it is a difficult job.

No body has stated pay is the reason cops are unfit or poor at their job.

The starting wage is shite.Few cops achieve 39k,unless they have been in 20 years or so.

You said that pay and conditions contribute to us having a poor police force, what did you mean by that? (Gentle prod mate). Poor wages are relative you have to compare them to other govt service jobs like that fire service the army the navy etc.

You said that pay and conditions contribute to us having a poor police force, what did you mean by that? (Gentle prod mate). Poor wages are relative you have to compare them to other govt service jobs like that fire service the army the navy etc.
why don't you come along, volunteer? offer to work as special on a friday and saturday night? Get abused, spat at, threatened-have endless paperwork and have to function at 4 in the morning, never know when you are going home, work every xmas, new year-for less and less.

the vast majority of frontline officers are fit, do look after themselves and are bright and articulate.

why don't you come along, volunteer? offer to work as special on a friday and saturday night? Get abused, spat at, threatened-have endless paperwork and have to function at 4 in the morning, never know when you are going home, work every xmas, new year-for less and less.

the vast majority of frontline officers are fit, do look after themselves and are bright and articulate.

I have done something similar mate, just because I don't think that the police are underpaid compared to other services and that they shouldn't get fat but have a level of fitness doesn't make me unaware or worthy of enlightenment.
People leave jobs they don't like all the time.

I have done something similar mate, just because I don't think that the police are underpaid compared to other services and that they shouldn't get fat but have a level of fitness doesn't make me unaware or worthy of enlightenment.
People leave jobs they don't like all the time.
fair enough-but other than anecdotal evidence there is nothing to suggest officers are fat and unfit-i do the job-i don't see them. most front line officers are kids nowadays.

fair enough-but other than anecdotal evidence there is nothing to suggest officers are fat and unfit-i do the job-i don't see them. most front line officers are kids nowadays.

I'm not having a go at you mate, it's a job I wouldn't do now society has IMHO took a turn for the worse and desensitisation must play a big part in a coppers interaction with the public, I have empathy for that. Before long the police army and other services will be dysfunctional anyway with this push for diversity over any other prerequisite.
They are actually pushing for snowflakes (Their words not mine) to join the British army now ;)

I'm not having a go at you mate, it's a job I wouldn't do now society has IMHO took a turn for the worse and desensitisation must play a big part in a coppers interaction with the public, I have empathy for that. Before long the police army and other services will be dysfunctional anyway with this push for diversity over any other prerequisite.
They are actually pushing for snowflakes (Their words not mine) to join the British army now ;)
For obvious reasons I can only say so much, the job is harder and the erosion of pay and conditions makes it much harder to attract and moreover retain the right people. That said there are still the majority who are selfless and brave and join to try to make a difference. In a little less than 2 years I can walk away-but in the knowledge that it isn't getting easier anytime soon.

Surely it doesn't matter what other services are paid?
If offered the choice between a tough unsociable hours £20k job and a £25k more sociable, less tough job, a lot of people will go for the latter. The same is true in lots of occupations.
The result will be that many of the better candidates will not apply, and the quality will fall.

I love this attitude, nobody forced you into the force.
You could always change job.
Folk who work in care homes face the same in their line of work for far less financial renumeration.

Seems like a fair wage to me, what about pension contributions etc? I bet these are rosy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.