Should we be looking at new kit deal?- new update pg34 Chelsea NIKE DEAL

Might I suggest it would be extremely short sighted of Nike to quibble over renegotiating a deal given it would certainly mean they have zero chance of our business going forwards when who knows what our kit deals could be worth?

Was just about to say this...it really would be shortsighted of Nike to dig their heels in over this...we are fast becoming one of the biggest clubs in the world and will become more and more marketable as the years progress

On the other hand I want Adidas...so I hope the relationship sours

Last edited:
So the current deal has 2 more years to run. There is plenty of time to look around for new deals. However we can go back to Nike and asked them if they want a new shirt deal they will have to come up with plenty more sponsorship money or we will be looking some where else.

Aren't Adidas and Nike both cutting back on football sponsorship and supposedly looking to sponsor just one big team in each league?
The deal we have with Nike is embarrassing

Both Rangers and Celtic sell hundreds of thousands of shirts each year.

Their cut of that is way below even our own rake.

It's about exposure, sales are just a small part of the equation.

This is lost on a lot of people. It is 90% marketing and 10% kit sales. It is about the Nike badge all over our kit and training kit in the same way as the main sponsor gets their name on the front. The chumps league exposure alone is probably worth more than hundreds of thousands of shirt sales.

If Nike want one big club in every league then we stand in a good position of getting more out of them but the Chavs news is bad timing as they are in the market at the same time now. However given our better perfomances and as we are the incumbent we are in the driving seat with Nike to get a much bigger deal and I would take that over the same money from some upstart brand. It puts us in the camp alongside Barca.

Newcastle also sell at least 500k shirts a year in a one team city.

Nike know they have got lucky in recent seasons with us, they won't feel compelled to hand us a rise until the current deal is into the final 12 months.

They also know City won't go to adidas. The main reason Chelsea are leaving them is because they won't stump up more and the extra given to United and Bayern.

This is lost on a lot of people. It is 90% marketing and 10% kit sales. It is about the Nike badge all over our kit and training kit in the same way as the main sponsor gets their name on the front. The chumps league exposure alone is probably worth more than hundreds of thousands of shirt sales.

If Nike want one big club in every league then we stand in a good position of getting more out of them but the Chavs news is bad timing as they are in the market at the same time now. However given our better perfomances and as we are the incumbent we are in the driving seat with Nike to get a much bigger deal and I would take that over the same money from some upstart brand. It puts us in the camp alongside Barca.

It's a good point that you and @tolmie's hairdoo make regarding exposure. It's one of the other reasons Pellegrini has been so damaging to us. The press are just completely disinterested in us this season and I'm sure the sponsors have taken note of that. Fingers crossed that is all going to change under Guardiola, particularly in the far east where he is so popular.

I spoke with a friend in the industry who looks after a big PL club and he said to me a lot of the profit manufacturers make in team deals is on merchandise other than the kit. Water bottles, shin pads, footballs, bags etc have a much better margin than shirts.

That's why he said the adidas deal at The Shite was so ridiculously overblown, apparently the deal was for kit and training kit only. All other merchandise United hold on to the rights and produce it all themselves.

It's a good point that you and @tolmie's hairdoo make regarding exposure. It's one of the other reasons Pellegrini has been so damaging to us. The press are just completely disinterested in us this season and I'm sure the sponsors have taken note of that. Fingers crossed that is all going to change under Guardiola, particularly in the far east where he is so popular.

I spoke with a friend in the industry who looks after a big PL club and he said to me a lot of the profit manufacturers make in team deals is on merchandise other than the kit. Water bottles, shin pads, footballs, bags etc have a much better margin than shirts.

That's why he said the adidas deal at The Shite was so ridiculously overblown, apparently the deal was for kit and training kit only. All other merchandise United hold on to the rights and produce it all themselves.

On the media exposure front this season has not been that bad. The Chumps league quarter and semi finals over two legs will have all had massive viewing figures. It is far more valuable than your average Prem league games or even Chumps league group games because the numbers of clubs are limited and interest is ramping up. Those big games are what all the marketing bods are after. Marketing wise this will have been a good year / possibly as good as any.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.