Sick of minutes silence/applause at football matches

I don't think we had a minutes silence for Remembrance Sunday until the 2000s or, to be more precise, until the the British death toll in Iraq and Afghanistan started mounting up. For what it's worth I fully support the poppy appeal and know people who served in those conflicts but fundamentally I don't think we should do more than carry a poppy on our shirts. Playing the last post and having people marching about laying wreaths is a sort of performative fetishization of the armed forces that we've imported directly from America.

The whole concept of a minute's silence has lost it's value now. They exist simply so that global brands, which is what Premier League clubs and the league itself are, don't get criticised for failing to suitably acknowledge some death or catastrophe somewhere in the world. It's defensive PR and has nothing to do with remembrance.

Added to the general sentimentality / emotional incontinence of British society in general we find ourselves forever clapping and remembering when, imho, most people just want to watch a game of football as a distraction from all the ills of the world.

The relevance has been taken from any minutes silence because we have them for anything, add the minutes clapping and the clapping while the match goes on for other certain things and we have got a mindless cacophony of clubs trying to virtue signal their fans to death.

I'm afraid I'm coming to agree with this. It's being made banal. And coercive.
Of course, people will say, “Oh why can't you give up a minute's silence? Are you in such a hurry?”
And the answer is no. I just don't much like other people decreeing what I should ritually mourn.

A minutes silence is no longer viable really nowadays. They keep on being cut short because some half wit/wits think it's funny to start shouting during them. At our ground we also have all the boozers arriving late and making a racket. A minutes applause works better.

A minutes silence is no longer viable really nowadays. They keep on being cut short because some half wit/wits think it's funny to start shouting during them. At our ground we also have all the boozers arriving late and making a racket. A minutes applause works better.
More and more people are immune to shame these days, so don’t care about disturbing silences etc when there’s a TikTok to be filmed.

The relevance has been taken from any minutes silence because we have them for anything, add the minutes clapping and the clapping while the match goes on for other certain things and we have got a mindless cacophony of clubs trying to virtue signal their fans to death.
It's just meaningless now. Last match I went to people started clapping and didn't know why. Surely that's less 'respectful then not bothering? The clubs. Can do nowt about the internet driven clapping and probably fend off requests ever week for 'tributes'

More and more people are immune to shame these days, so don’t care about disturbing silences etc when there’s a TikTok to be filmed.
It happened on Saturday against Brighton , the minutes silence for both Israel and Palestinians victims was interrupted by some prick in the South Stand shouting "free palestine" think himself lucky he wasnt near me and why didnt the stewards do something ? He should have been removed an banned

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.