Sign martinez now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davs 19 said:
daxman said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Neither Kompany or Martinez can play well the left side of central defensive partnership.
Has to be a midfielder for me.

Wrong! either he or Kompany can play the left side fine. There is a no unique qualities other than been left footed, that makes you superior on the left side. And since Lescott is not much of a playing defender, either will be infinitely better on the ball on the left. Not to mention Martinez does play on the left side of CD often. So this is a stale argument.

You're entitled to your opinion but in mine, you're mistaken. Midfielder all day long for me.

anyone who think he is being bought as a first choice cb is sadly mistaken i'm afraid. gaz bazs replacement all day

Davs 19 said:
daxman said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Neither Kompany or Martinez can play well the left side of central defensive partnership.
Has to be a midfielder for me.

Wrong! either he or Kompany can play the left side fine. There is a no unique qualities other than been left footed, that makes you superior on the left side. And since Lescott is not much of a playing defender, either will be infinitely better on the ball on the left. Not to mention Martinez does play on the left side of CD often. So this is a stale argument.

You're entitled to your opinion but in mine, you're mistaken. Midfielder all day long for me.
He can play either position capably. But he is and will become a far superior CD. Think Kompany. He too was a solid midfielder, but turns out he is an infinitely superior CB. Martinez as a CD is bound to end up being one of the best. As a mid, he'd be very good. Don't be fooled by his youtube video's that show him running past defenders like Yaya. These are very unique and once in blue moon circumstances. They are not a staple like Yaya's running is a staple of his game. Martinez is more of a cerebral passer.

As a midfielder, there is little difference between Martinez and Itturaspe. They are alsomst identically styled midfielders. Itturaspe is a little better with the pass, and Martinez a littls stronger in the tackle, and powerful going forward.

Yet no one is falling over to get Itturaspe on our team. CD is where his greatness lies. Spain needs a CD, CIty needs a CD, and Martinez fits the bill.

The only reason he was playing cb for his club was they had a bad season of injuries in that position so he was put there as a replacement. I see him playing in both midfield and cb if he came to city. I am sure mancini will see what's best for him long term. My personal opinion would be to see him in midfield.

phasnip said:
The only reason he was playing cb for his club was they had a bad season of injuries in that position so he was put there as a replacement. I see him playing in both midfield and cb if he came to city. I am sure mancini will see what's best for him long term. My personal opinion would be to see him in midfield.

Yes holding midfielder in front of Kompany and Lescott, allows Yaya to get further forward ....

dref619 said:
anyone who think he is being bought as a first choice cb is sadly mistaken i'm afraid. gaz bazs replacement all day
Truth is, you are in no more of a position to know this than anyone else here. So making such a claim dosen't make you any more right. That said, common sense suggests that it is highly likely that an interest in a particular player by a team needing cover at the position he played last season, suggests it is that position they need him for

phasnip said:
Like I already said earlier, they didn't have any major injuries at CD that required him to play there. Bielsa just preffered him agt the position. Amoreibietta, San Jose and Ekisa were the other 3 CDs. Most of whom were healthy most of the time. Yet Martinez played at CD mostly. Played 5 or so games in midfield all year. and about 30 at CD<br /><br />-- Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:05 am --<br /><br />
Lomas has a lob on said:
It seems the lad is class in two positions which is great for us, let's just all agree on that shall we?
Of that there is no doubt!

Daz_Blue said:
phasnip said:

Yes holding midfielder in front of Kompany and Lescott, allows Yaya to get further forward ....

That his best position. He's got all the defensive qualities of Nigel and Barry (except he doesn't give away as many freekicks or get as many bookings); he's got the passing and positioning of Yaya and the engine of a Milner on steroids. And he's a good header.
He'll be very good in the central defence when called for, but he'll be monumental, a real giant of a player in the midfield.

With him we'll have on of the three nest midfield's in the world of football. We cold play a defensive set-up of, with one defensive midfielder:
------------------- Javi ------------------
------- Yaya ---------------- Barry ----

(it'll take a lot to break through that line of defence for sure)

and a more attacking version, with two central midfilders:

---------- Yaya ------------ Javi--------
------------------ Nasri -----------------

Matt the Giant said:
Daz_Blue said:
phasnip said:

That his best position. He's got all the defensive qualities of Nigel and Barry (except he doesn't give away as many freekicks or get as many bookings); he's got the passing and positioning of Yaya and the engine of a Milner on steroids. And he's a good header.
He'll be very good in the central defence when called for, but he'll be monumental, a real giant of a player in the midfield.

With him we'll have on of the three nest midfield's in the world of football. We cold play a defensive set-up of, with one defensive midfielder:
------------------- Javi ------------------
------- Yaya ---------------- Barry ----

(it'll take a lot to break through that line of defence for sure)

and a more attacking version, with two central midfilders:

---------- Yaya ------------ Javi--------
------------------ Nasri -----------------

I like the way you think!

The fact he's spent a season at CB doesn't mean he's not a CM. Touré always played at CDM before coming to us, and we know how that went...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.