Sky (bet) sports and Paul Merson

As with anyone who is wrestling with an addiction, I hope he gets the support he needs. However, as a pundit he should consider a career change.

Our TV's are bombarded with gambling outlets competing with each other to part the viewers with their hard-earned cash.
That arbitrary slogan they peddle "when the fun stops... stop" irritates the f#@k out of me, for two reasons: one, the fun stopped years ago for most of their punters and two, they would go broke if people did stop. They don't give a toss about their customers.

Do you think it's a good idea for people with an addictive personality (which is by definition, the gambling industry's best customers) to be bombarded with adverts for the thing they're trying to give up? It's a fairly well-researched area and pretty established that advertising increases people's spending on gambling, and that applies equally to problem gamblers and normal gamblers. We ban tobacco advertising because it's addictive, so why not gambling? It doesn't stop you having a cheeky bet when you feel like it.

A football fan who wants to watch West Ham vs. Newcastle, including the pre-match and post match, I'm basically subjected to a nearly 3 hour gambling advert where the only time there's nothing advertising gambling on the screen is during the adverts for other stuff.

It's true that people can get addicted to all sorts of things, but that doesn't mean we should be encouraging it, especially at a time when the number of addicts is not only increasing, but also getting younger.
Sorry mate it's no ones fault.....individuals need to take responsibility for their individual actions. Not blame anyone or anything else.
They can advertise say whiskey 24/7 and I will never touch it. I hate the smell and taste.....so we disagree!

As with anyone who is wrestling with an addiction, I hope he gets the support he needs. However, as a pundit he should consider a career change.

Our TV's are bombarded with gambling outlets competing with each other to part the viewers with their hard-earned cash.
That arbitrary slogan they peddle "when the fun stops... stop" irritates the f#@k out of me, for two reasons: one, the fun stopped years ago for most of their punters and two, they would go broke if people did stop. They don't give a toss about their customers.
I would enjoy asking the betting bosses about that. It is a throw away comment at best, at worst betrays a severe lack of understanding regarding human nature. I would ask them how such a comment can be used when human nature dictates we become invested in behaviour even if destructive; That getting out of such a nasty downward spiral can take more than a simple mental switch of "stop". We just don't work that way, never have and they know it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.