Smart TV's, recommendations please

Roku. Widest compatibility with streaming services.

£20 for roku express on Amazon at the moment.

No need for 4K and other extras if you get with better models if you only have a budget TV.
That is not really correct. All Roku has extra is "The Roku Channel" which lists stuff you can find freely on yt like old westerns for example. Anything people use in the real world, Disney+, Netflix, Prime etc is all on the firestick to. I know of no streaming services you can't get on a firestick that you can on the Roku, besides the Roku channel which is imo very meh.

It also has a locked down OS with no option to load apps like tivimate, perfect player, iptv smarters. Which the vast majority of users use sticks for. They employ a 2 man team to actively vet all apps added to make sure you can't use iptv for sailing the high seas if you get me. Plex being a possible exception.

Not having a pop bud, just trying to get more detailed info out to those who may read this thread. Roku is great if you are after a more polished smart tv setup that your tv already has, just netflix etc. For the vast majority a firestick is a wiser option.

That is not really correct. All Roku has extra is "The Roku Channel" which lists stuff you can find freely on yt like old westerns for example. Anything people use in the real world, Disney+, Netflix, Prime etc is all on the firestick to. I know of no streaming services you can't get on a firestick that you can on the Roku, besides the Roku channel which is imo very meh.

It also has a locked down OS with no option to load apps like tivimate, perfect player, iptv smarters. Which the vast majority of users use sticks for. They employ a 2 man team to actively vet all apps added to make sure you can't use iptv for sailing the high seas if you get me. Plex being a possible exception.

Not having a pop bud, just trying to get more detailed info out to those who may read this thread. Roku is great if you are after a more polished smart tv setup that your tv already has, just netflix etc. For the vast majority a firestick is a wiser option.
Surprisingly you can get The Roku Channel via Sky Q apps but think I've seen it elsewhere. Roku gets the BT Sport app, is that on Firestick now?

Edit: Looks like you can now.

Last edited:

That’s a fair point, but the poster I was replying to didn't have a smart phone until recently, not sure if he followed through and purchased one, so may not have one still.

If you want an IPTV service and are technologically minded, patient and persistent enough to update when services inevitably go down, go for firestick.

For a user friendly UI and best budget option, Roku express just edges it.

But another benefit of the Roku is that it isn't tied to any tech behemoth, you won't fall foul of the little falling outs between each other in the event something like the below situation crops up again.

Last edited:
Had LG for a few years now,never let me down,great picture and all the gizmo's.
Same here. I'm well happy with my 2014 LG. Not 4K but before i bought it, it was one of the most vivid pictures in the shop. I may skip 4k and eventually buy an 8k because I'll probably buy another LG.

However, the new Sony Bravia's are very good TVs nowadays. They lost their way to Korean market leaders LG and Samsung but have since upped their game.

Got my mum a Sony Bravia as Richer sounds had it(9000 series) at a bargain price and came an extensive 6 year guarantee. I cant recommend them high enough at the Manchester store. Really helpful and they know their telly's and hi-fi stuff.

LG TV's are some of the best on the market, try Richer Sounds for a demo.
Yes six year warranty from Richer Sounds, good prices and customer service too

Mentioned on another thread I picked up a Sharp Aquous 4k 50" for £275 (quite a good reduction).
The UI is suprisingly good (no need for the Firestick, at least for the time being - all the major apps are included whilst others can be grabbed).

Easy to use and with Freeview HD, Netflix and Prime I'm pretty much good to go without spending much more.

I wasn't in the market for a TV (was going to wait till I moved then perhaps look at the OLED sets) but I'm more than happy with this.
Struggles with really dark scenes but upscales 4k well and 'actual' 4k is lovely (not quite OLED, expensive lovely....but you know).

Mentioned on another thread I picked up a Sharp Aquous 4k 50" for £275 (quite a good reduction).
The UI is suprisingly good (no need for the Firestick, at least for the time being - all the major apps are included whilst others can be grabbed).

Easy to use and with Freeview HD, Netflix and Prime I'm pretty much good to go without spending much more.

I wasn't in the market for a TV (was going to wait till I moved then perhaps look at the OLED sets) but I'm more than happy with this.
Struggles with really dark scenes but upscales 4k well and 'actual' 4k is lovely (not quite OLED, expensive lovely....but you know).
That’s a great price. Can’t see that for less than £370 online.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.