So what's to be done?

City_Sean said:
Give Pellegrini another year, but more importantly, sign young energetic players with the ability to press.

The most startling thing is we have no pace, we are so slow and flat in our build up. I genuinely think we need four world class players to take us up a level.

Agree, but watching last night it looked to me as if our fitness levels are shit players on the barca side of a similar age looked full of ruining our lot looked tired before we kicked a ball

Unfortunately, buying 4-5 world class players at CB, RB, Wide forward, CM and most importantly a world class man IN THE DUGOUT is only option.

i think a decision on Pellegrini can and should be left until the end of the season.

The more urgent decision is about Begiristain's position. We can't wait until the end of the season to carry out a review of recruitment strategy and then decide we need a new DoF. If we intend to replace him then really we need to do that in the next few weeks.

cibaman said:
i think a decision on Pellegrini can and should be left until the end of the season.

The more urgent decision is about Begiristain's position. We can't wait until the end of the season to carry out a review of recruitment strategy and then decide we need a new DoF. If we intend to replace him then really we need to do that in the next few weeks.

I am sure only reason we got him is to attract Pep and Barcelona players. It has not happened. If he can't recruit Pep, he has no place here.

Kladze said:
babyajay said:
Hart

Zabaleta Kompany CB LB

CM Fernandinho

RW Silva LW

Kun

For me we have 5 positions that need addressing in the summer.

Huge summer ahead of us in regards to both recruiting and offloading.
Mangala needs time, and will possibly be a lot better next season. Denayer should be promoted to the first team as well. The rest I agree with, except we need two CM's if Yaya or Fernando is sold.

Hart

Zabaleta Kompany Mangala LB

CM (Yaya) CM

RM Silva LM

Aguero
We'd win a lot more games with that formation. Definitely.

Two version of a 4-5-1 is the way I see it, one against weaker opposition and one for stronger or equal opponents. Only difference would be the shape of the midfield trio.

------------ CM ----------- CM --------------
------------------- ACM ---------------------

Or:

------------------- DCM ---------------------
------------ CM ----------- CM --------------

As of right now, our only current midfielder who is good enough to take us forward is Fernandinho, player of the month so far.
Imagine if we had the likes of Koke, Pogba, Modric, Kondogbia, Schneiderlin, De Bruyne, Veratti, Matuidi to choose from. We would be such an immensely stronger team with a powerful, energetic and creative midfield.

The levels of fitness intensity are shocking.

It becomes more pronounced when we keep making the same mistakes.

We are accommodating reputation, rather than necessity.

Toure, Nasri, Silva.

Not one of them has it in their locker to put in consistent hard yards, not their game

I would argue only one can play at any one time. Silva is a luxury we can just about carry, but not the other two.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
The levels of fitness intensity are shocking.

It becomes more pronounced when we keep making the same mistakes.

We are accommodating reputation, rather than necessity.

Toure, Nasri, Silva.

Not one of them has it in their locker to put in consistent hard yards, not their game

I would argue only one can play at any one time. Silva is a luxury we can just about carry, but not the other two.

After last night's showing, I don't think you'd get too many objections to dropping Yaya and Nasri.

The blindingly obvious problem however is who do we replace them with, especially for games like last nights? There are precisely 4 players in our ranks who have the ability to control the ball in an instant, retain possession whilst surrounded and get a pass away. Dropping 2 of them leaves us in very bad shape. Not only against Barca, but against any teams that a play high tempo pressing game. Players like Milner, for all his graft, just can't do it and gives the ball away constantly when pressed. Apart from Aguero, Silva, Toure and Nasri, all our players do.

That, for me, was the biggest gulf last night. The technical ability of that team was just streets ahead of ours.

Fernd_06 said:
Unfortunately, buying 4-5 world class players at CB, RB, Wide forward, CM and most importantly a world class man IN THE DUGOUT is only option.

In time that will be done but we cannot do this all at once.

Apart from the risk factor (our recent purchases are somewhat suspect), our balance sheet has only just got into the black so being able to afford several really good players may be a no go if FFP rules are to be complied with.

SilverFox2 said:
Fernd_06 said:

In time that will be done but we cannot do this all at once.

Apart from the risk factor (our recent purchases are somewhat suspect), our balance sheet has only just got into the black so being able to afford several really good players may be a no go if FFP rules are to be complied with.
But why do we keep spending 30 odd million for average players? I'm not sure the club has plan in terms of signings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.