So what's to be done?

jayblue said:
I wonder if sheikh mansour was watching today. He must think tens of millions spent improving a double winning team. 100s of millions on a training ground. Millions spent expanding the ground to watch Liverpool play us off the park and to top it off Chelsea lifting the cup that we won last year and wimped out of this year and no improvement again in the champions league.. Fuck me he must be a patient man. If it were me I'd be pissed.

Pellegrini is in his second season of the much-vaunted '5-trophy target'. At the moment I don't think anyone of us can see where the 3rd trophy of his tenure is going to come from. I would be amazed if the Sheikh thinks any differently.

This hasn't just happened at Anfield, it's been coming for weeks. City have for the most part of this season been well below what is required to retain the title. We haven't kicked on from last season and most other teams have sussed us out. Today being a perfect example.

'What's to be done ?' is indeed the question for which Sheikh Mansour is entitled to demand an answer. Let alone the tens of thousands of us disappointed supporters.

The biggest problem for me is Pellegrini thinks we are better than we are. It doesn't matter who we are playing he plays the way he wants and shows the opposition no respect whatsoever. People moan about Mourinho parking the bus etc but he does this because he respects the opposition and he does what it takes to get the result. Pellegrini just selects his XI and sends them out with the same tactics every week.

As for what needs to be done?!?

Spend £150m and buy some genuine quality instead of scratching round buying nobodies and hoping they can make the step up. We are going out of our way to comply with FFP so we can enter a competition we aren't good enough to win and it's killing us. This city side is a million miles from winning the Champions League so fuck UEFA and fuck FFP!

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Chippy_boy said:
(A) Nothing? All is well and every teams have these blips. Keep the faith and we'll win the season again?

(B) New manager? Pellegrini has shown his limitations and inability to learn from mistakes and the time has come to replace him? But who with?

(C) New players? Window after window of disappointing transfers, and now somehow - with FFP spending restrictions still in place for the next 2 windows, we are to miraculously sign star players?

(D) New management team? The team that oversaw us fail FFP in the first place and has presided over poor transfer after poor transfer?

Honestly, I don't know what to make of it, nor what we should do. But I don't think its (A), do you?

Nothing will be done at this stage. I'm sure all the management team will be summoned in the close season to Abu Dhabi where a analysis of this season will take place.

As others have said this season we have had FFP to deal with. The hang Over from the World Cup. An unusual amount of injuries to key players. The ACON tournament to deal with.

Next season with non of these on the horizon I expect us to make a better fist of it. However one thing is for certain I'll be utterly amazed if Pelligrini gets his contract extended so he will be gone somewhere around 1st July 2016.

I wish people would stop going on about this. We spent 32 million on a defender who isn't a regular starter for his country. Zouma looks an upgrade. Fernando. Why? And now Bony. We've spent plenty but unlike Chelsea not wisely.

We have the basis of a very good squad still. But we only really have Fernandinho as a regular midfielder. Need a couple more in there. The rest of the team will benefit from that. Kompany will defend better if offered more protection for starters.

richards30 said:
Are we free from spending restrictions this summer?

I fucking hope so or its going to get very messy and thats not a pun!

I really hope someone is available to replace Pellegrini. That AS report about Rafa coming because Pep is unavailable fills me with dread.

This is an English club, not a Spanish mafia. We shouldn't be limited to only managers from the Spanish-speaking world. We need a rethink of our whole approach, not more of the same with different seasoning.

Get Simeone.
He'll keep Kun happy, and will make sure the rest of the squad perform as they should. Every single time. He won't accept bs or lackluster attitudes.
Let him have a few additions to his squad, the kind of players he wants and get rid of unmotivated and not good enough deadwood.

If the problem is a long term, structural failure requiring different playing staff and maybe managerial staff nothing can be done before summer. Many fans, including me have become increasingly alarmed by a failure to carry out certain basic elements of the game, especially against teams who don't concede early goals. The problem appears to reflect what goes on, or maybe more what doesn't go on, on the training ground, but, of course, I don't know that.

When Pellers came to the club we were told to expect high risk football and last season this appeared to mean exciting games with a lot of goals. Far from being a waste of money many of the signings seemed unqualified successes: Fernandinho seemed the answer to our problems of "transition", Negredo scored almost every time he put his boots on and Navas gave us real penetration. We warmed up with 7 against a hapless Norwich side, we treated Spurs to 6 and Arsenal were stuffed when we stuck six past them. We were good enough to win two trophies. There were problems in central defence and central midfield for the first 3 months of the season but by November these appeared to have been solved and most of the time we were unstoppable.

This season we are playing high risk football of a wholly different kind. We still play the offside trap, we still play a high defensive line but we don't seem to want to put too much pressure on the ball. We don't seem to notice when opponents get behind our midfield and our back four are overrun and overwhelmed. Today this didn't actually lead directly to either of Liverpool's goals, but it led to both of Barcelona's on Tuesday. Barcelona are a great side and such a lack of attention to such major detail will lead to disaster ten times out of ten. Against Liverpool we paid for getting four players round the ball but none pressuring Coutinho, so he had plenty of time to aim and fire. We have seen Stoke, Newcastle et al show that you don't always have to be in Barcelona's class to profit from City's failings. On other occasions we had some players scampering back but not others and there seemed to be uncertainty about who should be where. On more than one occasion our players nearly ran into each other, going for, but not getting, the ball. The defensive line has to be rehearsed endlessly,, pressing is a team activity which needs ours of paractice to perfect and going forward and getting back into defensive formation is the same. At Barcelona Guardiola had the team drilled to get int defensive/ball winning formation within seconds of losing the ball. Today we let Liverpool run through our midfield at will: on Tuesday we let Barcelona destroy us. I suspect much of the answer to our problems lies on the training ground and begins with a few sharp reminders that teams have to play without the ball as well as with it. We still have eleven PL matches to play and we need every point we can get.

I think our squad can be strengthened in the summer and will probably have to be, but for the PL I think it is more than good enough. We must defend as a team though , and at the moment Pellegrini's defence of two pretty shabby performances has stopped sounding like the cool voice of calm and reason and more like the complacent voice of stubborn inflexibility.

Matt the Giant said:
Get Simeone.
He'll keep Kun happy, and will make sure the rest of the squad perform as they should. Every single time. He won't accept bs or lackluster attitudes.
Let him have a few additions to his squad, the kind of players he wants and get rid of unmotivated and not good enough deadwood.

This please

[quote="

My main worry is that Aguero might get fed up with City.[/quote]

Only this

Watching him during matches this season he has looked more pissed off than ever

He works hard off the ball and seems frustrated his teammates can't see the game like he does

He is a winner and he'll want to win things long term - all that is dictated by the players around him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.