So why did Mancini drop Lescot for Kolo?

Mancini might have read BM and have been confused by all that posts that were saying "Lescott is the weak link"

More comfortable with the ball at his feet and quicker than Lescott.

Lescott is the better defender though imo

Don't think that Kolo was at fault for the result, and in many of the games this season Lescott has had little to do in comparison to last night, because the offensive element of the team was firing on all cylinders against a lower class of opposition. In my experience, success is usually when defenders and goalkeepers have very little to do.

For me, Nasri and Yaya were MIA, last night. Barry was trying to make tackles, mostly trying to compensate for Yaya who was merely a bystander, but Barry just couldn't cope with Bayern's pace and passing, and was being overun in midfield. Richards and Clichy competed quite well against a team that has built it's recent success through tricky wing play. NDJ was not 100% fit, so it would've been risky playing him from the start. I would have swapped Milner for Nasri at half-time. And then De Jong for Yaya on 55 mins. Milner and Richards both have the ability to ping decent deliveries into the box, and Dzeko could have had better service from wide areas, it's astounding that a 6ft3 striker didn't get the chance to compete for a header with Van Buyten or Boateng, who he could easily master given enough opportunities. I think Silva needs to bulk up a little, not Tevez style, but more of a Messi/Aguero physique. He seems abit too lightweight at times. If he could ward off his man marker, then he could hold the ball up much longer while waiting for the runners to get into position, instead of the defenders or DM's knicking the ball off him. Bayern were able to retrive the ball all too easy for me.

Every game in the champions league is a learning experience, win loose or draw, and it's the perfect measuring tool to help you learn about your strengths and weakness's. Platt, Kidd and Mancini will be sitting down tomorrow and going through all of this with a fine tooth comb, Tevez won't even get a mention, coz there's work to do.

Kolo was brought in for his champions league experience and his ability on the ball at this level. Lescott has been playing well in the league but if you remember he had a very uncomfortable time against Napoli and this is probably why Kolo played.

I think it was Mancini doing what he does with the full backs and taking into account the different attributes that each has and what teams they would be most effective against, he may have been thinking that Toure's best games for us were against good footballing teams like Arsenal and Chelsea so that was why he was chosen for Bayern. I'm surprised though as I really thought Lescott had won him over but he didn't show much faith in him. But for me Kompany and Lescott are clearly our best centre backs and together they make the best partnership (that we know of) so Toure should not be rotated into the team unless one of them can't play.

RVZ Urmston said:
Kolo was brought in for his champions league experience and his ability on the ball at this level. Lescott has been playing well in the league but if you remember he had a very uncomfortable time against Napoli and this is probably why Kolo played.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the sole reasoning behind picking a player who'd been away for ages in football terms in order to defend against the likes of Ribery, Gomez and Moller.

Some things just aren't rocket science, and the game the other night was a perfect example of that. Nearly everything was wrong from the very beginning.

Mike N said:
Now that the dust has settled, l still cant work out why be brought Kolo back in. I thought Lescot played well on Saturday and Toure has played one game in months. As it happened he was very poor and l think Mancini made a mistake with this selection. He could, and maybe should, have left the swap until Saturday.

He dropped him because he doesn't trust him at that level. He makes mistakes against average teams.
The left side of our team is a real worry: Clichy,Kolarov,Barry and Lescott and indeed, Nasri who doesn't track back.

No one seems to have mentioned that Lescott might have picked up a knock against Everton Cloggers Club. Fit enough for the bench just in case but best to rest it and use our 'squad'. Well, in theory.

Seems a shame to talk about bad decisions without the facts and reasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.