Sol Campbell court case

He's a high profile professional footballer, seen more offensive stuff written about Barton in our daily rags.

Beckham puts up with it.

Everyone thinks this a new phenomenon, George Best and Gascoigne took appalling abuse in two separate eras, Best was called queer every week, Gaascoigne was called fat and retarded they just dealt with it.

No doubt-the chants at the "multi-millionaire spuds-loving Aresnal-signing free transfer" Campbell are not particularly "nice."

Had they taken place at WHL-Would the prosecutions have happened?I doubt it.

But where do we now draw the line as to the involvement of the constabulary?

"Carlos Tevez" chant anyone........the words "Argy cnut" present in the verse,if I'm not mistaken?

"Mewnik" chants...unasvoury,yes-but enough to get arrested for?Not plod's decision,for me.

Blackburn fans shouting-"you're just a town full of smackeds" at us at CoMs.....maybe I see fit to legally eliminate the "stereotype" image they're portraying of Mancunians?

When you start deciding what is and isn't "acceptable" at football matches-be very careful where it might take you.

Theres not been that many people in recent times who have had to put up with the stick Campbell has. This was probably the game that tipped him over the edge.

But why do we sing songs like this about opposition players? Were trying to have an effect on their game, and shouldnt be taken too seriously

What this will do though is set a legal precident. You may want to think twice before belting out any O'Shea songs, though i believe he takes it all in good spirit.

bluemoon32 said:
This was it, horrible.

Sol, Sol, wherever you may be, Not long now til lunacy, And we couldn't give a f***, When you're hanging from a tree, Judas **** with HIV

Please delete if offended...mods

Agree that it's a horrible chant. It has homophobic connotations but I'm not sure about whether it's racist or not. I think the hanging from a tree line could be more to do with his past mental problems but like I say, I don't know. Either way, it's quite shocking.

BUT....

Are we any better? Even leaving aside any references to M*nich which we're widely agreed on is the ultimate in offensive chants, there are others that get an airing on a regular basis. The O'Shea chant might not contain quite so many different offensive references compared to the Sol Campbell song but even though it clearly doesn't offend him (O'Shea that is, not Campbell) it no doubt will offend some people, particularly those from the gay community. And people seem to be overlooking the long-standing Ryan Giggs song - "He's got AIDS and can't get rid of it". Even though he hasn't and even though he's not gay, it's no worse than the last line of the Sol Campbell song.

Personally, as much as I don't like them, I feel Spurs fans have been made scapegoats here. Much of it is probably down to Sol Campbell's own complaints but to my knowledge Spurs fans have been singing derogatory songs about him ever since he left for Arsenal 8 years ago, many of which have poked fun at his alleged sexuality from the off so it begs the question as to why he only spoke up after this particular game. Having said that, I seem to remember the Twitcher being even more vocal about all this at the time so perhaps the police have acted more on his protests than Campbell's. Whichever way you look at it though, if this is a precedent then a huge percentage of football fans up and down the country had better watch their backs. At least half of us could've been nicked at The Swamp last week for joining in with the O'Shea song.

Holden Balls said:
Theres not been that many people in recent times who have had to put up with the stick Campbell has. This was probably the game that tipped him over the edge.

But why do we sing songs like this about opposition players? Were trying to have an effect on their game, and shouldnt be taken too seriously

What this will do though is set a legal precident. You may want to think twice before belting out any O'Shea songs, though i believe he takes it all in good spirit.

Lampard and Terry suffered abuse, Terry's mum is a shoplifter and Frank is fat, if someone had said their mums gangbanged 12 black men would it be any less abusive or a distortion of the truth? Seriously no offence meant.

lets bring back the football rattle

RobbieBrewer said:
No doubt-the chants at the "multi-millionaire spuds-loving Aresnal-signing free transfer" Campbell are not particularly "nice."

Had they taken place at WHL-Would the prosecutions have happened?I doubt it.

But where do we now draw the line as to the involvement of the constabulary?

"Carlos Tevez" chant anyone........the words "Argy cnut" present in the verse,if I'm not mistaken?

"Mewnik" chants...unasvoury,yes-but enough to get arrested for?Not plod's decision,for me.

Blackburn fans shouting-"you're just a town full of smackeds" at us at CoMs.....maybe I see fit to legally eliminate the "stereotype" image they're portraying of Mancunians?

When you start deciding what is and isn't "acceptable" at football matches-be very careful where it might take you.

Personally, I think that if you're going to have a sliding scale with regards to offensive chants at football matches then those mocking death should surely be at the top? Which leads me to wonder why no-one ever seems to have been nicked for singing about M*nich, Hillsborough, Istanbul, Ibrox, Aberfan, Foe, Best, or anything else involving death. I'd put the racist chants slightly further down the scale followed closely by the homopohobic ones. But the authorities seem more keen to eradicate the racist and homophobic chants above those having a pop at the dead. If the truth be told, racist chanting amongst most clubs' fans in this country these days is thankfully virtually extinct anyway - most comments or chants are usually uttered by an individual rather than a large group of people. Which means the offender can be more easily identified. Whereas offensive chants in other categories are aired by a much larger percentage of people - perhaps they'd be better concentrating more of their efforts on marginalising these as much as possible.

If the "hanging from a tree" bit is not intended to be racist then it's a very unfortunate accident. Pretty terrible imo.

DonJulio said:
If the "hanging from a tree" bit is not intended to be racist then it's a very unfortunate accident. Pretty terrible imo.

Kuyt Crouch Fowler Bellamy all hit branches on the Ugly tree

Offensive or humorous?

NICKS BACK said:
He's a high profile professional footballer, seen more offensive stuff written about Barton in our daily rags.

Beckham puts up with it.

Everyone thinks this a new phenomenon, George Best and Gascoigne took appalling abuse in two separate eras, Best was called queer every week, Gaascoigne was called fat and retarded they just dealt with it.
Actually I have not seen more offensive stuff written about the thug Joey Barton in our daily rags. Everything written about Barton is true and anyone who saw the 'McDonalds' video where the phsyco bully kicked the shit out of some poor defenceless young kid knows that Barton got off lightly - if he were not Joey Barton he would still be 'taking it up the arse' in HMP now.

Yeah and look at what happened to Best and Gascoigne. One's six feet under after getting through two livers and the other is publically living through his issues and has been near to death himself at times.

Great examples of people who coped with being the subject of offensive chants week in and week out - I don't think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.