Some Of Our Fans

Didsbury Dave said:
peoffrey said:
TGR said:
Our support has changed in recent years without a doubt - of this I am convinced.

In what way? None of the usual lads I grew up with are going anymore because they've been priced out. They also didn't enjoy the flatter atmosphere and Showsec antics inside the ground.

Our support has changed, in fact football support in general, has become miles better behaved and more civilised. All seaters occasionally throw together two "types" of fans who wouldn't usually mix, but in general it's safe as house for kids.

25 years ago a game like this would have had mass battles in the streets and pubs, bottles being thrown, crushes on the terraces, stabbings etc.

Football fans are just getting that "remember when every summer was hot and wagon wheels were bigger" syndrome that people get.
Tis true.

Not City related but bring stood under the main stand at Frickley v Stalybridge Celtic FA cup tie was pretty hairy.

Mind you prob not a clever thing by the bridge lads to sing "Arthur Scargill is a wanker" during the miners strike.

Football today is different on and off the field. Then everybody was pissed up and aggressive and there were less families attending. Rucks were the order of the day and I wasn't a particularly good fighter.

Nowadays more fans on drugs and alcohol and the aggression seems to be a tad paranoic. And more families in the mix meaning incidents can occur in front of them. Also instant social media has given everybody a voice and where an incident might previously have only been known to those nearby now within seconds the whole world has an opinion.

Didn't go Sunday do cant comment on that but didn't find the Wigan final any worse than I had expected though I was surprised at the amount of aggro between fellow blues. Sometimes sparked by the most trivial of things.

Not saying any one is right or wrong just trying to give my take in things.

Dave

I have to agree with this. I have taken my kids (now aged 13, 10 and 8) to as many away games as I can (primarily in London as that is where we now live) and to Wembley on several occasions (never thought I'd be able to write that) including Wigan and Sunderland. I am by no means condoning some of the behaviour discussed on this thread but it's mostly pretty small beer compared to the 80's. If you don't think your kids can handle the generally more chaotic nature of an away game including the standing, swearing and level of drunkeness amongst certain fans then don't take them. I know it is not fair that a few people's actions mean your kids don't get to experience Wembley but you have to be realistic about the kind of behaviour they are going to encounter. Personally speaking I thought Sunday was magic. The atmosphere at Wigan was poisonous but the behaviour wasn't really that different. My kids actually like all the chaos rather than the more "relaxed" atmposhere in the Family Stand but thay might be my fault I suppose.

Didsbury Dave said:
peoffrey said:
TGR said:
Our support has changed in recent years without a doubt - of this I am convinced.

In what way? None of the usual lads I grew up with are going anymore because they've been priced out. They also didn't enjoy the flatter atmosphere and Showsec antics inside the ground.

Our support has changed, in fact football support in general, has become miles better behaved and more civilised. All seaters occasionally throw together two "types" of fans who wouldn't usually mix, but in general it's safe as house for kids.

25 years ago a game like this would have had mass battles in the streets and pubs, bottles being thrown, crushes on the terraces, stabbings etc.

Football fans are just getting that "remember when every summer was hot and wagon wheels were bigger" syndrome that people get.

100% bullshit.

TGR said:
Didsbury Dave said:
peoffrey said:

100% bullshit.

Summers were hotter, wagon wheels were bigger, we left our front doors open and there were no paedophiles, eh? And we all held hand through the segregation wire at wembley in 1981 and 1986.

peoffrey said:
TGR said:

Perhaps just perhaps the usual lads you grew up with were looking for an excuse to do something different with their lives. Many mates of mine also stopped going.

Fortunately I am one of those Blues who will literally be CTID.

siathers said:
Dave

I have to agree with this. I have taken my kids (now aged 13, 10 and 8) to as many away games as I can (primarily in London as that is where we now live) and to Wembley on several occasions (never thought I'd be able to write that) including Wigan and Sunderland. I am by no means condoning some of the behaviour discussed on this thread but it's mostly pretty small beer compared to the 80's. If you don't think your kids can handle the generally more chaotic nature of an away game including the standing, swearing and level of drunkeness amongst certain fans then don't take them. I know it is not fair that a few people's actions mean your kids don't get to experience Wembley but you have to be realistic about the kind of behaviour they are going to encounter. Personally speaking I thought Sunday was magic. The atmosphere at Wigan was poisonous but the behaviour wasn't really that different. My kids actually like all the chaos rather than the more "relaxed" atmposhere in the Family Stand but thay might be my fault I suppose.
Been taking my kids now aged 15 and 13 to away games and all our Wembley trips for about 5 years now. Going to Arsenal in a couple of weeks and hopefully back to Wembley in April. All City fans we've encountered on our away trips have without exception been absolutely great towards my kids. I have never seen aggro between City fans, even at the Wigan final when it felt like every Blue was pissed as a fart including myself. I reckon most of the stories on this thread are either exaggerated for effect or just made up.

I must be doing something wrong, because people see more aggro and unacceptable behaviour each weektime than I've seen in over a decade. In the past few years Wembley without question has seen some of the best, friendliest, and good natured support I've seen in that decade.

I've read a lot of this thread and think the following.
1) Football, like society, has changed in the last 25 years or so and pissing in sinks, snorting coke, fighting, being drunk and disorderly may just be lads being lads but time has moved on and maybe we should move with them.
2) London police are crap. Totally unhelpful and seem to lack initiative.
3) Wembley authorities, Wembley council, Wembley police. Very poor. We were with loads of City and Sunderland fans drinking on one of the bridges. No toilet facilities and no litter bins. What did they expect to happen?
4) Wembley stadium. Crap. Toilet facilities were inadequate and unsupervised. Food and drink prices extortionate. Level of supervision inadequate.
5) Wembley stadium again. If children are allowed in then it is your duty to provide appropriate facilities. Maybe a family stand?
6) If you go in the opposition end then you keep your mouth shut.
7) Finally the FA. Early kick offs 3.00 and before are vital. Most fans arrive early and start drinking ( if not already ). We've already had Millwall disgracing themselves and sooner or later two p*ssed up group of fans will collide. Our semi with United was a powder keg and it was only the fact that City were at Wembley for the first time in years that prevented real trouble. I'd be concerned if/when we meet again at Wembley.

Didsbury Dave said:
peoffrey said:
TGR said:

I keep telling my dad that they were bigger because his hands were smaller

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.