Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

The result tonight wasn't a surprise to me. When you play a mish-mash team then there will be times you get a dog's dinner of a performance. Pep was trying to save as many players as possible for the derby which meant players playing who you wouldn't want in the team and even decent players playing out of position.

Players like Gomez aren't good enough, Palmer looks poor at the moment, Phillips started his first game in months, Cancelo looks like he can't be arsed. You can't carry that shit at this level even if you've got some decent players out there.

Can you imagine how much the squad would be stretched having to play United or Newcastle over 2 games on top of the crazy schedule we already have? It would be a shit show.

I don’t actually think the squad is good enough anymore in several areas to juggle 4 competitions. For me, it's not a bad thing we won’t have to play a 2 legged semi within a couple of weeks or so. I’m not sure we could have coped with the schedule without overplaying our better players to get through.

Ps

Playing shit in the game before we beat the rags in the derby used to be a good omen!
Maybe we saw it as an omen cause we played shit every game!

2-0
12-7 in chances
4-0 in shots on goal.
Absolutely abysmal performance against the worst team in the league, not a single shot on goal despite chasing a result all game. Both the players and Pep should look themselves in the mirror tonight and ask themselves what the hell we are doing. If this was a one of a kind thing we could say something like "we just rested some players for the derby" or whatever. But this is starting to happen quite often, Brentford and Everton comes to mind, and it seems like we are struggling in most (not all) games this season. The good games come around about as often as the bad ones. Its time to realize this years edition of City is far from as good as recent years, and I'm not sure we will turn this around this year. 4 trophies to compete for each season, only 3 left, after missing out on what was our best chance of one today. Its of course still possible we get back to our best, and we are still City and can win against anyone. But its hard to look at how we have performed in several games this season and still see ourselves as favorites for any of the remaining trophies, our performances are simply not consistent enough. I'm sure we will bounce back and win the derby (its the rags after all, they suck), but with performances like these coming way too often, its hard to be optimistic about winning any trophies this season. Always next year!

Cancelo and Gomez both taking foul thrown ins, sums both up.

Utter dogshit.

Pep seems to have strangled the spontaneity out of this team?

We seem to care more about what the opponent can do than we can?

Buy a proper left back this window or end up with nothing this season.

£200m on Grealish, Phillips, Ake and Akanji.

These are not top shelf players.
Does jude play left back?

Hopefully you'll be happier Saturday afternoon mate.

The lack of pace in the side is killing us now. Our midfield is full of technically gifted footballers but they are all slow. We don't seem to be able to get around the pitch quick enough. The midfield needs a complete rebuild. We need a winger with pace and the most obvious of all we need a fucking LB. Only positives for me at the moment is the boy Lewis and Ake is looking a player.

Cancelo proved tonight he’s a great left back. And that is all. Why didn’t pep take Gomez off and put walker to rb and Cancelo to lb where we’ve had success after success. No need to take bring 2 defenders on then. Cancelo has proven over and over he’s shit for us at right back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.