Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

Is it any surprise we have declined as a team this year when we have replaced:

Fernandinho with Phillips;
Jesus with Palmer; and
Zinchenko with Gomez?

This summer's transfer window was very poor.
There's a productive conversation to be had about our squad and form.

But 1. We went out of the league cup earlier last season than this season. And 2. Those are wilfully disingenuous summaries and comparisons of our transfer activity.

The worst performance under Pep. Not the end of the world but a wake-up call. Need to be ruthless to move forward now. Many of those players in the initial team tonight are not going to reach the level we need. We need to offload them in a managed way. Palmer and Gomez will never be elite players. We have blundered with Phillips and Grealish. Move them all on one by one and also Cancelo who looks like a one-season wonder. Our first choice 11 is still fantastic and could win the PL and CL this season. No time for being sentimental and I am sure Pep knows this. We need two fullbacks and back-up for Rodri and perhaps a rapid winger. You can't stand still.
Our recent English transfers have been really poor.

We have seen it now with Jack AND Phillips. Look great in mid table/bottom sides but just cannot reach the level required at City. Personally I think Jack is still way off, but Phillips looks like a Sunday league player.

His first touch of the game when he tried to control it and it bounced 10 yards straight to a Southampton player set the tone. He lost it again twice in the next 90 seconds and that was as good as it got.
Most overrated player we have

Southampton drew with Arsenal at St Mary's not so long ago in the League. We didn't respect them enough with that team . The Derby was more important for Pep. I can understand that but we must go back to a back four .

Walker right back- no inversion ( Lewis as back up. Can't start Derby but could come on later)
Pick from Stones Ake Akanji as centre backs . I'd even give Laporte the left back position over Cancelo. A good foundation. The rest of the team will follow .
He better bloody win the derby then the little bald lunatic.

We were awful, plenty has been and will be said about the poor performances, but that kit clash couldn’t have helped.

Peripheral vision basically useless. At times it genuinely looked like players were struggling to quickly determine which were teammates and which were opposition. Happened even with the players coming on in the second half.

I’d include whoever approved wearing the third kit in the match ratings with a -1/10.
I was amazed the officials allowed it

We really need to concentrate now. I accept a bad performance but no fixture congestion now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.