Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

Got to return to 4 at the back. We might just get a shot on target. I doubt he will do that but he is tampering with the team a lot and surely knows we just are not on it. Slow play . No creativity. Inverted some days . Non inverted other days. Lots of back passes which shows teams can press us and we just don't have an out. Where is our game. Basic City game. Signed Haaland and we can't create chances lately. Do we want it? I don't know. Huge game for us on Saturday now. Pep has to come through. He invented "pure possession and punish " type of football. Players have to step up too.

Bubbles burst. This isn't a blip.
At the risk of being called a "Wet Fanny " i agree.

These type of performances have become the new normal and are consistent this season.

I feel like complacency has set in right from the top down starting with Guardiola. He actually looks slightly disinterested.Like he is going through the motions.I am sure he isn't,but that is how it feels on and off the Pitch at the moment.

He is watching us play this slow,dull,insipid, football,pass to the back,pass to the side,pointless pass for the sake of passing. Dont lose possession being the most important thing.It is so far from Pep own footballing philosophy. I am starting to wonder what he is actually seeing out there on the Pitch.

Possibly the worst performance I have seen under Pep, certainly the 1st half. We were terrible, so many bad performances all round. Gomes is simply not good enough, Phillips looks way off the pace currently and is looking like a bad signing, Palmer offered nothing again, same with Grealish. Alvarez very quiet, Walker played badly but was put of position. Ortega looked like a competition winner. Gundagon was shocking. The only two who came with any credit 1st half were Foden and Laporte.

2nd half did improve slightly but the damage was already done. If Pep could've made 11 subs I reckon he would, we were that bad 1st half.

I think the team pretty much picks itself for the weekend now given that shambles, some of those players didn't do themselves any favours at all.

As for Cancelo, what is wrong with the guy? He has been awful this season. His form has completely disappeared from last season. He needs a rocket up his arse and fast because that was shite tonight.

Looking at it objectively I think there are a few players who probably think they should be playing more, who Pep - quite rightly - gave a chance to tonight. He has his answer and I think he will rotate less in the coming months because he cannot rely on certain reserves. That was horrendous.

Most upsetting for me is we had midfield players who we know are talented passing the buck to defenders to create anything. Gundo should have run this match yet didn't seem to want to. I love him but his first thought was always to play it back to Nathan or Laporte rather than drive forward. Not blaming him alone, same could be said of Phil & Jack but it's like a few looked at the team sheet and didn't fancy putting in the effort.

Just watching the replay of the second goal - the effort to make a tackle by both Phillips and Cancelo was really shocking.

Yet another listless performance - slow, a curious mixture of boring and frustrating to watch, and far too predictable to play against.

Beaten (and deservedly so - we can't have any complaints about that scoreline) by the worst team in the league with not a single shot on target in reply.

And so many players playing out of position - and I include Ortega in that. He clearly thought he was a CB tonight, not a goalie.

Summer window:

Sell: Ortega. Gomez. Akanji. Walker. Laporte. Cancelo. Gundogan. Grealish. Palmer.

Buy a proper f*cking left back.

Phillips is on the watch list - his injury record buys him more time.

Pay Bernardo whatever it takes to get him to stay.

Of course, we'll wind up selling none of this lot, with perhaps the exception of Grealish. Someone on the match day forum suggested that some players need three years to get used to Pep's system. Nonsense. I like the lad, but he just hasn't played well enough, consistently enough to buy any more time.

And we won't keep Bernie. Nor will we properly address the 6 year ongoing LB situation.

Far too many changes in the starting eleven and too many out of form players.
Isnt this the third year that we’ve faced premier league opponents in a late round of the cup and we’ve tried to field a weaker side. I would prefer us to put the kids out from the first round onwards. What pisses me off was thinking how we beat Liverpool and then we go out tonight with a whimper

Cost of living affects footballers too, and they are trapped in fixed term water tight contracts, so I support their right to strike/work to rule tonight.

They also thought of the fans by helping them "SAVE ON THE CUP SCHEME!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.