Southampton Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Pellegrini has a dilemma with the amount of strikers he has. Cause he has 4, he has to play at least 2 every game. Hence he has to sacrifice a midfielder and make us that bit more open in the middle. Games like today is one of the days we needed another man in there, but he is forced to play with 2 up top. Against the bigger teams I think we should line up with a front 6 of:

-----------------------Yaya---------------Fernandinho------------------
Silva----------------------------Nasri---------------------------Jovetic
---------------------------------Aguero-------------------------------------

That team has the technical ability and the numbers to control a game and dominate. And I think that team today could have seen the result different.

Arsenal have Everton, City and Chelsea in their next 3 so they will hopefully drop points. Obviously we must win next week and cut the gap. Arsenal won't have it easy at all tomorrow with Everton on a high so hopefully they drop points. We play Liverpool on boxing day which is also a must win but if we're there or thereabouts come the New Year, we have a very good chance of winning the league if we sort our away form out.

My only worry is that we have only got to play Chelsea at home (out of the other 'top' teams) in the 2nd half of the season. Our away form added to going away to Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, and Everton. We would usually add the rags to that list but we will win there again. They're just hilariously bad.

Onwards and upwards blues!

Stoned Rose said:
citymad said:
CapeTownBlue said:
Strange substitution from Pelligrini to bring Dzeko on. Toure not performing well but bringing on another striker ruined the formation again and left us vulnerable in midfield....AGAIN.

Aguero missing targets uncharacteristically and most of the final balls were woeful. Barely deserved a point.

C'mon Everton!

Weird substitution. Putting Garcia on was also strange. Anyone with a knowledge of the game could see he wouldn't cope against southamptons energy and quick passing. That's what really worries me about Pellers, very rarely does his subs make an impact in a positive way. We were outclassed and outfought and but for poor finishing we would have been swept aside.

I could argue his subs did impact the game in a positive way. It gave us more of a shield when the kitchen sink was being launched. MP did well and steered us to a valuable point.

As shit as Garcia is, the change in shape to 5 in midfield was actually our best spell of the match. The puzzling one was changing that to bring Dzeko on, and we got outnumbered again.

A point is not the end of the world, they're a decent side, but Pellers needs to learn that against decent sides away in the prem we will continue to get overran if he persists in playing 442.

I don"t quite understand why people are content with that point. Yeah, they're tough to play at St. Mary's, yeah, their tactics were spot on, yeah, they scored a wonder goal. But, we did jack shit. We missed 2 sitters, constantly gave them the ball, and displayed more of our patented 'seat of the pants defending'. If City were to do even a mediocre job in all 3 3rds of the pitch, then we win that game. The problem is that we played terribly in all categories. That was another performance worthy of a relegation candidate. Yaya Toure is the prime example of our team. At home he's a beast, one of the best midfielders in the world, away, he's a guy that should be pin-balling between teams that are challenging for promotion to the BPL. That is our team.

I can't even begin to understand why our home and away forms are so drastically different, but I'm gonna take a shot. Now I like Pellegrini, when City play at home it's a sight to behold, and that is Pellegrini at his finest. Away though, I think that's Pellegrinis lack of discipline shows. The carefree attitude and playing works at home, not on the road. They need that steely determination and the rigid tactics and never-say-die attitude at every stadium that isn't called The Eithad. The prima-donna players cried boo-hoo when Mancini called them out and eventually got him fired. Now everyone is in love Pellegrini because he always says, "hey, maybe next time pal", they don't give a fuck. Is anyone else annoyed to see Joe Hart laughing away on the bench EVERY TIME the camera is on him? I am.. To me that is the problem. They have no fear of getting reprimanded. When things get tough they just roll with it until it ends and then talk about how they need to get better. They're all bark and no bite on the road, and on the road is when you need every tooth to be razor sharp. I honestly think that if Pellegrini was to call the team out even once in the press it would be a giant step towards fixing the problem. Instead the team, (manager included), is just waiting for things to change rather than being pro-active and doing something about it.

Now I'm not saying Pellegrini out by any means, but he needs to take a page out of The Mancini Bible and give the players a real kick in the ass.

If anyone is still reading this then I thank you for entertaining my rant. I feel a lot better now.

Also, Kolarov has got to go, he has to, it's imperative. The last 4 minutes sums him up completely. Not to mention he is the epitome of wasted posession...

Paulmcfc2703 said:
Marvin said:
That was a good point

Is it beyond some of you to realise that Southampton are very strong at home and played a good game?

Win at WBA, draw at Southampton. That will see us slowly catch Arsenal. One step backwards, two steps forward.
Yes Southampton are strong at home but Boruc, Clyne, Schneiderlin & Wanyama were all out.

How does that show we are catching Arsenal? If the win tomorrow they move further ahead of us!

Another way of looking at it is they will be back to play against Chelsea,Liverpool and arsenal. A full strength Southampton team at home or away can beat anyone.

i8therags said:
Southampton have the 3rd best defence. Only Arsenal and Everton have conceded less. They are now above the rags and deserve to be. A good result for us today on reflection. I still think a win against Arsenal and the league is within reach for us.
Yet with all their injuries had conceded 6 in their last 2 games.

Before our game their home record is 4 wins 2 draws 1 loss. Not exactly a place to expect getting 3 points.

Im happy with the 1 point in the granf scheme of things but gutted we didnt get a lucky 3 points win.

Ill hazard a guess that we are gearing down for tired legs and preventing injury.

Southampton on a bad run with lots of injuries.

The Stretford outfit just lost at home again.

So what do City do?

They bottle it.

That's the old, old problem with City.

They can't seize opportunities.

PS - the last six games of 2011/12 were the exception that proves the rule.

krdskrm said:
Ballymagash Blue said:
Excellent defensive performance today. Despite their possession, very few real chances for them. Took a wonder goal to get them into it. Demichelis excellent throughout. The real disappointments were Kun and the Beast, who gave us very little up front. We can't win 'em all, and that was a good point. League might be won by as low as 75/76 points this year, so every point vital. Long way to go, and the season goes through different phases. Only title contenders that can be happy are Arsenal, and they've a tough stretch coming up. We were resilient today, and got a deserved point.

Oh my word. You're gonna get it from the folks here. RUN!
And so he should!

He was dreadful today, typical diving in and missing the ball and his passing was pathetic. I would have lescott against Bayern if Nastasic is still injured.

bluemanc1994 said:
Arsenal have Everton, City and Chelsea in their next 3 so they will hopefully drop points. Obviously we must win next week and cut the gap. Arsenal won't have it easy at all tomorrow with Everton on a high so hopefully they drop points. We play Liverpool on boxing day which is also a must win but if we're there or thereabouts come the New Year, we have a very good chance of winning the league if we sort our away form out.

My only worry is that we have only got to play Chelsea at home (out of the other 'top' teams) in the 2nd half of the season. Our away form added to going away to Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, and Everton. We would usually add the rags to that list but we will win there again. They're just hilariously bad.

Onwards and upwards blues!

I've no worries about going away to Arsenal,Liverpool etc, because we'll be up for them. It's the teams we think we should
roll over are the ones to worry about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.