Southampton Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Could be worse. Chelski have had Sunderland and Stoke away in the last 2 games. 3 points to our 4, 6 goals conceded to our 3. Neither are great records, but if we can beat the Arse and Dippers, things will not look so bad. Arsenal are no certainties to beat Everton. See how it looks in the New year.

citymad said:
CapeTownBlue said:
Strange substitution from Pelligrini to bring Dzeko on. Toure not performing well but bringing on another striker ruined the formation again and left us vulnerable in midfield....AGAIN.

Aguero missing targets uncharacteristically and most of the final balls were woeful. Barely deserved a point.

C'mon Everton!

Weird substitution. Putting Garcia on was also strange. Anyone with a knowledge of the game could see he wouldn't cope against southamptons energy and quick passing. That's what really worries me about Pellers, very rarely does his subs make an impact in a positive way. We were outclassed and outfought and but for poor finishing we would have been swept aside.

I could argue his subs did impact the game in a positive way. It gave us more of a shield when the kitchen sink was being launched. MP did well and steered us to a valuable point.

inbetween said:
Begbie said:
@BluePhil8 said:
Bull shit. In the first half Aguero and Nasri missed absolute sitters at 1-0 A game of two half's but no way did we rob anything.
Southampton didnt miss sitters then?...have a word with yourself fella...we were mid table at best today and a second string soton should have buried us

You have to remember a couple of years ago at Arsenal we were saying the same things as tonight and went on to win the league... It wasn't a great performance today but we have gained on Chelsea and hopefully tomorrow Everton will get something at Arsenal and suddenly a point looks good. We lost this game 3-1 last year so bringing it to 1-1 is pretty good if you ask me. The only downside to today apart from not winning is Liverpool winning but we play them in a few weeks... We can so easily be top for new year with the run we have after today.
thats the whole point though...a few years ago I would have put us in with a shout as we knew the players might be able to turn it on...with this manager i just dont see it happen

we need to beat arsenal now, it's a must or we are finished.

It's going to be interesting the next two weeks for arsenal as they have everton tomorrow, a must win game in naples, us next weekend and i think chelsea the week after.

i think both us and chelsea have to beat them, if that happens then in two weeks hopefully the table will look a bit more even at the top.

gman07 said:
kawkav said:
gman07 said:
what an excellent fotballsmatch... alot of chance, 2 teams going for it... I thought it was a real test for us and that we really did well considering we lost there last year with 3-0... clearly a step in right direction... southampton is playing really well and their passing is awesome... so calm and knows what to do with the ball... not many teams will press us like that so im well impressed with 1 point and lets get ready for Arsenal... 3points there will get us really going for the title!!

more and more teams are learning

we are one sided and don't have plan B
I dont agree with that... southampton is playing one kind of football that we have very difficulty to deal with if you look by experience... not many team can handle that and im sure we would have tonked them at home but on their ground you have to except that they give their all... it really was an excellent football match that I really did appriciate... its why premier league is about... tough away games! everyone can beat everyone!

A lot don't appreciate also the work you have to put in to play like they did, they are suffering from injuries and might be stretched but they haven't had to put shifts into a European campaign and the vast majority of them aren't internationals. It isn't an excuse but their fitness levels and what was a brilliant goal is the only difference between a win and a draw for us.

A good point for me, if we win against Arsenal (good that it is at home) this will look much better, than we have Fulham which is another very winnable game. With us putting further distance between United and closing on Chelsea, a good match day for me.

Ducado said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
Stoned Rose said:
Some proper negativity on this thread.

Extremely valuable point against IMO the best team we've played all season bar Bayern.

Thought we were extremely resilient and solid as fuck. Their goal was a worldy finish and I have to hold my hands up and say fair fucks to osvaldo. Other than that they didn't get a guilt edged chance to score despite a lot of possession. They threw a variety of situations at us and we handled them well.

Annoyingly we had 3 chances at 0-1 to finish the game but were wasteful. This has cost us the 3 pts.

In the grand scheme of the season a point at st Mary's is and will prove to be a very respectable and significant point. They will finish top 5 and are a very very good side.

I fancy Everton tomorrow. Chelsea dropped points. Utd are hilariously shit.

A decent weekend in my book.

Good post

Puts me in mind of the hysteria when we drew at home to Sunderland 3-3 in the season we won the league - look how important that point turned out to be.

I am afraid the hysteria will last all night on here, slowly getting worse as the night wears on

Don't really see any 'hysteria' - or not much, anyway. There's plenty of concern about the way we played, but that's justified, I think - mainly because we saw a lot of the same old failings we've seen all season (not pressing well enough) and most of last (inability to cope when others press us).

In terms of the result, of course a point at Southampton isn't bad.

gman07 said:
kawkav said:
gman07 said:
what an excellent fotballsmatch... alot of chance, 2 teams going for it... I thought it was a real test for us and that we really did well considering we lost there last year with 3-0... clearly a step in right direction... southampton is playing really well and their passing is awesome... so calm and knows what to do with the ball... not many teams will press us like that so im well impressed with 1 point and lets get ready for Arsenal... 3points there will get us really going for the title!!

more and more teams are learning

we are one sided and don't have plan B
I dont agree with that... southampton is playing one kind of football that we have very difficulty to deal with if you look by experience... not many team can handle that and im sure we would have tonked them at home but on their ground you have to expect that they give their all... it really was an excellent football match that I really did appriciate... its why premier league is about... tough away games! everyone can beat everyone!

Excellent post gman. Disappointing as it was a point is still a point gained.

Ballymagash Blue said:
Excellent defensive performance today. Despite their possession, very few real chances for them. Took a wonder goal to get them into it. Demichelis excellent throughout. The real disappointments were Kun and the Beast, who gave us very little up front. We can't win 'em all, and that was a good point. League might be won by as low as 75/76 points this year, so every point vital. Long way to go, and the season goes through different phases. Only title contenders that can be happy are Arsenal, and they've a tough stretch coming up. We were resilient today, and got a deserved point.

Oh my word. You're gonna get it from the folks here. RUN!

I think the only negative to today was that we didn't nick a goal right at the end. Aside from that a really solid match against a team that most in the league underrate until they actually face. Soton are really hard to beat at home and I think they'll take more Top 6 scalps as the season goes on. With Arsenal next at home we can start to look at closing the gap (just have to hope Everton win or draw in London)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.