Southampton Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

Stay calm drama queens. I think we had an off day. No one in the league presses as well as Southampton, this does mean that we really need to get points at Arsenal , a draw won't be all that bad either. We still have Liverpool at home in the first round of fixtures, so another big one.

Arsenal do play at Napoli on Wednesday before travelling back for early kick off on Saturday. They have to get a result , so they won't be resting anyone. We play Munich on Tuesday and I don't think we will beat them 3-0 so better to get a beating or just turn up and give the second string a chance and rest Aguero, Zaba, Fernandinho and Nasri. We should have Silva back for Arsenal so big boost that ! :D

10 out of 12 points in the last 4 games, 1p in a game where we deserved nowt. Chelsea lost and SCUM as well (although they are hardly title contenders). Draw between Gunners and Everton tomorrow and I'm not too bothered about today's result. If someone offered us 4 points away against WBA and Southampton before the games, I would've taken it.

Of all players, I think Yaya was the most disappointing. Dinho tried but Yaya had that lazy look again today and it was due to him we lost the midfield.

Best players today, Costel, Kompany and Kolarov.

Southampton a very positive and interesting team, Lallana is amazing.

After the Sunderland disaster we were on pace for 62 points for a whole League season. That is barely Thursday Night, Channel Five territory.

We are now on pace for 73 points which would almost win you the League in a down season. (From memory, 75 has won it at times in the modern era.)

Well done - all things considered. Particularly with picking up 4 points from two tricky away fixtures and Silva and/or Komps being out for most of that stretch.

Beat Arse next week and check the bookmakers' odds on the League title. I bet we are prohibitive favourites at that point. I think we're favourites even now.

To me, being in such a position RIGHT NOW and SEVEN CLEAR OF THE VERMIN is a proposition I probably could have lived with if offered same last summer.

BillyShears said:
3 man midfield should be Yaya/Fernandinho/Nasri with Silva/Navas taking up wide positions.

Not solid enough,Nasri and particularly Yaya are luxury players when up against energetic,tenacious opponents.

We require a Sandro type alongside Ferdy to counter-balance the mobility and fight.

BillyShears said:
LoveCity said:
He switched to 3 in midfield but it accomplished nothing because Garcia is often like an invisible man. Garcia didn't complete a single tackle in his 30 minutes on the pitch. Even Dzeko made one and he came on later.

Unless Rodwell shows something and stays fit or we buy a really good midfielder in January, 3 in the midfield might just be a pointless endeavour. And please don't say Milner, he isn't a holding midfielder just because he runs around a lot.

3 man midfield should be Yaya/Fernandinho/Nasri with Silva/Navas taking up wide positions.

I'd tend to agree, although I wouldn't mind seeing Rodwell/Fern/Yaya as a three at times. And Jovetic is key, I think, for us to play a front three - not sure Navas and Silva pose enough of a goal threat to both play there regularly. When we play one up front at the moment, we tend to end up looking a bit toothless.

sh249 said:
BillyShears said:
LoveCity said:
He switched to 3 in midfield but it accomplished nothing because Garcia is often like an invisible man. Garcia didn't complete a single tackle in his 30 minutes on the pitch. Even Dzeko made one and he came on later.

Unless Rodwell shows something and stays fit or we buy a really good midfielder in January, 3 in the midfield might just be a pointless endeavour. And please don't say Milner, he isn't a holding midfielder just because he runs around a lot.

I'd tend to agree, although I wouldn't mind seeing Rodwell/Fern/Yaya as a three at times. And Jovetic is key, I think, for us to play a front three - not sure Navas and Silva pose enough of a goal threat to both play there regularly. When we play one up front at the moment, we tend to end up looking a bit toothless.

Agree about Rodwell ... he needs to get fully fit first. Also last few times he's come on he's looked nervous and his positioning has been poor.

BLUEMATT23 said:
r.soleofsalford said:
BLUEMATT23 said:
On the face of it 4 points from 2 tough away games is OK. But given the Southampton injuries I expected more.

i said exactly the same about 4 point being good before the start of the week, but against a weaken saints side we were dire

Same old same old for me. 2 up front AWAY clearly does not work against high pressing high tempo teams but he is too stubborn to realize this.
Plus the attitude of the players against sides like the Saints needs to be significantly upped.

Maybe Pelle bought into the idea that, with their two best midfielders out, we wouldn't need to have five in there? Soon got proved wrong though. 4-5-1 has to be the default option away from home (but not with Garcia). Teams play differently against us than they do against less 'exalted' teams. when they are at home.
Will be interested to see what happens when Silva is back. Do we play him and Nasri, as well as two up front? Be fine at home, not convinced about away. Still, at least our problems are merely tactical, whereas United are just shite.

Before our game their home record is 4 wins 2 draws 1 loss. Not exactly a place to expect getting 3 points.

Im happy with the 1 point in the granf scheme of things but gutted we didnt get a lucky 3 points win.

Ill hazard a guess that we are gearing down for tired legs and preventing injury.

kupest said:
Stay calm drama queens. I think we had an off day. No one in the league presses as well as Southampton, this does mean that we really need to get points at Arsenal , a draw won't be all that bad either. We still have Liverpool at home in the first round of fixtures, so another big one.

Arsenal do play at Napoli on Wednesday before travelling back for early kick off on Saturday. They have to get a result , so they won't be resting anyone. We play Munich on Tuesday and I don't think we will beat them 3-0 so better to get a beating or just turn up and give the second string a chance and rest Aguero, Zaba, Fernandinho and Nasri. We should have Silva back for Arsenal so big boost that ! :D
Agreed, something like

Hart
Richards Vinnie Lescott Clichy
Yaya Garcia Rodwell
Navas Dzeko Milner

Against Bayern with a view to playing

Pants
Zabba Vinnie Demichelis Clichy
Yaya Dinho
Silva Aguero Nasri
Negredo

Against Arsenal.

Negativity

We just got a point against a very good in-form team, when playing away from home for second time in four days.

Reds lost, and are falling apart, chelsea lost and Arsenal have a tough game tomorrow.

Why do I get a feeling of negativity today ??

First caller on GMR, teaming up with Fred Fucking Eeyore Miserable **** Eyre, made me think we were bottom and going down. Questioning the manager and moaning about the players. Nearly crashed the van listening to the pair of miserable twats !!

I'm happy with where we are and think we'll only get better.

Cheer up !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.