Spurs (A) | FA Cup | Post Match Thread

Following winning the match any news yet on the bus parade namely the date, time and route?
It was last night mate. Went from Piccadilly Gardens to Oxford Road and back again stopping outside Wetherspoons. Every fucker was on Strikabombs. Was immense. Highlights should be on City+ later.

Cough cough
That's the problem though, VAR was sold to most fans that it would cut out the howlers & if anything VAR has made the offside rule worse. Before VAR, very few fans would even know about the many goals chalked off for being a shoe-size offside.
For a long time, I've seen offside as anti football especially the George Graham Arsenal team that would shrink the pitch by 30 yards

Advantage rule?

The only "advantage to the attack" rule was an instruction to the assistant not to flag unless sure the player was offside. Still applies without VAR. So far as I know, it's still the instruction with VAR, and the AR got it right last night. (Whether he would have been so sure without VAR is almost a psychological question.)

Anyway, here's why we wanted VAR... (Kyle Walker a yard offside for Spurs v City, 2015, not given)

View attachment 105471
Shouldn’t need VAR in a situation like that, just a linesman that does need a visit to the optician.

That never was the rule, just some pundit's pre-VAR idea, and no easier for the assistant referee to get right. The only change in over 100 years was that level was onside rather than offside (and making clear that hands and arms don't count).

True it wasn’t a rule but was there some kind of guidance at some point? The point is the margins are too fine to measure at the moment in many cases and it is producing ridiculous decisions.

If you go back to first principles, the offside rule was introduced to prevent goal hanging; it was never meant to be about fractional decisions and it shouldn’t be now.

Don’t know whether it has been discussed on here but it looks as though it was on its way in anyway and if he hadn’t touched it it would have been a goal. Could be wrong though?
I've just watched the replay on City+ and that was what struck me. I am convinced it would have crossed the line if young Oscar had not touched it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.