Spurs (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

We are not thinking about being champions'
FT: Spurs 1-0 Man City.

Manchester City Pep Guardiola speaking to Sky Sports: "We started really well, as usually happens against Tottenham home and away, but after we made a mistake they punished us - 1-0 down it is different, we had chances, and of course when we lose balls in transition with Kulusevski and Son, it is not easy. We dropped three points."

Did your players follow the plan? "Most of the time, yeah, But it is not easy when 10 players defend, and sit back a little bit more than in the Etihad two weeks ago. We played good, started well and missed maybe the last pass, to shoot."

On bringing on Kevin de Bruyne: "I wanted him for the last pass, to find between the lines, he can make one of these actions and that was the reason."

On City's poor record at Spurs: "Sooner or later it is going to change, but it is strange we haven't scored one goal, we have missed penalties in the past. To find an explanation is not easy.

"We found the positions, made good balls to the channels, but missed the last action up front.

"We are not in the position to think about being champions, just the next game, Aston Villa, we will prepare well and play our game as best as possible.

"Tottenham has a fantastic team and squad and they punish you. They have a lot of quality up front and don't need much with transitions, set pieces, give a lot of credit to them."
Fed up the ‘fantastic team’ platitudes.

I always thought this would be a transitional season, I just didn't think it would be this transitional.

Something is very wrong at the club at this moment. Has Pep lost the confidence and belief of the dressing room? It's starting to look that way.

I looked at that lineup pre game and thought what the fuck is that? Sadly my fears were proved right. Right now we're slow, ponderous, predictable, error prone, boring. Too many key players are getting old together and the players we bought to improve the squad Grealish, Phillips etcetera have been underwhelming. Haaland has scored a load of goals but has that improved us? The answer so far is no. That's not his fault of course but we either find a way to utilise him effectively or we're playing with a man short.

This is the end of our ten years at the top and we have to rebuild for the future now which might mean a few lean years. That's football.

Arsenal went there two weeks ago and dismantled them, we never layed a glove on them
Nailed it right there.

In a nutshell. Whether that is because Arsenal are a better team or because Spurs raise it against us who knows but the difference is black and white.

There was no space behind tottenham today but Arsenal got in behind them at will. Totally different set up.

We went there and shit the bed. This team needs an injection of pace and passion, they have brought us the title twice in the last two years, maybe pep has smelt the drop and knows we need a bit of an overhaul.

Poor result today, honestly thought we would get something out of the game from last time we played them.

I think when Grealish and ake our best players mostly because of the hardwork they put it in sums up our lack of creativity and chances that we are making.

I do believe pep won't change it this year but I'm expecting some changes over the summer and a little re build. We can't win them all 4 in the last 5 titles is good going and a drop off is bound to happen, still a long way to go.

There’s not enough leaders in our team , people to stand up and be counted.

Today was like numerous occasions you knew once behind we weren’t coming back.

Pep says he doesn't want nice happy flowers but then picks players if they are happy and smiling in training and drops those who are driven to play and win.

Neither did we. Highest paid manager because he is the most succesful ever. It's normal. It happens in all sports, there are teams/players that struggle against certain opposition.
And he's paid massively to find solutions and employ systems to ensure that the mistakes of the past aren't repeated. In previous defeats there, we've played them off the pitch, created numerous great chances but not been able to score and been caught by a sucker punch - usually from Son. Today we created virtually nothing and gifted them a goal which proved to be a winner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.