Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

No wingers, no pull backs, no silva through balls to overlapping players, everything is coming backwards. Mahrez is the worst at this, but Sterling when he plays isn’t shy at it.
We hit the brick wall every game and come up short in hurdling it. Possession is high attempts are high, corners are high but goals are low. We’ve needed a striker for some time and our pace in attack has all but gone.
I love pep and I’m delighted he’s staying on, but holy fuck, how does he not play Foden over Mahrez.

Okay, slept on it and should be thinking a little more clearly.

Taking this game in isolation: not the end of the world. 2-0 to a top 4 team/title challenger happens. They played great and gave us no space to run or create. We were toothless. Couple of big mistakes. One positive - I felt a few of those first half corners made us look like a threat from set pieces. How often could we have said that in recent times?

————

But it’s not just about one game, is it. I find it dire to watch. I have done since last season. It’s becoming a struggle to switch on our games.

Of course it’s not our low point. We’ve all seen so much worse from City. I’m only 30, so I have been spoilt for near enough my whole adult life with exciting, winning football. The past year/18 months is a long way from what we’ve become used to since the start of the decade.

There is no fight in this team. Maybe it will turn around yet. I just have no reasons to believe it will for the foreseeable.

I guess it's pretty evident how bad we are but the worse thing is we are emulating some of the worst PL teams that we always made fun of.
There is that Wenger's arsenal look where we have a non existent defence and a very sloppy attack. The manager's fav players keep on playing without any results and the manager gets an contract extension without any consequences because we owe him so much. And the manager refuses to change anything.
And then there's the Rag's look where despite having a billion worth of purchases in the team we look at shots on goal and keep content despite having spent millions at each position. Continue this and we would be losing 1-0 to West Brom well because we won't have VAR to save us and a Bruno Fernandes to dive at each touch.

I did called out Pep's tactics as obsolete before his contract extension but the old school fan in me was extremely euphoric when his extension was announced as this will give stability to the team. But after this performance I come back to the point where Pep needs to get the house in order fast and for god's sake earn that god damn contract.

Messi has been a great player but certainly not what we need now, we need a long term replacement for Sergio which we should have already got
Personally think the Messi signing pays for itself in commercial benefits x 3. We are suddenly a "must buy/must see" for all broadcasters and fans.

On the playing front, we unfortunately have more than one passenger out on the pitch at the moment. One of them can surely be someone as technically gifted as Messi? At least we'll score our pens for a change! ;-)

But if we think teams park the bus now... think about if we have Messi!!!
Ah basically I just want Messi and Haaland at our club.

I don't think we will make the top 4 this season.
Be a lot of games like that we end up losing.
Peps stalling contract situation before he committed is a lot to blame.
Worst still we have become boring to watch at times.

Pep needs to start thinking outside the box a little more, it was obvious from the first minute that spurs were going to play the classic 10 behind the ball, park the bus and catch us on the break game, so why engage with them and let them dictate the style of play ? If we had held off and kept the ball and not attacked and literally stayed in our half then yes it's a boring spectacle, but some times you have to fight fire with fire, we need to break this negative approach to how teams set up against us, it's stupid just going gung ho up against a brick wall defence if we don't have the tactics to beat it. If we didn't try and play football against these style of teams and basically call there style of football out, then very soon they would be forced to change tactics against us. Can you imagine if for a couple of games against bus parkers we didn't even try and get on the bus! kill the spectacle as a game of football for the cameras and see how long Sky and BT call bus parking a masterclass in defending .

Our defence is still one of the best in the prem

it’s the other end of the pitch where our troubles lie.

I can’t put my finger on it because we have so much attacking talent but not only are we missing big chances we’re also creating far less big chances.

Our defensive stats are one of the best in the league because we have so much of the ball. fuck stats, all you have to do is open your eyes and watch the game.

65% possession away from home but that isn`t winning us games,

Peps system has been rumbled big time. We can`t keep doing the same things and expect a different outcome.

Our defensive stats are one of the best in the league because we have so much of the ball. fuck stats, all you have to do is open your eyes and watch the game.

65% possession away from home but that isn`t winning us games,

Peps system has been rumbled big time. We can keep doing the same things and expect a different outcome.
Yup, completely agree.
We are just so predictable every week...

I don't think we will make the top 4 this season.
Be a lot of games like that we end up losing.
Peps stalling contract situation before he committed is a lot to blame.
Worst still we have become boring to watch at times.

I dont think it has anything to do wit contract or Pep`s commitment. This has everything to do with systems and ours needs altering, what was truly one of the best systems ever has been been found out.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.