Spurs (A) | Post-Match Thread

Lineup today wasn’t ideal. Mendy once again looked like a liability out there defensively. I’ve felt like this for a long time but I think Son is possibly the most underrated player in the PL and that guy is a City killer. I’ve often wondered if he actually wouldn’t be a better fit for City’s style of play. He’s such a skilled player and much more durable than Kane. City could also get him for a fraction of the cost of Kane. I know they’re different players. Kane is a great finisher but Son isn’t too shabby.

Didn't prevent other teams from looking solid under the same circumstances. Our fitness is always an issue it seems.
We had the best defensive record last year, Rodri played a big part in that. We don’t concede enough goals, if any, due entirely to Rodri’s lack of pace to warrant getting a less able but more mobile DM in.

I see many criticising the defence, and they might be right, but our front 5 ( Mahrez, Ferran, Sterling, Grealish & Gundogan ) couldn't create chances like the front 3 of Spurs ( Lucas, Bergwin & Son )

Specially our front 3 ( Mahrez,Ferran & Sterling ) when they got the ball, no need to stand from your seat because you know there is 90% chance that they will create nothing.

Suicide by three or four players, not helped by another display of arrogance which soon became another act of self harm by the man in the dugout. Leaving Mendy on the field for 80 minutes was frankly insane, especially next to Ake who was barely any better.
What really pissed me off is that not only did we mentally wilt after going a goal down but that we allowed Spurs of all teams to bully us physically
Very true, Mavis Riley Fc, They really wanted it and we just kind of Meh whatever

We had the best defensive record last year, Rodri played a big part in that. We don’t concede enough goals, if any, due entirely to Rodri’s lack of pace to warrant getting a less able but more mobile DM in.
No ruben+stones played a big part in that. Fern was doing what rodri could not even at 36...we've clearly needed athleticism in the holding role for a long time.

No replay on Sky of the foul on Grealish,in the box outside the box rags would have had a pen 100%
Lee Dixon said he did get shoved in the back but not enough to go down and definitely not a pen. A Villa shirt-wearing Grealish and the Boyhood Blue would be screeching Pen all day long

We do in games against the best teams. They target his tragically slow feet and his frankly laughable lack of recovery pace. The Word is out around Europe on him. Good player but wrong player in the wrong league

With Sterling and Mahrez in wide areas, we are lightweight. Throw Torres in the middle, still lightweight. Throw in a half fit Grealish and a half fit KDB, with Cancelo and Mendy out wide and we look ripe for the picking.

For me, we lack physicality, and our “fast breaks” often end up without a shot on goal, let alone a goal!

At times, we look like world beaters. At others, we look like the world could beat us!

Pep needs to work with the team, not to stiffen up our spine, but to strengthen us down the flanks. We are a soft touch down the flanks and through the channels, and I think the good coaches combine attacking us in those areas with getting in our face and trying hard not to give us time on the ball.

Against Spurs, we had 2/3 possession, more shots, more corners. In short, domination of the ball, even in attacking positions. The problems are:

1) We don’t do enough with it.
2) Others do more with less.
3) We lack fight, and with full stadiums, watching your team fight us gives them a 12th man.

From the Brentford & Spurs games alone, we can see what the game has been missing. Sadly, I think we will continue to miss it…even this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.