Spurs lose the 2012 Stadium to West Ham

I think this is terrible news for West Ham fans. Playing in a half empty stadium every week with a running truck is not exactly something I'd like to go to for atmosphere. I think it would have made more sense to give it to Spurs, but I'm very happy they didn't get it.

marco said:
dont know about the finacial stucture of the deal 'if any' but i'd imagine the land value of upton park would be quite high, maine road was valued at 93 million i'm pretty sure thats correct if anyone cold quote me on that, do west ham have to turn upton park over to the council or can they sell the land off to make a tidy profit

I really have no idea wher you got this information from about Maine Road. However, it's simply wrong.

Maine Road was valued at GBP 27 million in the deal for us to go to Eastlands, which was the value ascribed to it in City's accounts. The partner of a Manchester accounting firm who reviewed the accounts every year for the King of the Kippax fanzine called it, "the most dubious accounting valuation I've ever seen", and the site value was more like GBP 4 million. (This is why hostile questions were asked in Parliament about City's move to the Commonwealth Stadium).

It's been reported that West Ham have agreed a provisional sale of the Boleyn Ground to Asda for around GBP 35 million. I remember reading somewhere that, three or four years back, it was valued at GBP 70 million-ish for residential development but that market is moribund now and you'd struggle to find a taker to build houses on it. West Ham can't, unfortunately, wait for the market to pick up (and the price therefore to rise) because they need the cash now to finance the conversion of the Olympic Stadium.

West Ham have proposed to finance their revamp of the Olympic facility with the money they get from the Boleyn plus GBP 35 million of lottery cash earmaked for the post-Olympic conversion (whoever gets the site) and a loan of up to GBP 40 million from the London Borough of Newham. Sullivan and Gold are rumoured to have given personal guarantees to satisfy the OPLC that West Ham won't default on any loan repayments to Newham, for example if the club is relegated.

Of course, even assuming the BBC's report is true, the decision to go with the West Ham bid still has to be ratified by the OPLC as whole, so it isn't in the bag yet for West Ham. But the wider OPLC would seem likely to accept this recommendation from its executives and then the decision will have to be ratified by, I think, Boris Johnson (Mayor of London) and Jeremy Hunt (Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport).

Theyre politicians, of course. And realistically, they'd therefore be unlikely to overturn any OPLC decision backing West Ham in favour of an option that's highly unpopular with the public according to polls (as the Spurs bid is). That isn't how politicians usually operate, after all.

Anyway, from City's narrow self-interest, I'd be pleased if it pans out in this way. Spurs in a state-of-the-art stadium on a site with those transport links and in bed with a partner like AEG could become a huge threat to us if - as we all hope - we have great things ahead under the current ownership. They would have the potential to be one of Europe's biggest clubs. I see the guy above saying that we'll prosper anyway and that the more strength in the PL, the better. Unfortunately, we're not yet at the point where we've cracked it in terms of being entrenched as regular toprhy contenders so I'm afraid I can't embrace such magnanimity right now.

West Ham, however, are less likely to be an immediate threat to us even in the new stadium. Historically the support base is a little smaller than Spurs's, they start from a lower base in terms of their current playing strength, and you have to question whether the new venue they plan would be as exciting for a football club as the stadium Spurs would have built.

I like the Hammers, and of all the London clubs, their ethos is closest to City's traditional ethos. There's lots about them to admire. But I have fears for them playing in an athletics stadium. It isn't a coincidence that, all across Europe, teams are desperate to get out of venues with a track, and the atmosphere and spirit of the club (always a great strength of theirs) could be severely compromised. Despite these misgivings, I hope they manage to find a way to make it work, though.

As for Leyton Orient - I reckon Hearn is positioning them for a move away into Essex. It's already been rumoured over the last year or two, and he's transferred ownership of Brisbane Road to himself in return for writing off loans he's made to the club over the years. Go to a new council-funded community stadium in somewhere like Romford/Havering, which currently lacks a significant football club even at non-league level, and he can then sell Brisbane Road for his personal gain as soon as the housing market picks up. But he gets to blame it on the OPLC for allowing West Ham into their catchment area.

Incidentally, one guy asked why Hearn says he'd prefer Spurs to get it rather than West Ham. The reason is that he reckons Spurs could fill it already from their existing fan base, whereas West Ham will be dishing out cheap tickets among schoolkids in areas where Orient are doing community work and attempting to pick up fans. They'll therefore lose support to West Ham, but wouldn't to Spurs.

Jackson-ctid said:
fucking stupid tbh, why give a state of the art 80,000 seater stadium to a mediocre team

That could have been levelled at MCFC a decade ago!

But I do like the suggestion from the Tottenham MP that if Spuds went to the new stadium they should leave the name Tottenham behind where it belongs. Would have to call themselves Stratford Hotspurs - got a Conference ring about it!

Sullivan and Gold are looking at the perfect scenario really.

They bought their boyhood team for a fraction of its potential worth, have trashed the cost base, have seemingly found a modern stadium with cheap finance terms to make it work for football - and all of that with the trifling matter of a few personal loan guarantees.

Weigh that up against what West Ham will be worth in such a new stadium, in the PL (which they will be at some point even if they get relegated) and with a wage bill of about 50% what it was before they bought in.

These guys are looking at a massive profit at some point.

HarrowInnHammer said:
Exactly that mate, I know plenty that will jack it in, no way will we fill 60000 either the ground will be more like the Emirates with plenty of corporate suits on a jolly up. Gold and Sullivan have not asked the fans if they want the move once which is very disrespectful. This will never be home, we won't even be the sole tenants with plenty of other events taking place. RIP west ham I feel

I disagree. This will make West Ham. The Boleyn, will be sold and you will pocket a wedge from that and you will have cheaper tickets at the OS and I reckon you're average gate will be 50,000. In time, you will attract a serious owner, rather than the bongo twins and all the while the true state of the spuds finances will become clear.

Exactly how desperate are Spurs to get this stadium?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ol...tadium-defeat-West-Ham.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I have been saying for months that without it their plans for the next 10 years at least are in tatters.

Not only are they likely to lose CL revenues but they simply cannot afford to build a new stadium and increase revenues.

There is also talk of Spurs being sold to AEG once the deal is done.

fbloke said:
Exactly how desperate are Spurs to get this stadium?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ol...tadium-defeat-West-Ham.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I have been saying for months that without it their plans for the next 10 years at least are in tatters.

Not only are they likely to lose CL revenues but they simply cannot afford to build a new stadium and increase revenues.

There is also talk of Spurs being sold to AEG once the deal is done.

Spurs must be in the shit financially. That's why their board is desperate to move despite their fans not wanting or even being consulted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.