Spurs thread 2014-2015

You have to wonder whether Joe Lewis saw this new Sky/BT deal as being inevitable one day? There's no better explanation I can see for why he bought and kept a club that he shows little or no interest in. You could say the same about Mansour, and that is capable of being debated, but even if that was the case there's still a discernible game plan with our owners. Just wondered whether he's sat on this investment, doing very little in terms of funding the club and its expansion, hoping it brings in some serious capital return down the line.

He's a hugely clever man and doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.

Pezzer2 said:
Stevenage is in Herts as well

Stevenage was a huge overspill town for cockneys. I use the term cockneys in its correct form too. My cousins ex mrs and all her family were from Hackney before they got shifted to Stevenage. She was born within the sound of Bow Bells, so she can officially call herself a cockney. She never does, she's usually too busy calling me a bastard(In a friendly cockernee type way).

gordondaviesmoustache said:
You have to wonder whether Joe Lewis saw this new Sky/BT deal as being inevitable one day? There's no better explanation I can see for why he bought and kept a club that he shows little or no interest in. You could say the same about Mansour, and that is capable of being debated, but even if that was the case there's still a discernible game plan with our owners. Just wondered whether he's sat on this investment, doing very little in terms of funding the club and its expansion, hoping it brings in some serious capital return down the line.

I believe the new TV rights are just the tip of the iceberg. Much more money will be earned by clubs from TV and eventually branching out to PPV and some form of official live streaming, possibly on a PPV basis available to those outside of England.

Lewis is as responsible for Black Wednesday as George Soros. He apparently does not even like football, so I doubt he regards Spurs as anything but an investment. He's a cold blooded businessman. Reading about some his dealings in property, along with Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley he, let's say, pushes the boundaries of the law.

As for him being intelligent, he certainly appears so but it didn't stop him making a huge mistake over Bear Sterns. He sounds like a fascinating character, although that may be partly due to the fact that he refuses to be interviewed.

Pezzer2 said:
Stevenage is in Herts as well

Barnet FC, in some respects. It has a postal address of Herts although it is in Greater London.

I now live in Barnet, having been in London 12 years. I can hardly criticise OOT support. I am bringing up my 5 year old to be a Blue so I guess she will be branded as a glory hunter. However, I could not even consider allowing her to support Spurs or Arsenal. I simply wouldn't allow it. I guess many of those ex Londoners who now live in Herts and Essex have the same attitude in relation to the clubs they support.

To be honest, I have often found the most odious fans to be OOT supporters, particularly Rags, Spurs and Arsenal fans. Not sure if that is a coincidence or not. I have a theory out of towners are more defensive and try too hard to appear to be a genuine fan. Or maybe I am talking bollocks.

Manc in London said:

I believe the new TV rights are just the tip of the iceberg. Much more money will be earned by clubs from TV and eventually branching out to PPV and some form of official live streaming, possibly on a PPV basis available to those outside of England.

Lewis is as responsible for Black Wednesday as George Soros. He apparently does not even like football, so I doubt he regards Spurs as anything but an investment. He's a cold blooded businessman. Reading about some his dealings in property, along with Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley he, let's say, pushes the boundaries of the law.

As for him being intelligent, he certainly appears so but it didn't stop him making a huge mistake over Bear Sterns. He sounds like a fascinating character, although that may be partly due to the fact that he refuses to be interviewed.

I remember him losing a massive sum with Bear Sterns wasn't it around 1.5 billion?. People always used to say about Spurs need a rich owner but he's still one of the richest in the game. I think I've only ever seen him next to Levy once, definitely not very hands on

Crouchinho said:
Manc in London said:

I remember him losing a massive sum with Bear Sterns wasn't it around 1.5 billion?. People always used to say about Spurs need a rich owner but he's still one of the richest in the game. I think I've only ever seen him next to Levy once, definitely not very hands on

Just to point put, the last paragraph was not aimed at you.

I believe the rumours were that he lost hundreds of millions but I don't know exacrly how much. He's very ric. He's also a very rich man who pays little tax.

Be interesting to find out how much he has invested in Spurs and in what form it has taken. From the little I do know about Spurs finances, he hasn't pumped in money as a benfactor would have done. Rather he appears to hoover up any shares made available through a rights issue.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
I'm not from London but how is Essex classed as London ?. It's like saying Bolton, stockport or Salford are manchester when they aren't.

It's worth pointing out that Tottenham itself wasn't officially part of London until 1965. It was in Middlesex.
Spurs fans argue that Arsenal aren't a North London club having originated south of the river.
Arsenal fans argue Spurs aren't even a proper London club having not been part of the (pre 1965) County of London.
Spurs fans retort that they've always had a London post code (similar to the United and Manchester argument).
The bottom line is that Spurs play further out from central London and have a more suburban support that stretches
into the Home Counties. Most of North London supports Arsenal.

BlueTG said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
one thing spurs have proven is that you dont need to spend millions on expensive foreign players. Young players can be just as good if not better. There is also a real connection between fans and the players now.
Lloris, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Soldado, Adebayor, Dembele, Erikssen, Lalema, Chadli, Vorm, Paulinho, Fazio? Even Bentaleb was signed at 18 so hardly counts. I don't think Townsend, half a season Kane, Rose, a garbage Kyle walker and a few appearances in Dier prove much at all.

Bentaleb was clubless when Spurs signed him aged 17. He played for Spurs' U18's and U21's for two years before breaking into the first team. So, in terms of not spending "millions on expensive foreign players", he certainly counts!

And of course no one should get carried away with how good these young Spurs players are. They've achieved nothing yet. The hype surrounding Harry Kane, in particular, is way over the top (though that's not his fault). But the young players' emergence this season does at least make a refreshing change from the disappointing performances served up by many of the expensive signings over the past season or so.

Crouchinho said:
He was loaned out a few times and I remember Norwich fans not liking him, I think he got a bad injury so they didn't see enough of him. I know Millwall fans loved him and Leicester quite liked him. AVB didn't trust him I don't think but Ponch really has to take the credit by giving him a chance. He didn't rush him in the domestic game as he was trying him out in the Europa more than anything. He scored for fun in the youth, mind you so did Obika and Barnard and I don't know where they are these days!

Tim Sherwood will probably take some credit too as he was always with the reserves. I think he regrets not wanting to be part of that again

As I recall, Leicester fans thought he was a waste of space. They would rather have played with ten men than have Kane on the pitch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.