Spurs thread 2014-2015

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
I'm not from London but how is Essex classed as London ?. It's like saying Bolton, stockport or Salford are manchester when they aren't.

It's worth pointing out that Tottenham itself wasn't officially part of London until 1965. It was in Middlesex.
Spurs fans argue that Arsenal aren't a North London club having originated south of the river.
Arsenal fans argue Spurs aren't even a proper London club having not been part of the (pre 1965) County of London.
Spurs fans retort that they've always had a London post code (similar to the United and Manchester argument).
The bottom line is that Spurs play further out from central London and have a more suburban support that stretches
into the Home Counties. Most of North London supports Arsenal.

It's not that cut and dried.

I'd say it's very much an age thing. If you were to judge it purely by the numbers of kids you see wearing shirts, then Arsenal would romp it. Clearly, over the past 20-25 years, they've attracted far more floating fans than Spurs have.

But over the age of 30-35, I reckon that Spurs probably edge it. You won't see it, though, because most middle aged (or older) men and women don't wear football shirts on a day to day basis. Thankfully.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
You have to wonder whether Joe Lewis saw this new Sky/BT deal as being inevitable one day? There's no better explanation I can see for why he bought and kept a club that he shows little or no interest in. You could say the same about Mansour, and that is capable of being debated, but even if that was the case there's still a discernible game plan with our owners. Just wondered whether he's sat on this investment, doing very little in terms of funding the club and its expansion, hoping it brings in some serious capital return down the line.

He's a hugely clever man and doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.

There is very much a discernible game plan for Lewis. And always has been.

As you say, he has no day to day involvement in the running of the club and, publicly at least, shows no apparent interest. But he will have regularly discussed the club with his protege, Daniel Levy.

Bit by bit, they have gradually increased their shareholding in the club. As of a year ago, they owned a little over 85% - having paid a total in the region of £100m for it. They have subsequently made a £40m loan to the club (to pay off debt accumulated as a consequence of property purchases for the new stadium development). That will be (or has been?) converted into equity. So the chances are that ENIC now owns (or will soon own) more than 90% of the club - having paid less than £150m for it.

The payoff will come when they sell. Media reports suggest that they want £1 billion. I'd say that that's just the media floundering for a headline making figure. But £600m might be a figure that ENIC would settle for - and get. Especially since, once the new stadium is built and the new TV deal kicks in, Spurs' annual income will be in the region of £300m.

In which case, ENIC would be looking at a return on investment of 300-400%. Very respectable.

Crouchinho said:
Manc in London said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
You have to wonder whether Joe Lewis saw this new Sky/BT deal as being inevitable one day? There's no better explanation I can see for why he bought and kept a club that he shows little or no interest in. You could say the same about Mansour, and that is capable of being debated, but even if that was the case there's still a discernible game plan with our owners. Just wondered whether he's sat on this investment, doing very little in terms of funding the club and its expansion, hoping it brings in some serious capital return down the line.

He's a hugely clever man and doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.

I believe the new TV rights are just the tip of the iceberg. Much more money will be earned by clubs from TV and eventually branching out to PPV and some form of official live streaming, possibly on a PPV basis available to those outside of England.

Lewis is as responsible for Black Wednesday as George Soros. He apparently does not even like football, so I doubt he regards Spurs as anything but an investment. He's a cold blooded businessman. Reading about some his dealings in property, along with Daniel Levy and Mike Ashley he, let's say, pushes the boundaries of the law.

As for him being intelligent, he certainly appears so but it didn't stop him making a huge mistake over Bear Sterns. He sounds like a fascinating character, although that may be partly due to the fact that he refuses to be interviewed.

I remember him losing a massive sum with Bear Sterns wasn't it around 1.5 billion?. People always used to say about Spurs need a rich owner but he's still one of the richest in the game. I think I've only ever seen him next to Levy once, definitely not very hands on

Not quite that much.

It was about £500m. Still quite a lot of money, though!

Manc in London said:
Be interesting to find out how much he has invested in Spurs and in what form it has taken. From the little I do know about Spurs finances, he hasn't pumped in money as a benfactor would have done. Rather he appears to hoover up any shares made available through a rights issue.

In terms of money put into the club - as opposed merely to buying existing shares off other shareholders - ENIC's total contribution over the past 14 years is about £66m from: a rights issue in 2004 to which they contributed about £11m; a share placement in 2009 to which they contributed £15m; and last year's £40m interest free loan that will be (or has been) converted into equity.

As you say, though, this investment has been dual purpose - while strengthening the club, it has also strengthened their own shareholding from an initial 29% to probably more than 90%.

From BBC Sportsday;

16:34
A High Court judge has ruled Tottenham Hotspur breached its duties to a 17-year-old player who suffered cardiac arrest in his first game for the club and was left brain damaged.
Radwan Hamed collapsed during the youth team game in Belgium in August 2006.
In a screening before he signed to the club, an ECG showed his heart to be "unequivocally abnormal" but he was not stopped from playing.
Damages, which could reach £7m, are to be decided next week.

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

aguero93:20 said:
From BBC Sportsday;

A High Court judge has ruled Tottenham Hotspur breached its duties to a 17-year-old player who suffered cardiac arrest in his first game for the club and was left brain damaged.
In a screening before he signed to the club, an ECG showed his heart to be "unequivocally abnormal" but he was not stopped from playing.

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

I've just had a look on glory glory to see what they're saying about it. Absolutely nothing.

From BBC Sportsday;

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

Quite the opposite. Levy will be very pleased that Hamed and his family will be getting the compensation that they deserve and need.

Ever since the heart attack, Spurs have been looking after Hamed and his family. It wasn't until 2012 that the family finally decided to make the malpractice claim. And now that the case has been concluded, they will no longer have to rely on the club's help. The insurance money (to be paid by the doctors' public liability insurers rather than the club's employer's liability insurers) will give them everything they need, and more, for the future.

JimB said:
From BBC Sportsday;

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

Quite the opposite. Levy will be very pleased that Hamed and his family will be getting the compensation that they deserve and need.

Ever since the heart attack, Spurs have been looking after Hamed and his family. It wasn't until 2012 that the family finally decided to make the malpractice claim. And now that the case has been concluded, they will no longer have to rely on the club's help. The insurance money (to be paid by the doctors' public liability insurers rather than the club's employer's liability insurers) will give them everything they need, and more, for the future.

lucky them!

117 M34 said:
JimB said:
From BBC Sportsday;

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

lucky them!

Well, hardly.

That wasn't the point of my post, as I'm sure you're aware!

JimB said:
From BBC Sportsday;

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

If so then fair dues to Spurs, that's great to hear. It was just a tongue in cheek comment about Levy being a tightarse, as I'm sure you're aware.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.