Spurs thread 2014-2015

aguero93:20 said:
JimB said:
From BBC Sportsday;

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

Quite the opposite. Levy will be very pleased that Hamed and his family will be getting the compensation that they deserve and need.

Ever since the heart attack, Spurs have been looking after Hamed and his family. It wasn't until 2012 that the family finally decided to make the malpractice claim. And now that the case has been concluded, they will no longer have to rely on the club's help. The insurance money (to be paid by the doctors' public liability insurers rather than the club's employer's liability insurers) will give them everything they need, and more, for the future.

If so then fair dues to Spurs, that's great to hear. It was just a tongue in cheek comment about Levy being a tightarse, as I'm sure you're aware.

Yes, of course.

I guess I'm just a little defensive about a story like this because it's so easy for the media to create a shit storm for a club on the basis of half truths and omissions!

JimB said:
JimB said:
Quite the opposite. Levy will be very pleased that Hamed and his family will be getting the compensation that they deserve and need.

Ever since the heart attack, Spurs have been looking after Hamed and his family. It wasn't until 2012 that the family finally decided to make the malpractice claim. And now that the case has been concluded, they will no longer have to rely on the club's help. The insurance money (to be paid by the doctors' public liability insurers rather than the club's employer's liability insurers) will give them everything they need, and more, for the future.

If so then fair dues to Spurs, that's great to hear. It was just a tongue in cheek comment about Levy being a tightarse, as I'm sure you're aware.

Yes, of course.

I guess I'm just a little defensive about a story like this because it's so easy for the media to create a shit storm for a club on the basis of half truths and omissions!

You're telling us Jim?! :D

JimB said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
You have to wonder whether Joe Lewis saw this new Sky/BT deal as being inevitable one day? There's no better explanation I can see for why he bought and kept a club that he shows little or no interest in. You could say the same about Mansour, and that is capable of being debated, but even if that was the case there's still a discernible game plan with our owners. Just wondered whether he's sat on this investment, doing very little in terms of funding the club and its expansion, hoping it brings in some serious capital return down the line.

He's a hugely clever man and doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.

There is very much a discernible game plan for Lewis. And always has been.

As you say, he has no day to day involvement in the running of the club and, publicly at least, shows no apparent interest. But he will have regularly discussed the club with his protege, Daniel Levy.

Bit by bit, they have gradually increased their shareholding in the club. As of a year ago, they owned a little over 85% - having paid a total in the region of £100m for it. They have subsequently made a £40m loan to the club (to pay off debt accumulated as a consequence of property purchases for the new stadium development). That will be (or has been?) converted into equity. So the chances are that ENIC now owns (or will soon own) more than 90% of the club - having paid less than £150m for it.

The payoff will come when they sell. Media reports suggest that they want £1 billion. I'd say that that's just the media floundering for a headline making figure. But £600m might be a figure that ENIC would settle for - and get. Especially since, once the new stadium is built and the new TV deal kicks in, Spurs' annual income will be in the region of £300m.

In which case, ENIC would be looking at a return on investment of 300-400%. Very respectable.
One thing that's most conspicuously distinguished football clubs from other businesses has been the ongoing capital appreciation of leading clubs in spite of any discernible underlying profitability in many instances. Spurs fall somewhat outside this grouping, as they have always remained broadly profitable, but Lewis will have seen his asset increase in value well beyond any reasonable multiplier of its profitability in recent years. The latest TV deal is a game changer, I believe, as unlike recent deals the majority of the increased revenue won't find itself into the pockets of players and their advisors. On that basis Lewis has, by my reckoning, played an absolute blinder. For him I suspect, the thrill of turning an enormous profit far outweighs any pleasure he would derive from Spurs winning the Premier League or even the Champions League. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Levy fell into that grouping too. His business dealings are frequently far too small time for me to believe that the pursuit of footballing success is what gets him out of bed in the morning.

stony said:
From BBC Sportsday;

16:34
A High Court judge has ruled Tottenham Hotspur breached its duties to a 17-year-old player who suffered cardiac arrest in his first game for the club and was left brain damaged.
Radwan Hamed collapsed during the youth team game in Belgium in August 2006.
In a screening before he signed to the club, an ECG showed his heart to be "unequivocally abnormal" but he was not stopped from playing.
Damages, which could reach £7m, are to be decided next week.

Poor lad.
Levy won't be pleased.

I've just had a look on glory glory to see what they're saying about it. Absolutely nothing.

Haven't looked myself but that would be typical GG. They are more likely to post about our accounts, wages of our players and transfer dealings.

Honest question for Spurs fans on here. Any move yet on the rebuilt WHL, its my view that if they don't get started soon then its possible that West Ham United will be in the Olympic stadium and on their way to becoming a major player in the capitals football. Please don't tell me how big a club Spurs are, look no further than Chelsea to see what money can do. WHU will be looked on as a club worth investing in once they move to the new ground, Sullivan and Gold are not fools, plus don't forget Spurs were hoping to get the Olympic site.

Tottenham in High Court for new stadium fight against local business
Tottenham Hotspur are braced for a High Court battle, which starts on Tuesday, against a local business standing in the way of their proposed £400million redevelopment of White Hart Lane.
dailym.ai/1van6Xx
(sorry can't copy/paste, on mobile)

nowantads said:
Tottenham in High Court for new stadium fight against local business
Tottenham Hotspur are braced for a High Court battle, which starts on Tuesday, against a local business standing in the way of their proposed £400million redevelopment of White Hart Lane.
dailym.ai/1van6Xx
(sorry can't copy/paste, on mobile)

You can if you put the effort in ;)

Tottenham Hotspur in High Court as local business starts case against 'unlawful' purchase order that could block new 56,000-capacity stadium worth £400m
Tottenham locked in High Court battle against a local business
Archway Sheet Metal Works are blocking development of new stadium
Archway refuses to sell Spurs its land, which is next to White Hart Lane
The company is challenging a compulsory purchase order in court
Tottenham want to open a £400m, 56,000-capacity stadium by 2017
An unexplained fire ripped through Archway's property last November
CLICK HERE for all the latest Tottenham Hotspur news
By JOHN ASTON, PRESS ASSOCIATION
PUBLISHED: 10:29 GMT, 17 February 2015 | UPDATED: 16:09 GMT, 17 February 2015

A business standing in the way of Tottenham Hotspur’s £400 million stadium redevelopment has claimed at the High Court that an invalid compulsory purchase order is being used to force it out.
Archway Sheet Metal Works is asking a judge to quash the 'unlawful' order.
If the application succeeds it would be a major blow to controversial plans for the new 56,000 capacity stadium complex.
Last November, a mystery fire gutted the premises near the North Stand at Premier League club Tottenham’s White Hart Lane ground in north London.
Mr Justice Dove, who has revealed he is an Aston Villa fan, has been told by Archway lawyers that the police are currently 'investigating the cause of arson'.
The owners say they have received 'bomb threats'.
Josif Josif, 46, who runs the family business, said at the time of the fire: 'People were calling us and threatening us and we were receiving bomb threats and that started a few months ago, but we don’t know if that’s got anything to do with it.'
The firm describes itself as a 'wonderfully old-fashioned family business' producing metal items for the catering and hospitality industry.
The owners have been in a dispute with Spurs for the last decade over its redevelopment plans.
The club has planning permission for the new stadium it hopes to open for the 2018-19 season.
A Tottenham club spokesman said: 'We have already successfully and amicably relocated more than 70 businesses in the area to the satisfaction of all parties concerned and a number of these organisations continue to reside in the borough.
'Whilst we were able to accommodate all these other businesses’ requests, in the instance of Archway, we have been unable to reach agreement over the period of the last seven years.'
The club has planning permission for the new stadium it hopes to open for the 2018-19 season.
The London Borough of Haringey made the compulsory purchase order (CPO) in March 2012. It was confirmed by the Communities Secretary in July 2014 following a public inquiry.
As well as challenging the legality of the CPO itself, Archway says proposed new changes to the Spurs project have come to light which are so substantial that they 'alter the viability case made at the inquiry' and further undermine the order.
The new proposals involve 'massive intensification of the scheme' - making it substantially different from the project for which the CPO was obtained.
Christopher Lockhart-Mummery QC, appearing for Archway, is submitting to the judge that an application for disclosure of documents held by Tottenham Hotspur Ltd has revealed the extent of the changes.
The QC said in written submissions that Tottenham dismissed them as matters of 'minutiae' within 'a sea of detail' which was 'irrelevant'.
But in fact the Tottenham documents revealed discussions had taken place involving an updated design of the Spurs stadium and increasing its capacity by 5,000.

Other potential improvements included an increase in residential development, incorporating 900 units in five blocks, plus 60,000 square feet of commercial development space and a medical centre and a 30,000 square feet gym and fitness centre.
Mr Lockhart-Mummery says the proposals reveal the scheme is now potentially on 'a substantially different scale', raising substantial new issues as to its viability.
Discussion of the new proposals, says the QC, have taken place between Haringey Council and Tottenham Hotspur Ltd and representatives 'at high levels of Government', including UK Trade and Investment and HM Treasury, as well as the Greater London Authority (GLA) and Transport for London.

JimB said:
You have to wonder whether Joe Lewis saw this new Sky/BT deal as being inevitable one day? There's no better explanation I can see for why he bought and kept a club that he shows little or no interest in. You could say the same about Mansour, and that is capable of being debated, but even if that was the case there's still a discernible game plan with our owners. Just wondered whether he's sat on this investment, doing very little in terms of funding the club and its expansion, hoping it brings in some serious capital return down the line.

He's a hugely clever man and doesn't strike me as the sentimental type.

As you say, he has no day to day involvement in the running of the club and, publicly at least, shows no apparent interest. But he will have regularly discussed the club with his protege, Daniel Levy.

Bit by bit, they have gradually increased their shareholding in the club. As of a year ago, they owned a little over 85% - having paid a total in the region of £100m for it. They have subsequently made a £40m loan to the club (to pay off debt accumulated as a consequence of property purchases for the new stadium development). That will be (or has been?) converted into equity. So the chances are that ENIC now owns (or will soon own) more than 90% of the club - having paid less than £150m for it.

The payoff will come when they sell. Media reports suggest that they want £1 billion. I'd say that that's just the media floundering for a headline making figure. But £600m might be a figure that ENIC would settle for - and get. Especially since, once the new stadium is built and the new TV deal kicks in, Spurs' annual income will be in the region of £300m.

In which case, ENIC would be looking at a return on investment of 300-400%. Very respectable.
One thing that's most conspicuously distinguished football clubs from other businesses has been the ongoing capital appreciation of leading clubs in spite of any discernible underlying profitability in many instances. Spurs fall somewhat outside this grouping, as they have always remained broadly profitable, but Lewis will have seen his asset increase in value well beyond any reasonable multiplier of its profitability in recent years. The latest TV deal is a game changer, I believe, as unlike recent deals the majority of the increased revenue won't find itself into the pockets of players and their advisors. On that basis Lewis has, by my reckoning, played an absolute blinder. For him I suspect, the thrill of turning an enormous profit far outweighs any pleasure he would derive from Spurs winning the Premier League or even the Champions League. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Levy fell into that grouping too. His business dealings are frequently far too small time for me to believe that the pursuit of footballing success is what gets him out of bed in the morning.

Stop using big words. I'm stoned and don't know what you are talking about.

Kun Aguero said:
JimB said:

'E sed: "It's mad, football clubs don't make any money but still this Lewis geeza is about to make a mint selling spurs for loads loads more than e bought em for".

Kun Aguero said:

'E sed: "It's mad, football clubs don't make any money but still this Lewis geeza is about to make a mint selling spurs for loads loads more than e bought em for".

Cheers mate, I don't like these upper class educated types on here, football fans drink cheap industrial, eat cold sausage rolls and snort mkat not use big words and drink champagne and eat fucking lobster.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.