Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to cap it off... the club's just announced Jimmy Greaves is in hospital because of Covid19

All the best, Jimmy. I remember as a small boy watching "film of today's football" on ITV's national news on a Saturday, which was often highlights of Chelsea's sensational young goalscorer, but it wasn't until he came back from Italy that I was able to see him in the flesh at Maine Road. By then he played for Spurs, who had become the first team to win the double in the 20th century (the season before he joined them?). We played them on the Saturday before they played Benfica in the semi-final (second leg?) and we hammered them 6-2. John Benson played a blinder and Jimmy (the penalty area pickpocket) hardly got a kick). And when I saw him at Maine Road in the future it seemed to coincide with some stellar performances from City, like the ballet on ice. One exception, however was his debut for West Ham, against City, when he scored a hatrick in a 5-1 win on a pitch under about 3 inches of water! His best for us was only to be seen on Match of the Day, but it was well worth waiting for. The only regret was that Alf won the world cup without you in the team. That's not a criticism of anyone, but it did represent the triumph of graft over craft. Get well, Jimmy, it was always a pleasure to watch you. You were a truly great player and a truly good man.

So one of their greatest ever players is currently in hospital fighting this horrible virus, while at the same time Levy appears to be getting his priorities right - I genuinely thought this was a piss take when I first heard about it because even by Levy’s standards this would be a low blow:

Is mowing Levy’s lawn classed as “essential work”?

Is it just that though bud ?
Working/maintaining an estate encompasses more that just horticultural duties, I'm sure 'ground staff' would include all sorts of maintenance work (actually, I know it does), and as the article says, " as the club attempt to keep employees in work", I'll call him out when I think it's right, and I'd be first in the queue, but if his intentions are honourable, then he gets a pass on this one for me, be interesting to see what said ground staff have to say about it.

Is mowing Levy’s lawn classed as “essential work”?

Oh, come on!

Please try to think carefully why Levy might be doing this. Just to show the world how extravagant he can be with his vast wealth when he's not counting it, perhaps? How selfish he can be if he really puts his mind to it? To deliver a big fuck off to all the staff he furloughed? Or a big fuck off to those others still employed but currently receiving only 80% of their normal wage?

Or perhaps this shows that he's scandalously taking advantage of the coronavirus crisis to enrich himself? Corrupt opportunism or opportunist corruption - take your pick. He must be Spectre, Dr Evil and Mini-Me all rolled into one.....

Or perhaps, perhaps.........it could just be that, despite the fact that he has absolutely no need to employ any of the ground staff to work at his home and even less desire to waste money doing so, he is employing them because he can take on the payment of their wages for the time being rather than the club or the government having to do so.

You think?

Oh, come on!

Please try to think carefully why Levy might be doing this. Just to show the world how extravagant he can be with his vast wealth when he's not counting it, perhaps? How selfish he can be if he really puts his mind to it? To deliver a big fuck off to all the staff he furloughed? Or a big fuck off to those others still employed but currently receiving only 80% of their normal wage?

Or perhaps this shows that he's scandalously taking advantage of the coronavirus crisis to enrich himself? Corrupt opportunism or opportunist corruption - take your pick. He must be Spectre, Dr Evil and Mini-Me all rolled into one.....

Or perhaps, perhaps.........it could just be that, despite the fact that he has absolutely no need to employ any of the ground staff to work at his home and even less desire to waste money doing so, he is employing them because he can take on the payment of their wages for the time being rather than the club or the government having to do so.

You think?

I dunno Jim - you tell me. You know him better than I do ;)

Either way, even his intentions are good I don't see how doing any work on his estate can be classed as essential. Why put anyone at unnecessary risk of catching this virus? The club should just accept that non-furloughed staff get paid their full wages even if it means them being sat at home doing fuck-all while all this is going on. That's what most other high profile clubs are doing - they're sucking up the cost of their staff not being in a position to do any work. Maybe Joe Lewis should dip his hand in his pocket for once in his life to help fund those wages, and maybe that's what he should've done for all the furloughed staff. And it's not just Spurs - multi-billionaire owners of all football clubs really have no excuse not to help their staff.

Is it just that though bud ?
Working/maintaining an estate encompasses more that just horticultural duties, I'm sure 'ground staff' would include all sorts of maintenance work (actually, I know it does), and as the article says, " as the club attempt to keep employees in work", I'll call him out when I think it's right, and I'd be first in the queue, but if his intentions are honourable, then he gets a pass on this one for me, be interesting to see what said ground staff have to say about it.

Joe Lewis could keep them all in work by dipping into his vast fortune mate. A couple of million quid to him is equivalent to about 50p to you and I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.