Stadium Expansion

I do love so of the definitive statements from posters based on their own prejudices and suppositions.

For anyone doubting the need to expand.

I am pretty sure the club have all the numbers and have crunched them a few times to see what sort of attendances they can achieve.

You also need to accept that you (and I) dont know what will drive that desire to expand but I reckon it wont be based on a League Cup game v Colchester in 2015. There will be games in the coming years such as semi-final matches against United in the CL that will need a much larger stadium.

Also for the club owned by one of the richest families in the world to have a stadium so limited in size and scope is unthinkable in the long term. I would say an 80,000 capacity is the end point.

For people saying that there wont be any cheap seats included.

You are basing that on what? The club already do one of the cheapest ST in the league and I am confident that they will expand on that once they have an option. That said the reason for expansion is surely more about getting corporate bums on seats increasing revenues massively.

For people waiting for a standing section.

I cant see that happening as there is no allowance for that in law, in England so any plans will be for all seater. You wont see a real debate on a change to the law on standing until the Hillsbrough issues are finally closed and that will be years from now.

If we follow the German model then we can definately sell upwards of 55000 for the vast majority of games.

These are the top ten bundesliga clubs average attendances-

Dortmund 80,000
Bayern 71,000
Schalke 60,000
Hamburg 55,000
Stuttgart 49,000
Munchengladbach 49,000
Frankfurt 46,000
Hannover 45,000
Nurnberg 43,000
Fortuna Dusseldorf 42,000

Hardly roll off the tongue some of those clubs,if we get the pricing policy right we can easily get 55-60 thousand.Lets just hope our owners have a look what German clubs charge there fans to attend matches.

We could be the setting the trend in the premiership going down this route,its what fans spend whilst at the ground where the money is.Yes its great increasing the corporate side of things but its the grass root fans that make it a spectacle,the atmosphere would increase greatly with more local fans encouraged to follow there team with a good pricing policy.

why is standing deemed unsafe??? it was the fencing that caused the deaths at hillsborough not the standing.

cleavers said:
Day trippers buy merchandise, food, drink, and a programme, because its all souvenir of the "matchday experience". The regular fan eats and drinks outside the ground, arrives 10 minutes before kick off, and rarely goes in the shop.
How do you explain the mile long queues inside the concourse before the game and at half time? Surely not all of them are day trippers.

The club have already said they are looking at expansion, so it WILL happen. Personally I just think they're prioritising the Academy developments before any major expansion of the Etihad.

Over the years City's fan base has reduced in Manchester because Of United's success and our total lack of success. Now this has started to change, because Its natural for kids to follow the winning team. The number of blue shirts in my kids school alone has been astonishing over the last few years.

Even if City can't fill a 60-70000 capacity stadium week in week out we need to be able to attract young support. We already have an excellent pricing structure for kids and reaping the benefits of that in my opinion. As we're filling the ground for the bread and butter of the premier league, this is where we need to be able to address not random Carling Cup and FA Cup games.

u2fme2 said:
unless they drop prices at the same time as they expand
there just not the demand for an extra 13.000 seats

Some people argue that you shouldn't expand as there isn't the demand that would have the sold out signs up for every game. Why should the ground be full for every game to justify expansion? There will be sufficient demand for most league games to be sell outs and should we be lucky enough to reach the latter rounds of the big cup competitions, then the capacity will be there for the demand. Very few clubs across Europe sell out every game, especially when it comes to cup competitions, with the additional costs that they bring to the fans.

stonie said:
Pound to a penny it will not be expanded...
You are wrong.<br /><br />-- Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 am --<br /><br />
fbloke said:
I cant see that happening as there is no allowance for that in law, in England so any plans will be for all seater. You wont see a real debate on a change to the law on standing until the Hillsbrough issues are finally closed and that will be years from now.
For someone so learned, you are not correct here, unless you can point to the law you speak of.

SWP's back said:
stonie said:
You are wrong.

-- Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 am --

fbloke said:
For someone so learned, you are not correct here, unless you can point to the law you speak of.

Try the Football Spectators Act 1989. It was amended after Hillsborough

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
SWP's back said:
stonie said:
You are wrong.

fbloke said:

You shall have to be more specific.

SWP's back said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
SWP's back said:
You are wrong.

You shall have to be more specific.

Standing at football matches
Standard Note:
SN/HA/3937
Last updated:
23 January 2012
Author:
John Woodhouse
Section
Home Affairs
From August 1994, clubs in the Premiership and Championship have been required to provide all-seated accommodation. This followed Lord Justice Taylor’s report into the Hillsborough Disaster of April 1989.
In recent years there have been calls for the introduction of “safe standing” areas and in March 2011 the Football Supporters’ Federation launched a campaign, including an online petition, claiming that supporters should have the choice to stand. The petition has attracted nearly 14,000 signatures.
The Government has said that it will keep matters under review, but that there is no “compelling case” for a change to the current rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.