Standard Note:
SN/HA/3937
Last updated:
23 January 2012
Author:
John Woodhouse
Section
Home Affairs
From August 1994, clubs in the Premiership and Championship have been required to provide all-seated accommodation. This followed Lord Justice Taylor’s report into the Hillsborough Disaster of April 1989.
In recent years there have been calls for the introduction of “safe standing” areas and in March 2011 the Football Supporters’ Federation launched a campaign, including an online petition, claiming that supporters should have the choice to stand. The petition has attracted nearly 14,000 signatures.
The Government has said that it will keep matters under review, but that there is no “compelling case” for a change to the current rules.
That is very specific thanks.

Let's hope that Safe Standing gets pushed through now a few clubs are looking at it.

stonie said:
Pound to a penny it will not be expanded...

Are you betting on this because somebody has told you it's 'almost' physically impossible to expand or you've been let on a leak suggesting a new build is the preferred option?
I cannot see it any other way...the cat's been officially let out of the kit bag now....

SWP's back said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
SWP's back said:
You shall have to be more specific.

Standing at football matches
Standard Note:
SN/HA/3937
Last updated:
23 January 2012
Author:
John Woodhouse
Section
Home Affairs
From August 1994, clubs in the Premiership and Championship have been required to provide all-seated accommodation. This followed Lord Justice Taylor’s report into the Hillsborough Disaster of April 1989.
In recent years there have been calls for the introduction of “safe standing” areas and in March 2011 the Football Supporters’ Federation launched a campaign, including an online petition, claiming that supporters should have the choice to stand. The petition has attracted nearly 14,000 signatures.
The Government has said that it will keep matters under review, but that there is no “compelling case” for a change to the current rules.

Let's hope that Safe Standing gets pushed through now a few clubs are looking at it.

Interestingly, if you read my original post correctly I did not say that standing within an all seater stadium is illegal, as it is not.

I said that the provision of a standing section would not happen, which it wont whilst the law remains as it is.

I DO hope that helps SWP ;-)

SWP's back said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
SWP's back said:
You shall have to be more specific.

Standing at football matches
Standard Note:
SN/HA/3937
Last updated:
23 January 2012
Author:
John Woodhouse
Section
Home Affairs

No worries.I'd certainly go back to standing if it was available but somehow just can't see it happening in this country again.

Halfpenny said:
I notice the Sun has shamelessly lifted this story off here and called it an exclusive. Not linking to it, it's nothing new and I don't want to give them hits.

City plan to go large

MANCHESTER CITY are planning to boost the Etihad Stadium’s capacity from 48,000 to 60,000.

The Blues want their ground to be one of the best in the world and invited fans to listen to their ideas after Sunday’s victory over Spurs.

City hope to add 12,000 seats to tiers behind the North and South Stands.

More a headline than a story. Wonder if it made it to the hard copy? Does this give them the opportunity to say ''we reported it first'' when the plans go public?

fbloke said:
I do love so of the definitive statements from posters based on their own prejudices and suppositions.

For anyone doubting the need to expand.

I am pretty sure the club have all the numbers and have crunched them a few times to see what sort of attendances they can achieve.

You also need to accept that you (and I) dont know what will drive that desire to expand but I reckon it wont be based on a League Cup game v Colchester in 2015. There will be games in the coming years such as semi-final matches against United in the CL that will need a much larger stadium.

Also for the club owned by one of the richest families in the world to have a stadium so limited in size and scope is unthinkable in the long term. I would say an 80,000 capacity is the end point.

For people saying that there wont be any cheap seats included.

You are basing that on what? The club already do one of the cheapest ST in the league and I am confident that they will expand on that once they have an option. That said the reason for expansion is surely more about getting corporate bums on seats increasing revenues massively.

For people waiting for a standing section.

I cant see that happening as there is no allowance for that in law, in England so any plans will be for all seater. You wont see a real debate on a change to the law on standing until the Hillsbrough issues are finally closed and that will be years from now.

There is no national law on standing in stadiums, for evidence look at rock concerts etc. Just not allowed them in football for some reason? Don't see the difference to be fair, Salford Reds have a standing section!

Loukas said:
fbloke said:
I do love so of the definitive statements from posters based on their own prejudices and suppositions.

For anyone doubting the need to expand.

I am pretty sure the club have all the numbers and have crunched them a few times to see what sort of attendances they can achieve.

You also need to accept that you (and I) dont know what will drive that desire to expand but I reckon it wont be based on a League Cup game v Colchester in 2015. There will be games in the coming years such as semi-final matches against United in the CL that will need a much larger stadium.

Also for the club owned by one of the richest families in the world to have a stadium so limited in size and scope is unthinkable in the long term. I would say an 80,000 capacity is the end point.

For people saying that there wont be any cheap seats included.

You are basing that on what? The club already do one of the cheapest ST in the league and I am confident that they will expand on that once they have an option. That said the reason for expansion is surely more about getting corporate bums on seats increasing revenues massively.

For people waiting for a standing section.

I cant see that happening as there is no allowance for that in law, in England so any plans will be for all seater. You wont see a real debate on a change to the law on standing until the Hillsbrough issues are finally closed and that will be years from now.

There is no national law on standing in stadiums, for evidence look at rock concerts etc. it's a civil law from the FA. These are down to the clubs to abide by because they play in the top leagues. The FA could simply change this law fairly easily and offer clubs a CHOICE.

As I made clear to SWP a few posts ago I specifically and deliberately talk about the provision of a standing section, not about standing and clarify that by making the point that by law in the UK all PL grounds must be all seater.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.