Starting 11 next season

CaliforniaBlue said:
I stand by my assertion that he's not a brilliant dribbler because although there are plenty of examples of him performing brilliant dribbles, he also loses the ball and fails to get past defenders more often than not. If you put your head down and try to dribble every time you get the ball, it's going to work sometimes, but it doesn't mean you're a brilliant dribbler. Maybe 'inconsistent' is a better description.

I agree that he's fast over a couple of yards, but when was the last time he beat anyone by pushing it past them and running, a la Bale, Ronaldo, or Hazard? That's speed and Aguero doesn't have it (or at least he doesn't use it if he has).

I also stand by my comment that he rarely scores from outside the box. How many of his 17 goals were from outside the box last season? I haven't counted, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 3, and I think it's fair to call 3/17 rare.

Don't get me wrong, I like and rate Aguero highly, but he does have his weaknesses and his strengths like all players, and I feel that central striker plays much more to his strengths.

Give us the plenty of examples please.

Clowny said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
Why do so many people line up Aguero as basically an attacking mid or a winger? He's not a fantastic dribbler, isn't super fast over more than a couple of yards, rarely scores from far out, and his instinct is to go for goal rather than look to play someone else in. From my recollection, he scores most of his goals from well inside the box. When he plays he should be the main striker, always in or around the box where he can be most effective. He might be our best striker in the box, but he's surely not our best winger or attacking midfielder.

875.gif

What an utterly ridiculous post. You described Dzeko or any other number pure 9 and not Aguero. Aguero has to be the best dribbler in our team after Silva.

He doesn't score from outside the box? What about the goal on his debut, then against Fulham, Norwich, West Brom, Liverpool in the title winning season or the one against Liverpool the last season?

Ludicrous to suggest that he is merely a poacher.

He may well be the second best dribbler in our team after Silva, but that doesn't make him a brilliant dribbler. If you lose the ball half the time you try to dribble, I don't think you can call yourself a brilliant dribbler.

So that's 6 long range goals (and there may be one or two you missed) out of 47 goals for City. I'd say that's pretty rare.

Not that I suggested it, but what's so bad about being a goal poacher anyway? I didn't say he should sit on the six-yard line and look for tap-ins, I said he should be leading the line in a position to use his many great attributes to best effect. I'd probably get an argument if I said he didn't make a great cup of coffee...

Clowny said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
I stand by my assertion that he's not a brilliant dribbler because although there are plenty of examples of him performing brilliant dribbles, he also loses the ball and fails to get past defenders more often than not. If you put your head down and try to dribble every time you get the ball, it's going to work sometimes, but it doesn't mean you're a brilliant dribbler. Maybe 'inconsistent' is a better description.

I agree that he's fast over a couple of yards, but when was the last time he beat anyone by pushing it past them and running, a la Bale, Ronaldo, or Hazard? That's speed and Aguero doesn't have it (or at least he doesn't use it if he has).

I also stand by my comment that he rarely scores from outside the box. How many of his 17 goals were from outside the box last season? I haven't counted, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 3, and I think it's fair to call 3/17 rare.

Don't get me wrong, I like and rate Aguero highly, but he does have his weaknesses and his strengths like all players, and I feel that central striker plays much more to his strengths.

kun posted some videos on page 13. If you want more, you can probably find them on Youtube.

CaliforniaBlue said:
kun said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
Why do so many people line up Aguero as basically an attacking mid or a winger? He's not a fantastic dribbler, isn't super fast over more than a couple of yards, rarely scores from far out, and his instinct is to go for goal rather than look to play someone else in. From my recollection, he scores most of his goals from well inside the box. When he plays he should be the main striker, always in or around the box where he can be most effective. He might be our best striker in the box, but he's surely not our best winger or attacking midfielder.
He is one of the best dribblers around, he is very quick and often scores from distance. I don't know who you watch?
How many of these aren't either brilliant dribbles, long rangers or goals that show off his pace?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IedNYRTQ-Ss[/youtube]

More dribbling:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07PVcwORyg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLw5ihPZTZk[/youtube]

Dribbling was considered his greatest strength when he joined from Atleti, and maybe he has been slightly more inconsistent since being at city, but there are still many examples of his dribbling ability.

He does have pace, and lots of it, but he isn't as fast as Bale or Ronaldo. Hazard doesn't have THAT much pace, he uses skill to get past people and change of speed, very similarly to Aguero.

He actually only scored 1 from outside the box last season (Liverpool).
But that isn't due to the fact he can't score from outside (he showed that he can many times last season), it's the fact that he is played very high up the pitch so generally doesn't have the ball very far out. In our title-winning season, he was always played off a main striker (be it Balotelli or Dzeko) and had far more space to work in around the box and was placed there more often, resulting in him showing his ability to score from distance (West Brom, Swansea, Fulham, Liverpool, Norwich etc)

Oh, and just for the record, I also think Aguero should be played as a striker (whether in a 2 or on his own) rather than too deep or out wide.

CaliforniaBlue said:
Clowny said:
CaliforniaBlue said:

kun posted some videos on page 13. If you want more, you can probably find them on Youtube.

Kun is making the same point I am making. Aguero has an exceptional dribbling technique.

He may well be the second best dribbler in our team after Silva, but that doesn't make him a brilliant dribbler. If you lose the ball half the time you try to dribble, I don't think you can call yourself a brilliant dribbler.

And now you are talking out of your arse mate. There are many goals like the 4th one against Norwich, spurs away where he created a chance himself by dribbling. A poacher can't do that. He is as comfortable drifting outside the box as he is in it. No, the wings and midfield are not his natural position but he has the capability to play as the second striker, if required. Although I agree with you, he should lead the line.

So that's 6 long range goals (and there may be one or two you missed) out of 47 goals for City. I'd say that's pretty rare.

That's more than poachers like Gomez score.

Not that I suggested it, but what's so bad about being a goal poacher anyway? I didn't say he should sit on the six-yard line and look for tap-ins, I said he should be leading the line in a position to use his many great attributes to best effect. I'd probably get an argument if I said he didn't make a great cup of coffee...

Because it's just not the truth?

Edit: Kun summed it up for me.

kun said:
He actually only scored 1 from outside the box last season (Liverpool).
But that isn't due to the fact he can't score from outside (he showed that he can many times last season), it's the fact that he is played very high up the pitch so generally doesn't have the ball very far out. In our title-winning season, he was always played off a main striker (be it Balotelli or Dzeko) and had far more space to work in around the box and was placed there more often, resulting in him showing his ability to score from distance (West Brom, Swansea, Fulham, Liverpool, Norwich etc)

Oh, and just for the record, I also think Aguero should be played as a striker (whether in a 2 or on his own) rather than too deep or out wide.

I'm glad we can agree on the bottom line of the argument at least! I accept that he can score from further out, I just think (as I guess you do too) that his best attributes are wasted too far back or out wide, and that we now have better options for those roles.

We have a such a quality squad now that we can mix and match to whoever we play. Can add width and pace or more strength in the middle. Can play with wingers or attacking midfielders. It is too hard to pick the best 11 because it all depends on who we play and form etc. The squad now means that the players will have to be at their best to stay in the side. Whereas we could pick the best 11 last season it is impossible now. Barry doesnt get a look in whereas he wouldve been in most last season.

kun said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
He is one of the best dribblers around, he is very quick and often scores from distance. I don't know who you watch?
How many of these aren't either brilliant dribbles, long rangers or goals that show off his pace?

More dribbling:

Wow - was there ever, in history of forums a point better proven than this one? A great video and right on point. For me, Aguero is one of the best dribblers in the world. He is better than Silva for me in that department as Aguero's dribbling is simply more potent and I feel he is able to line up a few more defenders in one dribbling maneuver. Aguero, for me, would never be played as a lone striker. He is one of my favorite City players, but especially in those games when partnered with another forward (in case of 13/14 that would be with Dzeko or Negredo).

CaliforniaBlue said:
kun said:
CaliforniaBlue said:

More dribbling:

aguero is a great dribbler, have you seen his goal vs united ?

he's particularly known for his awesome dribbling skills.

that's why i always say that he's wasted as the main striker. because he has such incredible technique and dribbling skills he should play as a false winger, or behind the main striker.

I certainly respect the views of the two posters above, but to prove the point that someone is brilliant at something requires more than just a few examples. If anyone has good data on Aguero's dribbling success rate for the season, that would be much more helpful. After all, just because you know three people who smoked all their lives and lived till they're 90 doesn't mean smoking's good for you, only large data sets can show you that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.