Stephen Ireland Unhappy With Contract Progression.

RealMancsAreBlue said:
Just when you thought our season couldnt get anymore depressing, Ireland isnt happy and could be leaving....

Stephen Ireland hints at quitting Manchester City over contract delays

• Midfielder unhappy with offer and stalling
• Mark Hughes gets Abu Dhabi vote of confidence

Stephen Ireland

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland is seeking improved financial terms from the club for a contract extension. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP/Getty Images

Stephen Ireland has compounded a disappointing season for Manchester City by expressing his frustration about the length of time it is taking for the club to put together his new contract.

Ireland, the overwhelming choice to be named as City's player of the year at the club's end-of-season dinner on Wednesday, has been offered a new five-year deal with a sliding pay scale, starting off with a weekly salary of £60,000, rising to £70,000 after the first year and then £80,000 in a further 12 months.

Mark Hughes, the City manager, whose own position was ratified by the club's owners in Abu Dhabi Monday, said last week that Ireland was "very close" to signing. However, that prompted a terse response from Ireland tonight, disputing the club's ­version of events and floating the possibility that he would not commit himself to City unless the financial terms were significantly improved.

"We're nowhere, to be honest," he said. "We're still a long way off. Talks have barely started and I don't know what's going to happen or if I'm going to sign or not sign. It's out of my hands right now. It's up to the club, not me. But we're way off at the moment and it's getting to the stage now where I don't know if I'm going to be signing or not. That's down to the club, not me anymore."

Ireland currently earns £26,000 a week and ultimately stands to treble his salary but the midfielder is aware that several other players, such as Wayne Bridge on £93,000, will still be earning more than him.

"I think I've done enough this year," he continued. "I've let my football do the talking and now it's up to the club if they want to make an offer or not. They haven't really made a proper offer yet. If they make me an offer, great. But if not, I've got two years left at the club."

Ireland's apparent disenchantment comes only a week after claiming he would like to remain at City for the remainder of his career, and he is still understood to be keen to commit his future to the club, just on better figures than have currently been proposed. He is, however, disillusioned about the way the team have failed to qualify for Europe in a season in which Hughes has spent in excess of £100m on new players.

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the club's ­chairman, tried to put an end to the speculation about Hughes' future today by doing a rare interview with the club's website in which he reiterated he had the "highest confidence" in the manager.City, however, are 10th in the league and Ireland said that had to be regarded as a failure.

"We're all gutted – very, very disappointed; speechless, to be honest, that the season is over and we can't do anything about it now," he said. "We expected to do better in Europe and we should have done better in the league to get there again.

"We just have to pick ourselves up now. We have to get rid of our frustration next weekend [against Bolton] and start like a house on fire next season. Hopefully next season will be very positive for us."

The incessant debate about Hughes's future was described by Al Mubarak as placing "incredible and unnecessary pressure" on the manager, and Ireland also spoke up on behalf of a man who claimed last week he was "proud" of his first season's work.

"A lot of pressure goes with the job but I think he deserves a lot more credit than he's been getting," said Ireland. "It is very unfair. Everyone is backing him, all the players are backing him. Next season we'll give it a really good go. He's definitely the right man for the job."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/18/stephen-ireland-contract-manchester-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ester-city</a>

wayne fucking bridge 93,000 a week. how much would a good fullback cost.

we must be paying him by the foot, thank fuck he can only use his left, otherwise it would cost us 186,000 a week

r.soleofsalford said:
wayne fucking bridge 93,000 a week. how much would a good fullback cost.

we must be paying him by the foot, thank fuck he can only use his left, otherwise it would cost us 186,000 a week

He can use his left ??? what for ? because its not for tackling or crossing !

The Daily Bluemoon115 said:
Stephen Ireland ready to commit his futre to Manchester City

Mancester City midefielder Stephen Ireland is ready to commit his futre to Manchester City. It is believed that talks are being left until the close season, which is typically when contract negotiations are held. Asked if he had opened talks with the club yet, he responded:

"We're nowhere, to be honest," he said. "We're still a long way off. Talks have barely started and I don't know what's going to happen or if I'm going to sign or not sign. It's out of my hands right now. It's up to the club, not me. But we're way off at the moment and it's getting to the stage now where I don't know if I'm going to be signing or not. That's down to the club, not me anymore."

Ireland currently earns £26,000 a week and ultimately stands to treble his salary with a long term contract. After praise from fans his manager, and even star players such as Robinho, it is unlikely that the club will fail to offer him a new deal.

"I think I've done enough this year," he continued. "I've let my football do the talking and now it's up to the club if they want to make an offer or not. They haven't really made a proper offer yet. If they make me an offer, great. But if not, I've got two years left at the club."

You can spin absolutely anything. All he's saying is that the club have not opened negotiations yet.

Re: The Worst POSSIBLE News

RealMancsAreBlue said:
jimharri said:
There's a thread about the same "story" two rungs down on the same bloody page. Why the fuck did you feel the need to start another thread? For fuck's sake.

because i didnt 'fucking' see it its just come on newsnow so i printed ok poppit?
So you don't check on here before you start a thread "poppit"? Plus you pay heed to what newsnow says?

Re: Stephen Ireland Unhappy About Contract Delay?

Stephen is in the same boat as nearly every other player at the club.

This is not 'rag journalism' it's the truth.

Re: The Worst POSSIBLE News

jimharri said:
RealMancsAreBlue said:
jimharri said:
There's a thread about the same "story" two rungs down on the same bloody page. Why the fuck did you feel the need to start another thread? For fuck's sake.

because i didnt 'fucking' see it its just come on newsnow so i printed ok poppit?
So you don't check on here before you start a thread "poppit"? Plus you pay heed to what newsnow says?

no need to get your knickers in a twist my little Irish friend, I make a mistake ! whoopy do !

Re: Stephen Ireland Unhappy About Contract Delay?

I hope this is just more rag see you next tuesday journalism...

if not, the club better get it sorted as soon as bloody possible. to be honest, if wayne bridge was earning more than me, i'd be pretty p155ed off too!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.