Stoke V City Post Match Discussion Thread [Merged]

smithy167 said:
brian the blue said:
I was never really convinced that we'd win the league anyway, but it's safe to say it's gone now.

A draw away at Stoke isn't that bad of a result considering their goal was a 1 in a million strike.

The most disheartening thing about today is that after we equalised, we couldn't even conjure up one bit of pressure on Stoke in the last 15/20 minutes. It was almost embarrasing how Stoke had the better of it after we equalised, and we were the team who genuinely had something to play for.

It's all got too predictable i'm afraid, away fixtures at teams who will put up a bit of a fight are games where we'll drop points. We won't beat any of Norwich, Arsenal and Newcastle away the way we're playing. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to take their emotions out of it and just look at the situation as it is... We haven't put in a good performance away from home since the 6-1, and there is no evidence what so ever to suggest it will improve, if anything, it looks like it could get worse.
Amazing that all these so called city fans keep telling us who we wont beat aint it gets you thinking...

he's right in fairness, by the time we play the rags it may be over if we carry on away from home like we are. looking at our away form today i cringed.

How do fellas (lasses too lol)?
Stoke season ticket holder here (not here for a row btw lol).

I've read through a few pages on here and to be honest, I am a little disappointed at some of you guys but hey here's what I thought:
I don't think Mancini picked the ideal team to play us but I think part of your issue today was your inability to dominate in midfield. Stark contrast to the final... a game that we played well, you simply played better and it was midfield where you smashed us to pieces. That and the fact Balotelli had the game of his lifetime (imo) and was a completely different player to the one I saw today.

Dzeko wasn't the best player to stick up front. I don't deny his ability but against Shawcross and Huth you're unlikely to dominate in the air. So often we walk away from the Brit and it isn't a goal from a header... it's one from a through ball, or a brilliant piece of skill or a long shot. I don't know about your availability of players today but before the game, I was surprised and kind of satisfied that Dzeko was playing.

I know some of you are feeling like Howard Webb was our 12th man today but he really wasn't. It's not often two sets of fans walk away and genuinely feel the ref was terrible but he was. Surprising because I do feel he's the best England has to offer. There was a number of good Stoke penalty shouts and I thought he allowed a couple of your lads get away with a bit of gamesmanship.
I've seen that word protection popping up and unfortunately, I don't understand the football terminologies definition anymore. I think some of you (and the rest of the footballing world) are confusing genuine protection with petty protection. It was my understanding that the word protection was used after some of the horrific injuries that took place in the last few seasons, including A Ramseys. Putting a firm but fair aerial challenge in does not require protection. Putting a firm but fair slide tackle in does not require protection. In the last few weeks, Stoke have been on the receiving end of some incredibly poor decisions due to this protection misinterpretation... Huth's tackle against Sunderland didn't touch the guy and Rory Delap's tackle in the Crawley game actually WON the ball. However in the game with Stoke vs Arsenal, it was a fast paced game with poor tackles flying in (from BOTH teams). Fabregas threw a real shocker in on Wilson I think it was. The ref didn't deal with it properly (where protection should have been implemented) and the game got even faster and more aggressive and the result was Ramseys bad injury. Today, there were no vicious tackles, no really bad aerial tackles. Whiteheads challenge with Silva was more unfortunate than nasty imo and let's be honest, the tackle on Whelan was very poor so unless I'm mistaken, protection is not the correct word to describe what you wanted.

For those who thought Crouch scored a lucky goal... Isn't luck described as success (or failure) brought on by chance rather than actions. Crouch turned skilfully and hammered a brilliant shot on target that flew in. Toure strikes from 40 yards, takes a massive deflection and goes in. Which one was lucky? Hmm.

I still think you will win the title if you keep your heads in your upcoming fixtures. Part of your problem today I felt was discipline. It is in your hands, but you need to maintain a run of form, something which United seem to have just about hit.

Off the match...
Bit disappointed at those calling us a pub team, rugby team (hence the name), sunday league team etc blah blah... I don't deny that strategically, our game relies on the long ball, but I actually believe our style is a bit more unique than the old fashioned Wimbledon way. We actually can pass it and I think people forget that we have players who previously in their careers relied on a less direct game and as such they are able to incorporate more than just the long ball. I don't know if it's the younger Man City fans saying that... those who can't remember the humble roots when both of us were hammering it in the old Division 2. Of course, it could be those who have only supported you for the last 2 years but surely they don't exist ? :P Better ask Rio lol!!

I noticed a few people mention the losses to QPR, Sunderland etc. Our home form has been erratic but against Liverpool we won 1-0, against Chelsea we drew 0-0, against Man Utd we drew 1-1. This isn't a coincidence. We do play well at home usually, and some of the games we lost have been in bizarre circumstances. Dodgy Huth red card against Sunderland, fucking awful ref against QPR, and simply a crap performance against Newcastle.

Finally, for the few who mentioned the Valencia game that we lost... Yes, we did lose, to a stunning strike from 30 yards out. They played a similar game to you and achieved little up front. It took a brilliant strike from distance to win them the game (and effectively the tie).

brian the blue said:
I was never really convinced that we'd win the league anyway, but it's safe to say it's gone now.

A draw away at Stoke isn't that bad of a result considering their goal was a 1 in a million strike.

The most disheartening thing about today is that after we equalised, we couldn't even conjure up one bit of pressure on Stoke in the last 15/20 minutes. It was almost embarrasing how Stoke had the better of it after we equalised, and we were the team who genuinely had something to play for.

It's all got too predictable i'm afraid, away fixtures at teams who will put up a bit of a fight are games where we'll drop points. We won't beat any of Norwich, Arsenal and Newcastle away the way we're playing. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to take their emotions out of it and just look at the situation as it is... We haven't put in a good performance away from home since the 6-1, and there is no evidence what so ever to suggest it will improve, if anything, it looks like it could get worse.

Why is it safe to say? nothing is safe untill its mathematically impossible.
But I understand your concern

smithy167 said:
Our title? dont know any city fans who think this is our title

With better management,it should have been.

It was ours for the taking,tactics and squad quality/depth have probably cost us.

We should also have made far better progress in the cups.

brian the blue said:

The pissing about with the ball at the back when we needed urgency was shocking. It was an Alan Ball type moment.

We may have lost the title when Giggs scored that 95th minute winner at Carrow Road. It seems to have given them a new lease of life and ourselves a boot in the face. We desperately need something similar to work in our favour.

lionheart said:
We may have lost the title when Giggs scored that 95th minute winner at Carrow Road. It seems to have given them a new lease of life and ourselves a boot in the face. We desperately need something similar to work in our favour.

That wasn't luck or good fortune it was purely down to desire and intense pressure.They break with pace,power and numbers,getting men forward and pumping dangerous balls into the area at every opportunity,they don't piss and fart about around the penalty box.....

brian the blue said:

I've checked again and it looks broken. I am a certified crystal ball mechanic and can now confirm you that your crystal ball is broken, get it sort it sir

So, is Whitehead going to be retrospectively banned or not? For a ref to say that an elbow that caused an serious injury to Silva is not a foul, is hypocritical, especially when the Lescott elbow incident was actually considered by the FA for a ban..

Mancini isn't good enough for these players.Bring on: van Gaal, Mourinho, Guardiola, Capello and other top managers, we have enough money.

We will never be champions till he is here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.