Stop moaning and get behind Mancini

Damocles said:
BillyShears said:
Your assessment of his time at City hinges basically on that you think he needs more time to get more out of the players. With respect, I don't think time will make him change the way we play - and ultimately the way he wants us to play won't win us the league unless we sign another six world class players this summer.

All managers change their style of play with time, however, I'd particularly be interested to hear why you believe that this style cannot currently win the league.

Whatever your views of Mancini, Even the most pro Mancini fans must be a little concerned with the style of football we play. Its so boring and slow

Damocles said:
BillyShears said:
Your assessment of his time at City hinges basically on that you think he needs more time to get more out of the players. With respect, I don't think time will make him change the way we play - and ultimately the way he wants us to play won't win us the league unless we sign another six world class players this summer.

All managers change their style of play with time, however, I'd particularly be interested to hear why you believe that this style cannot currently win the league.

Because we don't have a full back good enough to provide the creativity required for the system to have enough width to open up teams who park the bus. Because we don't have a centre half good enough to come out of the defense with the ball. Because we don't have cover for Silva, nor a goal scorer if Tevez is injured.

Regarding the way we play - the biggest limitation is this: the fundamental of the system is that you pass your way through the opposition, whilst controlling the tempo and the ball. Unfortunately, we don't have the players good enough to do this when we come up against decent opposition. Which is why Roberto continually parks the bus rather than vary his style of play.

Hmmm..I agree with your assessments on the state of the squad as it currently stands, though I think both Toure and Kompany can bring the ball out of defence. I agree in your biggest limitation, but don't think that it's down to lack of talent, rather a lack of understanding in each other movements. In fact, a lack of movement all together, we are tediously immobile off of the ball, apart from Tevez and Balo.

However, I don't believe that this is a huge barrier to winning the league, I still think that our squad using our style can do it, once everybody concentrates a bit more. The lack of fluidity between Silva, Tevez, Dzeko, and Balo at the front is hard to watch; they could be playing a Total Football type system (indeed, this is what Mancini is going for up top), but they don't seem to be doing so for some reason. If I knew why, then I'd be the manager!

We also lack the ability to change our tempo at a moment's notice, because of this lack of off the ball movement. Too many times we have to pass to the side as the opposition are pressing and we can't find an available person in front; Richards is starting to look positively pissed off with this.

Damocles said:
The only thing Mancini and the players need, is time. That's it. We know he's a good manager because he's previously won things. We know that they are good players because we have seen them be good in the past. All that needs to happen, is that we need to fucking leave them alone to get on with their job for a little while, and we'll be absolutely fine.

Remember when Mancini said that we as a club don't have a winning mentality? I've read loads on here today saying that we will lose the FA Cup semi, finish 5th or 6th, and that we should sack our manager. Can you actually believe that? We get to the crunch time where we should all be pulling together as a club, and we have some actually saying sack the manager! This myth of City fans as the most loyal in the world has been completely smashed since the money came in, where now people equate increased investment with instant success. Investment wins fuck all. Sustained investment wins everything. Two seasons isn't sustained investment.

We are currently in bad form because we've had a mini injury crisis and we don't yet possess the character as a squad to overcome it. Character building as a team unit takes time.

So, in answer to your main point, I'm advocating keeping the previously proven manager, keeping the previously proven players and giving them half a chance to get something special together.

A well thought out and considered post..I have highlighted a few bits that really make sense as far as I am concerned.

If I might just add a final metaphor. As someone who enjoys climbing it has been said many times, and I have experienced this, that the last part of the Mountain before the summit is the toughest. This is a time to dig in and just get there. I honestly believe we are moving forward and have seen it in our play. The first 20 mins against Chelsea we looked fabulous and I for one really enjoyed watching us play. That is where it's going. We will reach a point where we can sustain that style and pace.
I agree also that we have been unlucky with injuries but I do think we are in a superb position right now to 'get to the top' of this particular hill...then we look for the next summit and build towards that. I cannot compare this side to the side of 12 months ago. I think we are much improved....and I think our competitors would say the same. That was a big win for Chelsea yesterday.

The winning mentality is not present here in general and may be understandable as most of the forum will have no memory of City at the top..I remember us winning stuff. The doubts leading up to those games were the same but the feeling of crossing the line makes all the difference.We have many posters who have in effect already consigned this season to failure. Incredible. We can win a CL place and we can win a Cup....and we will cross the line first again.

as you can probable see from my profile i read a lot of comments but hardly ever post. I read a lot recently about "moaners" and "happy clappers" but i don't think it is mancini we need to get behind, it is City.

I've been in the depths of dispair at times sinve the takeover, because we aren't the Jason van-blerk, or Laurent Charvet City of old, we should expect more. But it's beginning to dawn how hard it is, and for where we are now, at this point in time, fourth and FA cup semi, we are going in the right way.

Whether or not you have the confidence in the curent set-up to do it, all it takes is some decent performances from now and a few results to go our way in big games, and we could be enjoying our holibobs with a Champions League spot and an FA Cup.

So let's just do the very little we can actually do and get behind those Super Blues, from the first minute to the last, in every game now until the end of the season.

We can have the debate of where to go next then.

Why did Khaldoon and the City board choose an italian coach??????!!!!!!

We all know what kind of football they play there. Tactical with slow pace.

Thats the whole reason why we dont play with high tempo! Mancini has adapted the italian game to City.

Damocles said:
Hmmm..I agree with your assessments on the state of the squad as it currently stands, though I think both Toure and Kompany can bring the ball out of defence. I agree in your biggest limitation, but don't think that it's down to lack of talent, rather a lack of understanding in each other movements. In fact, a lack of movement all together, we are tediously immobile off of the ball, apart from Tevez and Balo.

However, I don't believe that this is a huge barrier to winning the league, I still think that our squad using our style can do it, once everybody concentrates a bit more. The lack of fluidity between Silva, Tevez, Dzeko, and Balo at the front is hard to watch; they could be playing a Total Football type system (indeed, this is what Mancini is going for up top), but they don't seem to be doing so for some reason. If I knew why, then I'd be the manager!

We also lack the ability to change our tempo at a moment's notice, because of this lack of off the ball movement. Too many times we have to pass to the side as the opposition are pressing and we can't find an available person in front; Richards is starting to look positively pissed off with this.

And this is where my faith in Mancini has evaporated. If the players are struggling with the system, he should've adapted it, because that's his job as manager. Just sitting back and berating them for not being good enough, isn't IMO good management.

BillyShears said:
And this is where my faith in Mancini has evaporated. If the players are struggling with the system, he should've adapted it, because that's his job as manager. Just sitting back and berating them for not being good enough, isn't IMO good management.

As I say, he will be as aware of it as us, but frustratingly for us, he's the only one who gets to see what he does to remedy it on the training pitch!

Here's my analogy on Mancini's problem for you:

I have a 2 dogs, one of which is called Teflon, who is a bull mastiff. He looks a bit like this:

bullmastiff-pic.jpg

Now, Teflon is a big dog and as a puppy, he needs regular exercise. Near me, I have a choice of two places to take him out to when I go running; one is a pretty open field next to a river and a motorway, another one is a pretty narrow nature reserve path with fences every few hundred metres. The field is pretty wide open, and we could both run for miles there without major interruption whilst the nature reserve is more secure.

At first, I started to take him to the nature reserve. He was only a puppy and he wasn't yet aware how to behave properly. He couldn't really stretch his legs for a prolonged period of time but I enjoyed the safety of not having to worry about him attacking/getting attacked/running away, etc. Everything was fenced off, and it was nice and safe.

After a while, both of us were getting to the fence without really pushing ourselves too hard and he was starting to misbehave a little bit. I mean, this went against all logic, why was he misbehaving when he was put in such a safe and secure environment; one that was pretty much suited to his needs?

The answer is in the question.

I had to learn to take him to the big field instead. Yes, he might jump in the fast flowing river and die. Yes, he might jump onto the motorway and get hit by a huge truck, but the decision has to be his. I refused to put my trust in him until it started to affect his performance when running. Only then did I realise that.

However, this time in the nature reserve taught him that he needs to run beside me, and taught him of the dangers of normal life. If I would have put him straight on the big field, he would have died because he's a bit of a balloon, and wouldn't have known how to handle it.

The key to everything is balance.

One day, Mancini will release the hounds, so to speak but only when he feels that they are ready. I personally feel that with much of our team regaining its fitness over the international break, we should start getting a bit more adventurous, movement wise, but I don't speak to them every day and don't have a complex understanding of their tactical awareness. I do think that we've become a bit more forward looking in the last couple of games.

Either way, my main point is that it's too early to judge anything and if you are judging the performances of the first season players and the first season coach now, you better have some extraordinary evidence or arguments to back this up, better than "omg he's Italian"

EDIT: That last part wasn't directed at you Billy, you know that I highly respect your arguments and opinions on football :)

BillyShears said:
Damocles said:

Because we don't have a full back good enough to provide the creativity required for the system to have enough width to open up teams who park the bus. Because we don't have a centre half good enough to come out of the defense with the ball. Because we don't have cover for Silva, nor a goal scorer if Tevez is injured.

Regarding the way we play - the biggest limitation is this: the fundamental of the system is that you pass your way through the opposition, whilst controlling the tempo and the ball. Unfortunately, we don't have the players good enough to do this when we come up against decent opposition. Which is why Roberto continually parks the bus rather than vary his style of play.

I can see your point more with each passing week at present. I am hoping we come back out of our shell after a two week rest (for the majority)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.