Stop the 4-2-2-2 and go with a three man midfield, PLEASE!!!

Re: Stop the 4-2-2-2 and go with a three man midfield, PLEAS

And do you think we would have been 2-0 up if we had played one upfront? I missed the match cos I'm travelling, but what I read is first goal was Dzeko to Aguero. Moreover, MP DID switch to a 4-2-3-1 when we were still winning 2-1. So we basically won 2-1 with 4-4-2 and lost 1-0 with 4-2-3-1.

442 Must Go

I'll say it. 8 points behind in the League tomorrow and struggling in Europe. Time for Pellegrini to swallow his pride and sacrifice Dzeko for an extra midfielder. If he doesn't the League could be over by Christmas, because this Chelsea team aren't going to bottle it like Liverpool did. Not a kneejerk reaction to today, although today was a perfect example of why a change in formation is needed.

Re: 442 Must Go

hgblue said:
I'll say it. 8 points behind in the League tomorrow and struggling in Europe. Time for Pellegrini to swallow his pride and sacrifice Dzeko for an extra midfielder. If he doesn't the League could be over by Christmas, because this Chelsea team aren't going to bottle it like Liverpool did. Not a kneejerk reaction to today, although today was a perfect example of why a change in formation is needed.

4-4-2 is ok at home against mediocre oppostion , but when you go to a place like west ham and they are fyling , you need to treat them with respect , dzeko was terrible today and he could have been subbed after 25 minutes and changed to 4-5-1, we were being overrun . It appears MP is more bothered about playing entertaining football than winning games , having said that , i despise the way mourinho approaches some games when he has got a squad with £500m of talent available . It all boils down to which MCFC do you want ? An entertaining team that will win a few trophies or a killing machine that will bore you to death some weeks but will win everything

Bayern absolutely destroyed Barca a couple of years back using a two up top and often use Muller in an advanced role. Atletico Madrid played two up top much of the time last year and won La Liga. We ourselves won the league playing two up top. Juventus trounced Serie A using Tevez and Llorente up front.

Every major league in Europe was won by a team who plays with two up front either as their main system or as one which they often switch two.

There is this fashion to say things like "the 4-4-2 is old fashioned" which is totally bollocks. Formations and styles aren't the be-all and end-all of football and there's no right or wrong way to set up. Look at the difference in how we're playing this and last season and we're playing the same formation.

Saying that a certain formation doesn't "work" is like saying that a certain musical note doesn't work. It's just daft and the obsession around a set of numbers describing where players stand on the pitch is just puzzling. I genuinely blame FIFA and Football Manager for this type of stuff.

Dzeko anonymous, Yaya too deep and made to pay by Noble and Song. We put in a toothless performance.

Choosing an ever changing back-line is our main downfall as there really is no cohesion at the moment.

4-4-2 : Dzeko/Aguero compete for the same space, and never link up well with each other. Silva is pushed wide and can't dictate play as much. Yaya pushes up leaving Fernando isolated. We get overran in midfield by any team, doesn't matter the quality, quantity beats us, leading to counter attacks and easy goals. We have less possession thus also have less time attacking and score less goals. This is a disastrous formation for City.

4-2-3-1 : Aguero has space to beat defenders 1v1 or run in behind. Silva can make the passes to Aguero or feed either fullback/winger making runs and dictates play. We have 2 holding midfielders who can help break up play and stop counter attacks/control the centre of the park. All this leads to more possession, more fluent attacks, more goals and less likely to get caught on the break. This is the formation City HAVE to play.

How Pellegrini can't see these simple tactics is beyond me. I like the guy but if he starts the next match playing 4-4-2 I will be wanting him to go because it would show how tactically inept he really is. If he is desperate to play 2 strikers, why not do what we did for the last 30 minutes today - Jovetic on the left looked pretty effective linking up with Silva/Aguero and allows us to play 4-2-3-1.

4-4-2/4-2-2-2 : Dzeko/Aguero compete for the same space, and never link up well with each other. Silva is pushed wide and can't dictate play as much. Yaya pushes up leaving Fernando isolated. We get overran in midfield by any team, doesn't matter the quality, quantity beats us, leading to counter attacks and easy goals. We have less possession thus also have less time attacking and score less goals. This is a disastrous formation for City.

4-2-3-1 : Aguero has space to beat defenders 1v1 or run in behind. Silva can make the passes to Aguero or feed either fullback/winger making runs and dictates play. We have 2 holding midfielders who can help break up play and stop counter attacks/control the centre of the park. All this leads to more possession, more fluent attacks, more goals and less likely to get caught on the break. This is the formation City should play.

How Pellegrini can't see these simple tactics is beyond me. I like the guy but if he starts the next match playing 4-4-2 I will be wanting him to go because it would show how tactically inept he really is. If he is desperate to play 2 strikers, why not do what we did for the last 30 minutes today - Jovetic on the left looked pretty effective linking up with Silva/Aguero and allows us to play 4-2-3-1.

Against the better teams away from home he could even stick a bit of a 4-3-3 with Fernando holding, Yaya/Fernandinho at CM and 2 wide players and striker up front to give us even more control in there - I assumed that was why he bought Fernando and was delighted, being a replacement for Fernandinho contributes nothing new.

Damocles said:
Bayern absolutely destroyed Barca a couple of years back using a two up top and often use Muller in an advanced role. Atletico Madrid played two up top much of the time last year and won La Liga. We ourselves won the league playing two up top. Juventus trounced Serie A using Tevez and Llorente up front.

Every major league in Europe was won by a team who plays with two up front either as their main system or as one which they often switch two.

There is this fashion to say things like "the 4-4-2 is old fashioned" which is totally bollocks. Formations and styles aren't the be-all and end-all of football and there's no right or wrong way to set up. Look at the difference in how we're playing this and last season and we're playing the same formation.

Saying that a certain formation doesn't "work" is like saying that a certain musical note doesn't work. It's just daft and the obsession around a set of numbers describing where players stand on the pitch is just puzzling. I genuinely blame FIFA and Football Manager for this type of stuff.

Your talking nonsense though if the statement is used in the context of our squad, which it is.

Not to mention that football tactics have an ebb and flow nature, and right now we are in an era of packing midfields and passing it fast.

There's an American football phrase coaches use "The first coach to play a wing-t formation got a national championship. The last coach to play it got fired". Right now 4-4-2 is out of fashion, and can work if you have a striker in there who can drop deep and counter fast or service himself and the other striker from the hole. Neither Aguero nor Dzeko are this player, where a Suarez or Tevez was.

Right now 4-4-2 with our current squad is suicidal. It doesn't suit our strikers, our midfielders, our wing play. But yeah, you convince yourself it's we've nothing but bad players and the formation is fine.

stablemcfc said:
4-4-2 : Dzeko/Aguero compete for the same space, and never link up well with each other. Silva is pushed wide and can't dictate play as much. Yaya pushes up leaving Fernando isolated. We get overran in midfield by any team, doesn't matter the quality, quantity beats us, leading to counter attacks and easy goals. We have less possession thus also have less time attacking and score less goals. This is a disastrous formation for City.

4-2-3-1 : Aguero has space to beat defenders 1v1 or run in behind. Silva can make the passes to Aguero or feed either fullback/winger making runs and dictates play. We have 2 holding midfielders who can help break up play and stop counter attacks/control the centre of the park. All this leads to more possession, more fluent attacks, more goals and less likely to get caught on the break. This is the formation City HAVE to play.

Because he's a professional football manager with 50 years experience in the game and you're not, so almost certainly has thought of these things and has also thought about reasons why he isn't doing it, which you haven't yet failed to grasp

NipHolmes said:
Dzeko anonymous, Yaya too deep and made to pay by Noble and Song. We put in a toothless performance.

Choosing an ever changing back-line is our main downfall as there really is no cohesion at the moment.

Yeah, I'd have Kolarov starting and Clichy in the midweek game with the rags coming up.

Today showed more then anything that we are really at the limit with 2 upfront: i.e the problem isnt necessarily 2 in CM but also 2 upfront. When silva moved to #10 we dominated, of course that coincided with us working hard and Jovetic coming on, but 2 things I noticed in the first half:
1) left side got exposed and the first goal came from there b/c Silva drifts inwards leaves a gap. With Jovetic on the left, SIlva is always in the middle so it doesn't affect the left as much
2) Dzeo giving the ball away as soon as he had it. taking too much time on the ball, players ran in front of him and he would lose the ball leaving us short at the back. SIlva there and we'd never lose possession dangerously

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.