Stoppage time

I think the ball is only really “in play” for about 60 mins in football. I’d dispense with it altogether tbh

Why can't football be like all other sports? Have a time keeper and just stop the clock when needed.

Or, is that too easy?
Believe me, you really do not want to go down this path. TV interests will step and use any play stoppage as an opportunity to go to a commercial break. Imagine Luke Shaw feigning starvation to get a 2 minute TV timeout. Would totally ruin the game.

Also, American football takes 4.5 hours to play a 60 minute game with approximately 12 minutes of actual gameplay.

Time should be kept by a 5th official, with specific issues stopping the clock.

For example, a free kick in the attacking third, where walls are set up, defenders come up, etc. Stop the clock when the ref blows for the foul, start it again when he blows again (exceptions to be made for Lee Mason, of course!).

Booking a player. Stop the clock. Any player that doesn’t almost immediately get up from a foul, clock stopped, Physio called on, player has to go off! That’s stop most feigning of injuries dead in its tracks.

Official clock on display for all to see, so no “injury time,” just a straight 45:00.

American football takes 4.5 hours to play a 60 minute game with approximately 12 minutes of actual gameplay.
What a silly comparison.

Official clock can be used easily and efficiently. Seen it done for 4 years playing American college soccer...no advert breaks, no nothing!

What a silly comparison.

Official clock can be used easily and efficiently. Seen it done for 4 years playing American college soccer...no advert breaks, no nothing!
Stopping the actual game clock will allow for TV encroachment. Every VAR review will go to TV breaks. Every physio on the pitch - sell more ads!!!

Your reply above is more clear - have a dedicated timekeeper that adds time as necessary to a constantly running game clock.

Why can't football be like all other sports? Have a time keeper and just stop the clock when needed.

Or, is that too easy?
Agreed. I like the system they use in rugby when at 80 minutes the clock turns red but play continues until the ball goes out of play and then it's full time. A winning team will kick the ball out of play if in possession but a losing team will play on. It takes away the referees influence on the result if fair play is preferred.

Believe me, you really do not want to go down this path. TV interests will step and use any play stoppage as an opportunity to go to a commercial break. Imagine Luke Shaw feigning starvation to get a 2 minute TV timeout. Would totally ruin the game.

Also, American football takes 4.5 hours to play a 60 minute game with approximately 12 minutes of actual gameplay.
No. The clock should only stop for genuine injury time / VAR as is the case now and not at every stoppage. So typically 1 minute in the first half if you believe time keeping now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.