Strange Boozers you have been in

Years ago a pub called Grendels in Ballyhooley, Co Cork.
Despite the smoking ban the urinal trough was full of cigarette butts. A local walked into the bar having used the phone in the kitchen and asked the landlord why he happened to have a toilet roll sitting in his microwave.
The landlord, matter of factly stated, "Well it dropped in the urinal so I had to dry it out somehow".
Cigarette ends in the urinal you say? Was there a sign up?
Screenshot_20240818-141652_Gallery.jpg

Accidentally had a beer in a knocking shop in France in the early 90's. We only realised after we'd ordered beers, and supped up and left quicky and found another bar close by. Surreal experience.

me and a mate aged about 16/17 wondered into listons in town in the late 60s, upon realising our mistake did a quick about turn but were told in no uncertain terms we aint leaving without buying a drink

"Gravediggers" next to Glasnevin Cemetery was a bit odd. Probably because we went in on a weekday when we were the only ones in there. No frills at all, definitely an experience. Not an unpleasant one, just reminiscent of simpler times.

I went to Peterborough with Hereford once and the designated away pub was a huge barge moored to the side of a canal. There was a Chinese restaurant upstairs too.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here, but the Collier's Arms at Hartshead Pike, Mossley. I only went a couple of times, probably in the early eighties, but it was basically the front room of a farmhouse with beer from a cask in another room, served through a hatch. It was pretty much the family front room. It might have also been know as the piggery. Old landlord and his family in an old fashioned room, it certainly had an atmosphere of it's own, like a set from the League of Gentlemen.
Was in there one night and as you say it was basically just a house that served beer , anyway we was in the front room when one of the lads says “ fuck me there’s a mouse there ” and the landlord is sat in his chair and replies “ aye and he lives here "

This could be a very long list but I'll go with Charlies Hole in the Wall in Gib . That was deffo a bit 'strange' !

Charlie was as bent as they come and the old salts would take the fresh faced new joiners in there and try to sell them to Charlie who would lock the door and earnestly 'negotiate'. It was funny as fuck unless you were the naive 'victim'.....
Sounds hilarious!
: (

Tommy Ducks.

I played darts in the Stockport super league in the 80's and some of the pubs we visited were very fucking strange and some were very fucking scary, an example being Brinnington's Cheshire Cat.
Mention of Tommy Ducks brings back memories of when my less than reliable uncle, unbeknownst to my mum, took me and my brother in there as kids one Saturday afternoon. I can still remember the coffin repurposed as a table and the dozens of women's knickers affixed to the ceiling!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.