Strange rules of the game

Chipmeister said:
A player commits a foul in the penalty box and is sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity, however, the referree awards a penalty, the clearest goal scoring opportunity there is so why is the player sent off ?

'Cos FICKFUFA are in charge of the rules. I suspect it was one of Gill's suggestions to the lawmakers.

Gill: I know we get a penalty, but wouldn't it make the game more spectacular if one team was also reduced to ten, particularly if it came within the first quarter of an hour!

Uli: Das ist ein wunderbar Idee, Herr Gill.

Gill: Glad yer like it, Uli. We should both be on the better end of that. Let's tell Sepp that that's what will be good for the game!

Hihosilva said:
Ive just been reading up on some of the rules of the game & here's one that suprised me.
What happens if a team kick's the ball into their own goal from a direct free kick?
Don't look it up.
Answers
There was another strange incident in a Villa v Birmingham match where a Villa player had a throw-in, threw it back to the keeper, and it went in the net. The ref, David Elleray, should have awarded a corner-kick to Birmingham, however he let the goal stand.

steviemc said:
Hihosilva said:
Ive just been reading up on some of the rules of the game & here's one that suprised me.
What happens if a team kick's the ball into their own goal from a direct free kick?
Don't look it up.
Answers
There was another strange incident in a Villa v Birmingham match where a Villa player had a throw-in, threw it back to the keeper, and it went in the net. The ref, David Elleray, should have awarded a corner-kick to Birmingham, however he let the goal stand.
I think the keeper got a slight touch, he certainly moved towards the ball. I think this might have occurred soon after the law change that prevented keepers from picking up throw-ins taken by their own team so confusion reigned; as is oftem the case in Birmingham.

steviemc said:
Hihosilva said:
Don't look it up.
Answers

That's a little different though. The laws of the game state explicitly that a player can't score from a throw-in, whether into the opposition's net or their own. The free kick example earlier doesn't follow that pattern.

Anyway, for those who are interested in actual refereeing conundrums, take a look at this. It's a fun little series (though as time has passed, for obvious reasons the scenarios have gotten more silly and improbable - check out the earlier ones if you find the current ones too outlandish):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/series/you-are-the-ref" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/ser ... re-the-ref</a>

steviemc said:
Hihosilva said:
Don't look it up.
Answers
I think the keeper was Finnish - Peter Enckelman his name. Throw-in taker was Olof Mellberg, another Scandinavian. Hmm...

Enckelman's denied touching the ball numerous times btw so should have been a corner.

IrelandSuperman said:
steviemc said:
Hihosilva said:
Don't look it up.
Answers
I think the keeper was Finnish - Peter Enckelman his name. Throw-in taker was Olof Mellberg, another Scandinavian. Hmm...

Enckelman's denied touching the ball numerous times btw so should have been a corner.
And then a Brum fan ran on the pitch to call him a wanker.

Chipmeister said:
A foul by a player outside the box that prevents the attacker from having a clear goalscoring opportunity should be a red card, because the resulting free kick is not a clear opportunity. No problem there, and the aim being a deterrent to stop players committing the professional foul. Makes sense, but in the box, a foul results in the most clear goalscoring opportunity and therefore is punishment in itself. yellow card unless reckless etc.

4 out of 5 rag players will disagree with you there.....

IrelandSuperman said:
steviemc said:
Hihosilva said:
Don't look it up.
Answers

You'll probably think this is a tad pedantic, but Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Chipmeister said:
A foul by a player outside the box that prevents the attacker from having a clear goalscoring opportunity should be a red card, because the resulting free kick is not a clear opportunity. No problem there, and the aim being a deterrent to stop players committing the professional foul. Makes sense, but in the box, a foul results in the most clear goalscoring opportunity and therefore is punishment in itself. yellow card unless reckless etc.

4 out of 5 rag players will disagree with you there..... is Phil Jones' penalty still orbiting earth?

Offside is a strange rule. It's something the lino has 0 chance of getting right really. Should go to technology asap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.