Stuart Pearce

Hughes has the far better managerial career and although not brilliant at City did a much better job than the manager who acheived our worst points total in the Premier League. Surpassing Alan Ball.
Joe Royle???

Yes, it was shit but do we owe him a little bit of credit for keeping a very poor City team in the top flight?

I think Pearce kept us up despite the utter shite he signed the previous summer like Corradi

Pearce broke up our our circle of mates who used to go to the match. We'd ring each other up on the Saturday morning and sort out which boozer we were meeting up at and at what time and discuss how we were getting to the ground and so on. After a while some of the lads started binning it off saying stuff like " I'm not using my hard earned to watch that shite, if your all going to town after the game I'll meet you there." I remember a home game against Wigan, we all trebled up at the bar at half time and stayed in the concourse downing our drinks , not even bothering about the match, eventually the stewards told us to take our seats and we just left the stadium and went into town on the piss.

Definitely the worst manager we've had in my lifetime. Boring, turgid, uninspired, negative football. The David James incident came during a high point at the start of his tenure but was probably a sign of things to come.

But with full hindsight and 15 years to think on his time here, I think he'd be remembered much more fondly if Andy Cole hadn't gotten injured during that 05/06 season and thrown a wobbly. It all went wrong after that point.

We were 7th over Christmas 2005 and even by February we were still in the fight for Europe (7 points off the top four). Cole was on to finish the season with 15 goals, Vassell not far behind - they had that cracking partnership.

But then Cole got injured and went to Portsmouth, Barton put in that transfer request and had a tantrum, and Samaras, the Great Greasy Hope, was garbage. We collapsed to 14th and Pearce never turned things around.

That 06/07 season, terrible as it felt, was probably just about the best Pearce could get out of those players. The squad was old, save for a few youngsters, and largely comprised of Championship-quality players.

The only quality we had in the team was at the back. Richards, Dunne, Distin. We (famously) didn't score many goals but we didn't concede many either and had the second best defence in the bottom half (only Villa conceded fewer).

Pearce played football that would drive anyone insane with boredom. It was definitely the worst time I've ever had following City. A huge malaise set in across the fanbase. Home attendances were as low as 30,000 sometimes.

But as others have pointed out, he didn't get us relegated when we easily could have been. John Wardle had to put £2m of his own money into the club to stop us from going under. The squad was really badly stretched.

Pearce delivered the absolute bare minimum. He didn't help himself with the David James substitution, Beanie the Horse, taking the England U21 job while still at City. But at least there was enough for Sven to work with.
Bringing this up again.

Last edited:
Joe Royle???
Joe Royle?

I hope you’re fucking joking.

The job that Joe and Willie Donachie did in restoring pride to Manchester City should never be forgotten.

He took an over-inflated squad, and along with David Bernstein's boardroom leadership got rid of the high earners and wasters, and brought us back-to-back promotions.

Anyone, who thinks Joe Royle is our worst ever manager really has no clue about this club.

Joe Royle?

I hope you’re fucking joking.

The job that Joe and Willie Donachie did in restoring pride to Manchester City should never be forgotten.

He took an over-inflated squad, and along with David Bernstein's boardroom leadership got rid of the high earners and wasters, and brought us back-to-back promotions.

Anyone, who thinks Joe Royle is our worst ever manager really has no clue about this club.
dont mean as worst manager but he did have the lowest premier league points total

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.