Stupid little things that bug you

I’m not sure if it’s a little thing, but the creeping Americanisation of British English.

A few weeks ago, a contestant on a game show gave an answer to a question about Vincent van Gogh as "van gow".

Other examples:

outside of
Off of
Putting month before day on dates, I.e. July 12th, instead of 12th July.
And many more.

I fucking hate it!

I just wanted to get that off my chest.
It all went to hell when people stopped writing “Upon thif twelfth day in the month of Jullaie in the year of our Lorde, two thoufand and twentie four”.

It really did.

I never knew that.
The yanks got most of their shit from UK, measurements still in use today, refrigeration is still measures in tons, horse power, there's yards, inches, deg F, British Thermal units for heat, inches water gauge for resistance etc etc.

Britain has abandoned all these.

It all went to hell when people stopped writing “Upon thif twelfth day in the month of Jullaie in the year of our Lorde, two thoufand and twentie four”.

It really did.
There's a Lord Snooty tribute act who recently lost his parliamentary seat who probably still writes like that.

The yanks got most of their shit from UK, measurements still in use today, refrigeration is still measures in tons, horse power, there's yards, inches, deg F, British Thermal units for heat, inches water gauge for resistance etc etc.

Abandoning inches of water for resistance was probably a decent move, to be fair.

Yeah, we’re frequent visitors to the US, and it takes a bit of getting used to all the imperial measurements each time we go over there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.