Stupid player sales

Might not fall in to the category of stupid sales but some of youngsters we have let go over the years is quite galling especially given the careers they went on to have.

Gerry taggart. Neil Lennon. Ashley ward. Paul warhurst. To name a few from when weren’t particularly good.

I didn't like us moving on Paul Stewart, David White or Niall Quinn, to a young city fan they were devastating sales. Can't say they were too stupid though as we weren't exactly the club with the biggest hopes and dreams back then.

Stupidest for me , I'd say the Angelino saga. Maybe we made money on it and it didn't weaken us, but it was awful to see us sell, bring back then sell again. Probably more to it but felt like we just saw him as a wad of cash in football boots.

Franny Lee To Derby County ,him coming back to Maine rd & scoring the winner, I think we lost 2-1, sure Derby beat us to the league that year .
Owen & Barnes to Wba was madness !
Zinc & Jesus to a competitor is madness in my eyes to ,should of forced them abroad if they wanted to leave .

Might not fall in to the category of stupid sales but some of youngsters we have let go over the years is quite galling especially given the careers they went on to have.

Gerry taggart. Neil Lennon. Ashley ward. Paul warhurst. To name a few from when weren’t particularly good.

I dont disagree with the sentiment at all, and warhurst and lennon would have done more than ok for us.
Taggart was decidedly average and ward was beyond shit who some how bagged himself a few big money moves which made no sense

Franny Lee To Derby County ,him coming back to Maine rd & scoring the winner, I think we lost 2-1, sure Derby beat us to the league that year .
Owen & Barnes to Wba was madness !
Zinc & Jesus to a competitor is madness in my eyes to ,should of forced them abroad if they wanted to leave .
How do you force players to move abroad.

I dont disagree with the sentiment at all, and warhurst and lennon would have done more than ok for us.
Taggart was decidedly average and ward was beyond shit who some how bagged himself a few big money moves which made no sense
Remember Taggart having a horror show performance int the first half at home to Liverpool one year after he just came through. Think we lost 4-1 in the end, but the crowd were getting frustrated by how poor he was and he got taken off at half time.

Did ok for himself in the end and had a good career as a big lumbering centre-half. In hindsight he had no chance that day as he got picked at left-back (edit - and he may have been up against John Barnes I think). It just wasn't his skillset.

Last edited:
Thought Ward was treated slightly unfairly - wasn't that bad and put a good shift in - unlike most at that time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.