Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

We have to accept different views to aid discussion. It is only through the latter that we all become better informed.

My basic view is one of fairness. Based on that, we should aid those in need. We should adhere to the law. And we should expect everyone in our society to contribute. It is a difficult ask but begins with leaders setting an example with their behaviour: honesty, integrity are basic requirements. That means telling the electorate the truth and making the fiscal contribution that you ask of them: we should not, IMO, have any member of the cabinet, or their families, not making a full contribution to HMRC. Cabinet members should speak truthfully about immigration so that myths are dispelled. Vulnerable people should not be targeted for political gain.

We are a long, long way away from what I wish for.
I agree we should be fair. But at the risk of repeating myself, it's getting to a point that is unsustainable. The bleeding hearts have no skin in the game I expect, and isn't it so easy to have a righteous opinion when that is the case.

I agree we should be fair. But at the risk of repeating myself, it's getting to a point that is unsustainable. The bleeding hearts have no skin in the game I expect, and isn't it so easy to have a righteous opinion when that is the case.
Where does the language 'bleeding hearts' and 'righteous opinion' come from? Discussion is good but it has to be respectful. Without investing in services, the level of immigration is unsustainable. My solution would be to invest in services through tackling the level of tax avoidance that we have. WE ALL have skin in the game.

I'm
Where does the language 'bleeding hearts' and 'righteous opinion' come from? Discussion is good but it has to be respectful. Without investing in services, the level of immigration is unsustainable. My solution would be to invest in services through tackling the level of tax avoidance that we have. WE ALL have skin in the game.
I'm not referring to you mate.

Is this level of immigration sustainable?

Yes - its a fraction of what other European countries are experiencing and if we were not in the grip of racist opinions in and out of Govt could be self sustainable. Many of the people who come here could be allowed to work, pay their way and pay taxes and help the UK fill gaps in the Labour market.

What is your view on the 1.5m average annual visa's we grant people who come here to live and work which is a massive number in comparison?

Yes - its a fraction of what other European countries are experiencing and if we were not in the grip of racist opinions in and out of Govt could be self sustainable. Many of the people who come here could be allowed to work, pay their way and pay taxes and help the UK fill gaps in the Labour market.

What is your view on the 1.5m average annual visa's we grant people who come here to live and work which is a massive number in comparison?

Exactly! the 40,000 boat crossings are what, 2.5% of total visas? It's clearly sustainable. It's just that people fall for the ridiculous premise that immigration is putting a strain on public services and not the obvious fact that they are chronically underfunded.

Is this level of immigration sustainable?

Irrelevant question.The right to claim asylum is enshrined in the UN Refugee convention of 1951 (to which the UK is a signatory) If an individual in another country is in fear of their life or is facing persecution they are entitled to claim asylum in the country of their choice. They are entitled to travel through other countries without disruption as long as they are travelling directly to their chosen country.

All I would ask is that their application is heard promptly and if successful they are integrated into society... if they are not successful they should be removed. However this Government chose to reduce the number of asylum case workers by over 50% which (including the shut down of the courts due to Covid) has led to a huge backlog and resulted in the UK having to accommodate asylum seekers in hotels. Eventually over 70% of asylum applications are granted ....and this rises to over 80% on appeal.

So the question you should be asking is why have the Tories created this problem ? Why aren't they recruiting case workers to solve the backlog? Why aren't they lobbying the UN for changes to the Refugee Convention (because they're not). Why do they insist on people only being able to claim asylum once they are in the country? Why are they paying the french to disrupt safe passage? (They wont because its clearly a breach of the Convention). Why the talk of wave machines and Rwanda?

The answer you will find is because if they resourced it properly ....and dealt with the applications promptly (preferably at Embassies and Consulates overseas) it wouldn't be that much of a ''problem'' and therefore they wouldn't be able to wind up their base.

You're being played.... sadly you cant see it.

60% were granted for students and visits, 18% for work. Those Visas? I'm fine with that. And I was waiting of being accused of having a racist opinion. We can go round in circles on this, and we've moved from my original point.

I'm

I'm not referring to you mate.
I didn't take it personally but what has happened over the last twelve years is that both sides have been demonised: lefties, radicals, anarchists, gammons, snowflakes, wokes, bleeding hearts... It is just designed to stop discussion and actual consideration of the facts.

People always say this, but the fact is I have a £20 note in my wallet and I didn't make it myself.

If the will is there, it could be done.

P.S. Most of the countries these people travel through have I.D. cards, so why not stay there and get a fake one? Because it is easier to come to the UK where there are no I.D. cards at all.

It isn't just about I.D. cards though, its I.D. cards linked to employment. How many car wash places near me, how many take-aways near me would be shut down if the employees were unable to show identification to prove they were here legally?

I actually suspect the current government likes it the way it is, ok someone may be in the non-tax (PAYE) economy working in these places, but they then spend their earnings in other places which does garner VAT and adds to the wealth of the country. That is why they talk tough, but don't ever do anything.
Just what we need. No car washes, no takeaways.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.